280GTX-->5870 - Worth It???

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by Necrosis, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

I'm contemplating this upgrade, do you guys or gals think it's worth it? I only have the regular 280 too, and resolution will be 1920x1200.

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

As some of you might now, for the last generation or two, I just prefer ATI cards.

If I were you, I would say no. In terms of speed performance is not worth a full price card of the level of a 5870 (hundreds of $)
    Unless of course you demand DX 11, but even then I would seriously prefer to get the 5970.

If I were you, I would wait pass this generation of cards unless you find one at half price or something.

3. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

Well I have decided to make the leap from a GTX 285 2GB to a Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X, though the performance increase varies (usually up to 20%) it's not a huge leap. I will also be using it only at 1920x1200. My reasons are thus:

-5870 has DTS-HD/DD TrueHD output via HDMI, no new soundcard needed
    when outputting to a receiver
    -5870 runs quieter and much cooler at idle at load, also consumes less power (some of this is specific to the Vapor X model)
    -DX10.1 and 11 support...not that big a deal but games are already coming out that use it
    -Physx, where art thou? I stuck with Nvidia partly because of the allure of many Physx titles that came out or were promised. That was then, now Physx is rarely used. Fancy words like Tesselation are all the rage and we're more likely to see DX11 features than Physx in upcoming games because Nvidia needs developers to utilize the new features of their flagship cards.

But it really comes down to these two factors:
    1)Nvidia GTX 480 is a big fat bust. Doesn't own the 5870 enough to make it appealing.
    2)Selling my GTX 285 at this time will at the very least pay for half of the cost of a 5870, this makes the small performance increase easier to swallow. If you wait for the next refresh your 280 resell value will be far less than it is now.

In summary, go for it and never look back :D

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  4. Necrosis

Your comments make sense but I feel that itch to upgrade, and have been on the same card for two years. It appears I would at least gain a 20-30FPS increase in most games. After experiencing the limitations of dual cards and/or combo GPU/cards I dare say I rather not have that experience again. Never mind the fact I would find it hard to convince myself to spend over $600 on a video card.

I'm not even contemplating the 480 because of cost & heat. All of your other points is what I'm thinking as well. I can sell the 280GTX as a greatly discounted rate, and it would still take a nice chunk out of the $400.00 to purchase a 5870. I would say $175.00 for my 280GTX which brings the final upgrade price down to an extremely reasonable amount. Currently the only game that really sees any benefit from physics is the Batman game.

I do have a question. Can you still run CUDA applications (not games) w/ an ATI/AMD card installed? I'm asking this because I also have a 9800GT to do physics w/ games. It would still be nice to have some functionality for some of the video encoding I like to play around w/.

5. Trusteft

Not officially since Nvidia does anything they can with their drivers to block doing that. In other words, I wouldn't bet on it.
    You can sell the 9800GT and get some extra money so that the new card will cost you even less.

6. Necrosis

That would sure be a pisser if so. I can sort of understand in games...sorta but for stand alone apps? If true that alone would put me off Nvidia.

7. Trusteft

Someone with both ATI and Nvidia cards should answer that to be 100% sure. I haven't tried it myself.

8. Necrosis

Well...I will not be running the 9800GT secondary. I purchased two XFX 5770 cards tonight for a decent price $320.25. I know what I said about running dual cards but I oh well I just couldn't resist it for that price for local. Probably will be installing them some time this weekend.

9. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

Well I hope you have a good experience with them and they give you a good increase :) enjoy!

Necrosis likes this.
  10. Trusteft

Have fun and let us know how it went.

Necrosis likes this.
  11. Necrosis

Thanks guys.

Well so far I really enjoy them, and no issues of the kind or anything like that. No stuttering issues like what I seen on my old 9800x2. The only weird thing is my bottom card runs 5-10c warmer then my main card. Which is odd since I would think it would be the other way around. Reason is the top card's fan input is half blocked by my sound card. The bottom is open w/ a fan blowing in from the front my my PSU 6 inches below it sucking air out. Weird I know but they never go over 80c so I guess no worries. The only game I've tried on it thus far is Dirt 2 (Thanks Blue for the sale link).

12. ilordvader

ilordvader New Member

When will we see the 5870 in Laptops :(
    & Usb 3.0 would be nice too

13. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

I can't remember the brand, but there is a laptop with a 5870. I read it recently somewhere on these forums I think...

14. ET3D

ET3D Hopeless Dreamer

Except the laptop 5870 is equivalent to the desktop 5770.