£400 gaming build

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by blibbax, Jan 30, 2012.

1. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

I quite often do builds for friends, family, and distant acquaintances, which I don't often post about here. However, I just wanted to check up on this one. The brief is a £400 gaming build, primarily for the new Star Wars MMO at 1080p. It must have two DVD drives, and he cares not at all about noise or looks.

I am using this article as a performance guide for that game: Star Wars: The Old Republic: PC Performance, Benchmarked : The Old Republic: A Little Backstory

Plan is:
    8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 CL9: £38
    2x Samsung SATA DVD drive: £24
    1x SATA cable (two come with board): £2
    Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2-B3: £46
    CM Elite 330 with bundled eXtreme Power 500W PSU (I know, I know): £50
    Reference GTX460: £96
    i3-2120: £95
    WD Caviar Blue 500GB: £51
    Antec 120mm tri-cool (for intake, exhaust comes with case): £2

Total: £404.

Free delivery.

(Incidentally, I'm being paid for the job with a large quantity of 2008 era partially broken computers, to be split up and ebayed. :D)

2. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

What online shop did you use?

(Also, a bit off topic but why do they need 2 DVD drives?)

3. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

They need two DVD drives so that they can leave the DVD for the game they are regularly launching in one drive and still have a drive spare. Client lazy and not willing to use cracked exes.

I use OCUK and Ebuyer and Novatech. Large orders are free delivery on all three, so I just go for the cheapest site on each item. Normally OCUK is cheapest on drives (OEM/b-stock), Novatech on graphics cards (though you gamble on brand) and Ebuyer on most other things.

4. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

5. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Client has expressed preference for Nvidia. Afaik they have a minor advantage in SW, so I don't think it's a big issue.

EDIT: That card looks familiar :p

6. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

I think that Coolermaster PSUs are quite reliable, personally.
    Vengeance - why Vengeance? Go Kingston or a cheaper Corsair. Unless you're overclocking they really won't see a difference. Ballistix Sport would do you justice at £27.99. If CL10 is an issue, pay under £5 more and you'd get CL9.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but Star Wars doesn't require a disc, even if you bought the game retail.

If you go down the AMD route you can get a 960T for £96.86, which is more powerful than the 2120 with an Asus M5A78L-M LX V2 for £39.05. Saves you £5.09.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  7. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

I bought that case and the 430W version of that PSU 3 years ago. The case is ok but not great, and the PSU gave up late 2011.

It didn't seem worth skimping for the price difference. I've dealt with a lot of cheaper DOA RAM in the past. That said, I for some reason removed Crucial from my search parameters and had not noticed the £28 solution you have there. Will probably go with that, thanks.

This guy plays lots and lots of games, he has hundreds on disc. SW is just his reason to upgrade and his main game atm.

I was very tempted, but it's slower in games, even when overclocked with aftermarket cooler, and uses a lot more power in said configuration. AM3+ is also not currently looking as upgradeable as 1155, which would take a second hand i5 or maybe even an IB (fingers crossed) in a few years. I explained this alternative to the guy, and basically all he cares about is FPS in current games.

Overclocking Benchmarks : Picking A Sub-$200 Gaming CPU: FX, An APU, Or A Pentium?

Do you strongly disagree? (I'd rather be proved wrong than make the wrong decision.)

8. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Bought.

I ended up going with an EVGA GTX 460 Superclock at £107, the Crucial memory, an Asrock H61 board and only one DVD drive, which (after a couple of small price increases on other parts) ended up with the same total price :)

I'll let you know how it goes.

9. Matth

Matth Flash Banner Hater

To cut cost on a dual Optical drive setup, one could be a DVD-ROM - but it doesn't save much £11.99 for the DVD-ROM vs £12.99 for the cheapest RW.

Whaaaa! when I think what I paid a long time ago for a 2x CDROM, a 12x CDROM, a 2x CD-RW, and so on, and always had a cheaper drive used where possible to save the dearer one, now the prices are such that you really don't care about using a DVD writer to do everything.

10. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

The very first DVD-ROM optical drive I ever bought was for the sole purpose of being able to play Tex Murphy: Overseer using the cutting-edge and newly-released DVD version of a video game. Fortunately, ACCESS had the foresight to include CDs with the game in case there were issues playing from the DVDs! That worked out for me since there WERE issues and the game would not play using the DVD version. This, after paying for a Creative Labs DVD drive at the "bargain" price of..... (hope you're sitting down.....)

$400.00 USD!

(And, I still have that DVD drive on a shelf here, too. I don't know whether to laugh or cry!)

11. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Wow...

I've always been fairly behind on optical media, now I hardly use it at all.

I generally install operating systems and the like on USB sticks, when I buy software I buy a license (e.g. Steam, serial key) and download the game.

EDIT:

The first package arrived. This one's from OCUK. I am also expecting boxes from Novatech and Ebuyer (I like to shop around to get the cheapest prices on everything).

[​IMG]

In no particular order, that's the GTX460, its manual, its two power adaptors, its VGA adaptor, its mini HDMI to HDMI adaptor, an Antec 120mm tri-cool fan, the Crucial RAM, two SATA cables (the board only comes with two, and we're planning on a total of 4 SATA devices), one molex to SATA adaptor (I know from experience that the ones on the PSU won't cover 3 hard drives and an optical drive comfortably in the chosen case) and the WD5000AAKX.

Grand total for this order, with £9 delivery charge, which is their cheapest option (but worth it because the hard drive alone was £10 cheaper than I could find anywhere else): £209.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  12. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Another shipment in, Novatech this time.

[​IMG]

13. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Some more awful quality pictures for you.

I just finished with the power cabling. Going to do some economics now before I get a little sleep.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cable management with low-end PSU and case is always a challenge. Especially given very awkwardly placed motherboard audio header.

It's not actually as bad as it looks, though - pretty much all the wiring is flat against the motherboard tray, so there shouldn't be too much obstruction for airflow.

EDIT: Hardware done!

[​IMG]

Extra SATA cables are for his old hard drives, which he'll bring when he comes to pick it up.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  14. Matth

Matth Flash Banner Hater

Huh! what case is that, the Elite 330 is PSU at the top?

15. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Elite 330U.

[​IMG]