2D to 3D game programming

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by kombario, Feb 9, 2009.

1. kombario

kombario New Member

Hi, I'm currently developing 2D games using ActionsScript, and I have like 4 years of game developing experience in the OOP environment.

What I want to know, is how hard would it be to start developing 3D games and how much actual knowledge you need to have to move from 2D to 3D.
    the more I talk to people the more I understand you don't need a too high (I'm not sure if any) math knowledge since most game developers use ready 3D engines such as openGL.

2. originx

originx New Member

Its sounds that you have enough experience to start making 3d games, but of course you need to be very good with some "quality" programing language like C++, C#, python etc etc... After you have a good grasp of those languages go for it... Buy some books about DirectX (Microsoft) or OpenGL(open source) get used to it, start easy and from beginning, how to display a vertice, then a line, after that go for triangles, give it some textures, colors and animations. Bring your work to life, finaly you are going to find yourself deep in shaders and math behind pc-s and games because that is the essence of game programing but dont worry if you are a programer you will learn whatever comes to you^^ and there is always a way to learn. Good luck with your games hope to play them someday^^