3-D effect for headphones

Discussion in 'Effects and the DSP' started by Eugene Gavrilov, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

The routing (currently) is supposed to be as follows:
    FxBus 0/1: Stereo L/R
    Fxbus 2/3: Front L/R
    FxBus 4/5: Rear L/R
    FxBus 6/7: Center/LFE
    FxBus 8/9: Side L/R (with 8 PS enabled)

There is an issue with the routing of stereo only audio in Vista/7 which results in the audio no longer getting routed to FxBus 0/1 and instead gets routed to FxBus 2/3 or 4/5 or 6/7 (people seem to get different results and I do not know if the results are consistent). Some people set AC3/SPDIF as the default device as a workaround, but I do not know if doing so effects any other channels, nor if there are any other issues that might result from doing this (I use WinXP, which does not have this issue).

Due to the above, there is no way to differentiate between audio that is supposed to be stereo only, and audio that is supposed to be directional audio (for whichever channel/bus that stereo audio ends up getting routed to for you (i.e. in your case, stereo vs front)). This means that you would need to use separate configs (one for stereo only audio, and another for multichannel audio).

As for your side channels, I am not sure why it is being routed to FxBus 2/3... Maybe try enabling kX's 8 point surround manually:
    Also, there may be additional issues related to x64 versions of kX that have not been reported as of yet (or I am just not aware of), etc.

2. Temragon

Temragon Member

That routing makes a lot more sense. Additionally, I do remember now why I've been using 2/3 for everything.

Additionally, I left out:

0/1 (AC3/SPDIF), like you say. I've been using that for voice chat, ironically enough.

But, even moving (in this case, Foobar upmixing to 6.0) multichannel sound to that only yields output on 0/1, unless I'm missing something.

Well. Mayaswell get this bug ironed out. I know my way around the DSP well enough now, but a lot of it is still beyond me. If you'd be willing, we could try to narrow it down a little bit for E, give him something to release a new driver to fix, since it's not a uncommon problem.

Attached Files:

3. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Yeah, I kind of thought that would be the case....

E. is aware of the issue: http://www.hardwareheaven.com/bug-reports/156779-no-sound-coming-out-fxbus-0-1-a.html#post1136779

There really is no DSP config that you can use that will automatically work for you since we have no way of knowing (in the DSP) if the audio is supposed to be stereo only or not (e.g. Multichannel/directional audio does not necessarily use all the speakers all the time. At any time, audio might only be playing in the rear (or wherever) and thus appears to be stereo only, but it is still directional audio intended to be heard in the rear speakers, etc... so there really is no detection mechanism that you can use). The only workaround is to use separate DSP configs depending on what type of audio you are listening to.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  4. Temragon

Temragon Member

I know it's been reported, but I meant narrow down the circumstances and or cause. I don't really know how, which I why I asked; But if it's better to just leave it to E. to get to on his own, well that's fine too, this setup works.

Yeah, I wasn't really interested in another workaround method. Mine works for now, like I said above, I was just hoping to improve the drivers/help get it actually fixed.

Thanks for the help, though.

Edit: After reading your link again, he seems pretty aware of what the problem is. Perhaps he'll decide to release a 7x64 version separately, since it is a predictable issue.

Ah well. Thanks again.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010