3.6 ghz vs 3ghz = NO difference???

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by Sandok, Sep 4, 2004.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Dont feel embarassed about being a "newb", everyone started somewhere and yes I know when you post on some boards some asshole with a high postcount comes off with some insult to "not waste everyones time" or to do something to your mother, but those people seem to forget at one stage they didnt know their ass from their elbow.

A good first tip would be to go to http://www.memtest.org/ this site and download the file then burn via image in nero. this gives you a bootable image disc to test your memory stability and for any corruption. This is exceptionally important because sometimes with inexperienced overclocking or with an overclock beyond the limits of your memory you will risk hosing your Operating system or paging file meaning in a worst case scenario you will have to reinstall everything. that tool lets you test without going into windows. So in the case of a problem, you hit esc and go back into your bios and lower your settings (or loosen your ram timings).

For CPU testing, get yourself the hold or either prime or a program which will keep your CPU at 100% load for 30 minutes,something along the lines of ImTOO.DVD.Ripper lets you RIP and convert a DVD to a DIVX. If you want to totally test your processor, this is a good real world test as it pushes your CPU to maximum load for a constant extended period of time. Playing games will not always be the perfect way to test as very few games keep your CPU under constant load for long periods.

Now for your CPU, if you want to overclock "safely" then dont touch core volts - you are basically pushing more voltage through the processor meaning it can handle higher clock speeds (again not in every case but most), not touching core voltages is a basic rule of thumb that means although almost every CPU has a certain amount of headroom beyond its rated clock speed you wont be pushing voltages in excess of the manufacturers rated figures. If you run with a stock cooler its advised not to push much higher on core voltages if any, as they are not normally copper and wont be able to handle higher thermal outputs that come with higher voltages.

An example would be, my last northwood processor clocked a 3ghz would hit 3.4ghz on stock voltage, but when raised to 1.7 volts would hit 3.8ghz, so a 400mhz increase at stock volts and with raised volts another 400mhz on top of that. I had a high end thermalright heatsink so it could handle the increased thermal output and kept the temperatures under 50c and it was stable - if I had used a standard heatsink supplied by the CPu manufacturer you can be assured at those higher voltages the temperatures would have been drastically higher and into dangerous levels.

There are many guides tailored to beginner overclocking but if you have any questions just ask on Driverheaven, we have some experienced overclockers who can hopefully explain any questions you might need answered.

Until you get more comfortable with overclocking terminologies and exactly what you are doing just stick with stock voltages and increase in minor increments while testing, even if you run into problems at worst all you will get is an unstable system not cooked hardware.

2. Geminiwave

Geminiwave I Have lovely Breasts

yeah and just to be Zardon's little echo here...

We all started as n00bs once. If anyone here tells you to screw of cause you're a n00b...well this probably isnt the right forum for them. I've quickly become a pro at many things that I was no good at back in july simply because people here would help me out without expecting anything in return other than "IT WORKED! THANKS!".

Oh yeah a great CPU stability test came with an earlier version of omega drivers(I was sad to see this go...) It was with Artifact tester but it was CPU tester. It made your computer crunch fractals and keep making them larger and larger until the CPU couldnt handle the load and then it would start over. I ran it for 24 hours to make sure the CPU was stable. Anyway the nice thing about it is that it will display the fractals while it renders them. GREAT cpu test in my opinion.

Another good one I've heard is Seti@home

3. HardwareHeaven

ill make sure its not the right forum for them :evil:

4. Geminiwave

see?

Right on Zardon. Oh btw zardon, the crucial contest was rigged ;-)

5. HardwareHeaven

Of course, they are all rigged ;) (and yes for those reading this im kidding, long story).

6. Geminiwave

heheheh

yeah guys we're all joking here. Besides even if it WAS rigged, swimtech needed it FAR FAR more than I did. I WANTED it. he REALLY NEEDED it.

anyway back to the topic...get a reading about overclocking. I've never OCed Northwood chips but I've OCed some other P4s. Just read some stuff. ITs actually incredibly easy to do.

7. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

northwood's are the best thign to start learnign to OC on as they are extremely forgiving when compaired to, say a prescott or even a barton. They can usually get mild to moderate OCs on stock voltage and cooling and be quite stable.

as for the echoing of big Z's encouragement....yes...we all started somewhere. In the past 5 years i've gone from not knowing what RAM was(i kid you not) to building a basic system, to building a high end complicated little rig here, and learned a lot on the way. Learnign si what we're all about, and I must say a good 80% of my knowledge came from this forum and reading articles here or on [H]ardOCP.

as for what to try, I would just poke around and read up a lot before i did it...and from experience...always print out the guides, as in the event of a foul up, you won't be able to get back onine to see how to fix it or what you did wrong ;)

8. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

i thoroughly enjoyed overclocking with a Celron.... they are also very good for learning....

9. squall Leonhart

squall Leonhart The Gunblade Master

i was born with al this knowledge of computers and built my first at 12,

lol,

nah,i did build my first at 12, but i had a shop bought one to mess around with before that

10. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

i first started OC on my old xp1900. Palominos are just hard to get anything out of them. Good boards to do some serious OCing on are ASUS, ABIT, and Epox are just a few i can think of off the top of my head right now. MSI boards aren't good OCing boards. They're good for reliablilty, but they just suck at OCing. That's just my personal opinion from my experiences w/MSI boards.

Older AMD chips are the better ones to do some overclocking because they have unlocked multipliers. a combination of a multiplier and FSB is what gives you your overclock. Like my old xp2400 (15x133stock, 2Ghz)i was able to do 13x166 and it came out to be an xp2700 (2.157Ghz). My other favorite setting on my old xp2400 was 12x200 which came out to be 2.4Ghz. In the past couple of years though, AMD has been locking the multipliers on their processors so all you can do now is just mess around w/the FSB.

A favorite of today is the Barton 2500. that comes w/a mult. of 11 and a FSB of 166. Having a low multiplier, people just increase the FSB to 200 or 400 (depending on what your BIOS says, usually 200 though) and they get an xp3200. if you have say DDR433 you can take that same barton 2500 upto like 2.4Ghz simply because you have better memory.

So when you overclock, having higher speed memory helps out alot. Right now, my DDR400 is what's holding me back from getting better OCing. I've hit 4Ghz already, but it was unstable, and my memory timings were really loose. As far as intel OCing goes, i'm still learning myself. I recently got myself a prescott, and still don't know too much about it because everybody i know has a northwood p4. Prescotts and northwoods both OC differntly especially since their voltages are different.

and most importantly of all, is COOLING!!!! When you're going to be doing some OCing, you want to invest some money into cooling. Big Z mentioned this briefly, but cooling is VERY important. You want to spend about $30-$50 on cooling. I recomend going w/thermalright products; mainly the sp-94 for p4 chips, and the sp-97 for athlon XPs. http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/scan/se=CPU%20Cooling/se=Thermalright/mp=menu_search.html. Check that out from frozencpu.com. They have good stuff there.

11. No_Style

No_Style Styleless Wonder

Reading helps. If you don't want to read, then you shouldn't be OCing. You'll be amazed at what you can learn and find by typing something like "northwood 2.4C overclock" in the search function of a forum or Google. :)

12. Geminiwave

yeah. btw pacman and nostyle know their shit. They are both pretty freaking good at this stuff. pr0digal jenius is also a great resource and, as he said, he didnt know what RAM was not too long ago(for shame prod...for shame. I knew what that was since I was 2)

Read up. Ask LOTS of questions(in this case the question unasked really IS the only dumb question when you wind up with a smoked CPU. when in doubt ask questions and NEVER assume anything)

My best advice through my limited experience:
    Always know where the CMOS CLEAR jumper is on the mobo. It will save your life and sanity.

13. WisMerHill

WisMerHill New Member

One of the best advises concerning overclocking ever :)

Overclocking is easy but requires a lot of knowledge beforehand, overclocking starts when you start to select your new pc. Also, sometimes it almost looks if overclocking is actually a talent, some people have a feeling for it while others don't, for instance i ussually know prior to buying what my 3dmark scores will be, it's a bit like you personnally know your hardware... difficult to explain but i always let my feelings steer my overclocking and so far it has been spot on.
    My oveclocking experiences ranges back to my Pentium 200Mhz which i could overclock to a 233Mhz, man that was a difference, it felt like a totaly new pc back then :)
    From that on i overclocked every pc i owned, and so far (knocks on wood) i haven't been able to wreck anything. cpu's i o'clocked: P1 200, P2 300,Celeron 300, P3 500, Athlon 700, Athlon 1600, Athlon 1800, P4 2.4, Athlon 2400, Athlon 2500 and now my AMD64 3500. quite a list actually when i look back at it, guess i spend too much on pc's :) and these are only my own systems, not counting friends yet.
    Over the years i became apparent that component selection is probably the most important, after that comes finding the time to read up on other people experiences and just basic trial and error.

14. squall Leonhart

squall Leonhart The Gunblade Master

i taught myself to o/c

lol

i can't really get far anyway

unless you count from a 2000+ rating to 2600+

15. Geminiwave

yeah I love it that my 2800+ goes to 2.5ghz without really any lip.

except for yesterday...I bluescreen my computer. It was the weirdest thing...I was testing out some HD divx video and it was REALLY lagging...it was shocking me because I've never seen the CPU load go to 100% before, so I OCed some and then raised the quality back to maximum...it was GREAT! the CPU load was down to 60% and I was only at 2.35ghz. Then I turned Post Processing back on with the graphics card and BOOM, the second i checked that box it bluescreened. The graphics drivers crashed. Well I figured out that I was REALLY STUPID and forgot to lock the AGP bus. I feel like such an idiot! AHAHAHAAHAH

yeah I just hope I didnt damage anything ^^

oh yeah my biggest scare was making it so my comp didnt post anymore. I finally waited 2 days and turned it on and all I got was a bios bootscreen for the graphics card! it was WEEEIIIIRRRD! thats how I discovered CMOS clear. It fixed everything :-D

sufficed to say, I learned. So as long as you dont BREAK anything, mistakes can be extremely educational.

16. Sandok

Sandok New Member

Thx all! Right now I'm stuffed out with tests and all at school but the moment I got some time, I'll jump straight onto what Zardon said!!! And well, for nostyle I searched onto the net but most of em didn't really correspond to what I wanted..

I know I might annoy some people and I apologise! :oops:
    Anyways, thx for the help and support!

17. Geminiwave

I felt no annoyance. Did anyone else?

I think you will find it a bit more difficult to annoy people with OCing questions than anywhere else. People here LOVE to share their knowledge about OCing with the world.

18. No_Style

What did you look for? Cuz searching "2.4C northwood overclocking" came with some very interesting results from ExtremeTech and X-Bit labs.

The articles dont' necessarily have to apply to your particular processor. I learned to overclock by reading old articles of overclocking P4 1.6As and applied the knowledge and fundamentals there to my processors. No, you're not going to find an article on just about every processor out there which will guide you by the hand and take you through the process, but you will learn concepts and tips. Usually, if you take a certain class of processors (ie: Northwood C), the information written about it can be applied to the processors of higher clockspeeds (keeping in mind that you may not obtain the same overclocking ability as the lower clocked chips)

Be sure to read your motherboard manual as well. Especially the Advanced Settings section, since that's where you'll be tinkering with if you're going to overclock.

As for annoyance, I only get annoyed with people who ask "is my score too low?" and they haven't showed benchmarks for any other game or utility. :D

19. Sandok

Sandok New Member

Ahhhh I didn't really think that it would work from old processors to the new ones (and yes I also got a northwood)! Anyways, thx for clearing that up and as I said, as soon as I've finished my horrible german test, I'll start some testing!!! :D

20. No_Style

No problem. :) I'm here to help the people.