10 band Eq not working

Discussion in 'Effects and the DSP' started by rafa79, Sep 17, 2011.

1. rafa79

rafa79 New Member

Hi,

Whenever I go into the 4X DSP and try to hook it up with the 10 Band Eq it gives me an error message saying it's registers are depleted or something (I have the portuguese version). The same happens to some other stuff I try to swap it by.

Why is this?

Thx in advance!

2. peate

peate Active Member

Not enough resources on your card, must be a Live model. Try removing reverb or chorus and it should be ok.

3. rafa79

rafa79 New Member

Yes it's a Live model, but does that mean I can't have good bass or treble?:confused:

I've just removed both the reverb and the chorus to no effect at all. Is that normal?

thx in advance!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  4. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

No, it just means the card has less resources than a 10k2 (audigy) card. In order to use the 10 band EQ (or another large plug-in) you need to remove one that you don't need or isn't as important at the moment to make room for the EQ.

To "no effect at all" meaning sound wise?

This is because the reverb and chorus are installed, but not in use in the default DSP.... They are there, but if you note before you remove them they are muted...... So you wouldn't hear them normally. You did increase the available resources by removing them, but that doesn't change the sound.

5. rafa79

rafa79 New Member

I mean I've removed the chorus and that other one the guy told me to and then I could put the 10 Eq in. But they are/were not muted. The ones I removed weren't muted, they were pretty much active but no matter what I do to them in the 4x DSP it doesn't change anything soundwise!?!?

What is this?:confused:

6. Tyrsonswood

I think you may be getting ahead of yourself here......

First, you have successfully installed the EQ in the DSP and it's working, right? Or are you not getting it to work?

As far as the reverb and chorus that you removed not being muted.... by default they are turned down to INF on the effects page and the recording page so they can't be heard. (unless you turned them up) Now that they have been removed it doesn't matter anyways.

7. rafa79

rafa79 New Member

What I'm trying to say is that no matter what I do to the settings in the 4X DSP nothing changes in the sound. It all remains the same. For instance: I can boost up the bass or the treble in the 10 Band Eq and nothing happens in the sound. I've tested this using my mp3's and games. Nothing really happens no matter what I do in the 4X DSP.:confused:

8. Tyrsonswood

Where in the DSP did you place the EQ and how did you hook it up? Typically after removing the chorus/reverb you would find the "timbre" plugin and replace it with the 10 band, making sure it's connected exactly the same way.

Also, what driver version and OS are you working with?

9. rafa79

rafa79 New Member

I've put the 10 band Eq in the same place as the Timbre as I replaced it and hooked it up the same way as the Timbre. Still no matter what I do to it as I double click it, nothing happens soundwise.

10. peate

peate Active Member

Where are your speakers plugged in to? Green or black? kX swaps those by default so the EQ affects the black output only.

11. rafa79

rafa79 New Member

My earphones are plugged into the green thing, I'll try the black now. Thx!

12. rafa79

rafa79 New Member

Ok I've just tried the black jack and it doesn't work either. I mean if I swap the front out with the back out there's sound from the black jack but the 4X DSP as a whole still doesn't work.

13. peate

peate Active Member

Without seeing your actual DSP and set-up, it's hard to pinpoint the problem. If the EQ is correctly connected to the surrounder and epilog, right-click on it and make sure it is enabled. Also, see that it is not on by-pass. Move the sliders up and listen carefully, you should hear a difference. That's really all the help I can offer at the moment.

14. rafa79

rafa79 New Member

Ok here's a picture of the arrangement of my 4X DSP:

Attached Files:

15. peate

peate Active Member

Looks OK to me. I'm unable to determine why it doesn't work. BTW it's kX not 4X just to avoid confusion.

Maybe someone else has a suggestion to try, but I'm out of ideas, sorry.

16. blitter2

blitter2 New Member

Try to built this DSP.

You need ProFX and UFX installed.

On SRC of left (ProFX plug-in) use FXBus 2/3

St Vol is a volume adjustment plug-in you can skip it. I use 30% on that.

On k1lt (ProFX plug-in) select which output of your pci card you want to connect your speakers to.
    Green color plug is Front, Black is Rear and Orange is Center.

Imageshack - dsp.png

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  17. peate

peate Active Member

I thought of suggesting a custom DSP but I'm not sure of the OP's experience with kX. However, he's better off using FXBus 0/1 since that is the default unless he's changed it in sound properties. I guess it also depends on what OS he's using but his taskbar looks like Win7. Maybe part of his soundcard is busted, who knows.

18. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

With headphones you should probably use the green jack and disable (uncheck) the "Toggle Swap Front and Rear" option on the Main page of kX Mixer.

With Vista/7, try setting SPDIF/AC3 as the default audio device for Windows.

Also, in the kX DSP, you might try connecting peak plugins right before and right after the EQ, to see if there is a difference in the signal level (before/after) with the EQ maxed out, etc.

19. rafa79

rafa79 New Member

Could you please post a picture of what that arrangement would look like?

20. rafa79

rafa79 New Member

Could you please post me a picture of how it would look like so I can do it myself on mine?