3.6 ghz vs 3ghz = NO difference???

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by Sandok, Sep 4, 2004.

1. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

:) :D

I know i wasn't. I enjoy talking about OCing.

BTW....does anybody know about voltages on preshotts (prescotts)? lol...... all i know is that the "threshold" voltage is 1.55v thanx to one of No_Style's threads (thx No_Style). I've been messing around w/my voltages a bit, but i still don't know what clock speed to set what voltage at. Zardon said earlier in this thread that he could do 3.4Ghz on his 3.0C (northwood) on stock voltages. Does anybody know anything about the 3.2E's (prescott) voltages?

2. Geminiwave

Geminiwave I Have lovely Breasts

from what I've seen you can get about 3.4 out of that one too..its basically the same chip OCed a bit. Actually now that I think about it, my friends get 3.5ghz on theirs alright. Using that huge thermalright heatsink(god i love those).

just try it out. Nobody can tell you how far your chip'll go other than you.

3. No_Style

No_Style Styleless Wonder

Well the max is 1.55 V, so if you feel confident in your cooling, set the voltage to about 1.525 V and start Overclocking and stressing the CPU with PCMark04 or Prime95.

It's true that limits are unknown on a chip to chip basis, but if you can find out the stepping and go poking around on the net, you can probably find information about your particular chip and its expectations. Some people even go as far as finding out what location and whichi week's batch of processors to get to ensure high overclocking. But, the best way to find out the limit is to do what I said of setting the voltage your comfort level and just adjust the clockspeed from there.

4. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

I overclocked a prescott from 2.8ghz to 3.6 at 1.55volts. I tried higher voltages but even on water the CPU was over 60c. I dont like prescotts. they are far too hot. IMO they are a very bad processor from Intel, certainly not "better" than a northwood. They would have been better slapping on another 512k cache on a NW.

Hopefully in time this will change as they can hit higher clocks than NWs due to deeper pipes. Once they hit 5ghz they will be a great CPU, although I hope you dont need a heatsink the size of your house on it.

For me its - Gallatin - Northwood - Prescott. (and im absolutely loving the mobile Dothan chip, what a wonderful processor!)

5. No_Style

Dothan greatness. It certainly is a great processor and its development certainly holds the key to dual core greatness. :D Have you played with a Gallatin? I had to look it up since I wasn't familliar with it.. and it's a Xeon MP chip. How is on the clock/performance scale?

6. HardwareHeaven

Ah but its not just a MP chip .......Extreme Edition is also a gallatin core no-style.

Which is why so many business users who spent $3000 on a Gallatin based Xeon for a server got really annoyed when intel released the EEs for a fraction of the price (costly to gamers and home market but REALLY cheap to business market). they had to compete with AMD 64 somehow. EEs cant work in a multiprocessor environment though, thats how intel have (sort of) gotten around it to appease the business end.

7. HardwareHeaven

There a picture of my extreme edition (engineering sample) in CPUz on PCIe

[​IMG]

8. tastyweat

tastyweat Lurking

I just want AN EE - lol - I like the idea of the 1066 fsb gallatin based chip coming out in oct/nov - but don't know if i can wait that long!

9. No_Style

Ahh yes. I keep thinking EEs are Northwoods with more cache. :lol: Silly me~ Are the new EEs with 1066 FSB going to be Gallatin based?

10. tastyweat

tastyweat Lurking

the 1066fsb chips will be Socket 775 based,

the 3.46GHz EE will be Gallatin based

the 3.74GHz EE will be Prescott based (in other words - barbeque time + some!!!)

11. Geminiwave

I would love to see a place like THG fry an egg on a prescott. That would be so fskin' awesome

12. No_Style

Yeah.. I figured they'd be using Prescott for the deeper pipes :)

13. CDsDontBurn

the 2.8 prescotts aren't that great of a processor when it comes to OCing IMO. You're running at 800Mhz FSB @ 2.8Ghz while w/a 3.0E or 3.2E you've got the same 800Mhz FSB, but more head room to OC. you've probably seen this before, but to save you the trouble of looking for it....here's a pic of my best overclock on my 3.2E.

[​IMG]

w00t w00t! :D

Wanna use my prescott?

14. Geminiwave

LMAO sure I'll just "borrow" it for awhile. And then uh...take a trip to canada or something...yeah that works. heh heh heh.

15. No_Style

Zardon did 2.8 -> 3.6 = ~800 MHz Overclock
    You did 3.2 -> 4.0 = ~800 MHz Overclock

My 2.4B -> 3.2 = ~800 MHz Overclock

I doubt there's more head room, but rather a processor limit due to the fact that we want to stay within the safety range of voltages. I recall that a 3.06 GHz couldn't go very far due to the max of the Northwood Bs and that a 2.4B could easily out overclock it :)

16. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

3.06 is 533 MHz ;) that has lots to do with it

17. CDsDontBurn

Didn't somebody already do this w/an Athlon XP chip a while back?

lol.....i didn't think of it like that :p. I'm a dufus sometimes...lol.

18. No_Style

3.06 was also a Northwood B and they couldn't get very far anyways. I think Northwood B's capped around 3.2-3.4(If you're very lucky). My bro's 2.53 GHz is near it's max around the same clockspeed as mine.