3539 released

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Eugene Gavrilov, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Wolfy1969

Wolfy1969 New Member

Russ,
    Thanks for the quick reply. That fixed most of the issue - and selecting 'master mixer' in Windows turns the speaker icon to 'muted' which I found rather humourus.....however, one issue that remains is the subwoofer fader on the kX mixer doesn't do anything. I HAVE subwoofer, but moving that fader all the way up or all the way down or even muting it has no effect on it. Sub seems to be grouped in with the front speakers. Front, Rear and Center faders all affect their respective speakers, but sub does nothing. Tried different surrounder settings but never got the fader to control the sub. Have 'use subwoofer output' checked, tried messing with bass redirection settings to no avail. Any ideas?
    Also, what is the proper way to use the bass redirection settings? When should you have it enabled and when not and how do you determine where to set the frequency? I've noticed the only time it sounds good is to move it all the way to the left (down) to give all the bass. Any move towards the right removes more and more bass from the whole system. I guess I'd always thought it was intended to remove the bass from the smaller satellite speakers and send it to the sub - is this correct? If so, it's not doing it correctly for me. Maybe the two issues are related - once I get the sub actually working on its own fader, the bass redirection would work as it's supposed to as well.

Thanks for your help so far,

Mike

2. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Hmm, I am not sure about the slider (it is hard to say without being able to test it myself), it sounds as though it may be mislabeled (i.e. wrong slider (maybe controlling analog LFE instead of digital, but that seems unlikely if the slider for the Center channel works correctly, but then again, I cannot think of any other reason as to why the slider would not work)). If any of the other sliders are active, see if they effect the LFE channel.

As for the Bass Redirection, I do not have a discreet sub myself, so I have never really used any of that stuff.

That sounds right to me, but again I have never used it myself so I cannot say for sure. From reading this forum, most people seem to recommend a setting of somewhere between 80 Hz and 120 Hz (if I recall correctly). I guess the optimal setting would depend on the capabilities of the satellite speakers.

As for when to use it, that would seem to depend on a couple of factors:

1) Does the source audio have an LFE channel? If not, then nothing will be sent to the sub without using some redirection. i.e. With Bass Redirection disabled: LFE Out = LFE In.
    2) The capabilities of the satellite speakers.

Again, I am not expert on it, and have not used it myself... The above just seems logical to me, but...

BTW: If the speaker system has it's own built in crossover, it could effect the above as well (i.e. if it is redirecting bass to the sub on its own, then kX will not be able to control that volume, nor the frequency). Also, if the speaker system has different modes, make sure that it is in the correct mode for discreet 5.1 input, etc.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2007
  3. The_neo

The_neo New Member

Thanx Max:).........got it.

4. Wolfy1969

Wolfy1969 New Member

Yes, the front, rear and center channels are all active and effect the volume of those speakers. The sub seems to be paired with the front speaker fader. If I move it up and down, the sub goes up and down with the front speakers - it's right next to my feet, so I can feel it as well as hear it. Hovering over the sub fader brings up a pop up of 'digital subwoofer'.

5. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Did you see my edit (above)... The BTW part?

It really sounds as though there may be a crossover in the speaker system itself that is affecting this.

Try the following:
    Disconnect everything coming out of the Surrounder plugin, with the exception of the LFE channel.

Set the Bass Redirection fairly high.

Play a Wave/MP3 file, and then try adjusting the digital sub volume again and see if it effects it.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2007
  6. mrvomit

mrvomit Active Member

It happen THE SAME Stuff to me in Sonar 3538 sometime.
    Audio driver disappears,sometime i have to restart PC,
    sometime closing/reopening application is enough.
    what ALWAYS HAPPEN (since i had installed 3538 from "k to n") is that:

When i open an asio Application or Daw (it could be Sonar ,or Guitar Rig standalone ,or whatever)
    THE ASIO PANEL is selectable only WiTHIN the application itself ,not Through Kx_tray.
    :::::::::::
    My little thought:
    I have suspicion maybe is related to the AMD Dual core Processor /Winxp.

There is an utility /driver For A64 dual cores (only Winxp SP2 compliant) that Cakewlak sonar advice to install.I can't INSTALL as my system WOnt Update to sp2 (i have tried 3 times ,a pain in the ass as i will have to install Winxp from scratch First or late).

BUt YOU Thomas could try and see if that solve some problems, if You did'nt try already!!(and report here or to me in PM if You mind)

-------------------------------
    As a side note..AT that moment i have other serious problems of "audio stops" in Sonar,
    And I have to figure out what i could do ..
    From Your posts it seems that upgrading to 3539 wont solve that particular issue .

7. thomasabarnes

thomasabarnes Long Time ***** Friend

mrvomit:

Sorry, but I bought a M-Audio 1010LT in September, so no more kX joy for me.

I can't even remember if I ever solved that problem, but I'm using my M-Audio card, Pro Tools M Powered, and SONAR 7, now. I use the Creative drivers with my Audigy 2 ZS Plainum Pro for gaming, and I've been using the Creative drivers even before I got the M-Audio soundcard.

Sorry I can't help you with the problem you're experiencing, but good luck with finding a solution.

8. thomasabarnes

thomasabarnes Long Time ***** Friend

mrvomit:

It looks like you might as well get with the program (if you can afford it) as others of us did, and get yourself a professional or semi profesiional soundcard for your music production. You will more likely see a nice imrovement in sound quality and stable low latency driver performance. I'm glad I finally said "screw it" and got myself a better soundcard.

9. silvertones

silvertones New Member

Any word yet on 3539 compatibility with Win 2K?

10. mrvomit

mrvomit Active Member

I have a Famous "creamware pulsar" ,I pain in the a** as usability ,Great sound (conversors) but is a "picky card" which like a CLEAN system to be installed- i planned to install in a second pc when i will get one,

really Kx is SO easy to use ,that's the reason (plus native sf2 and so on) ,and is not "picky"as my pulsar.
    Maybe m-audio are better in that sense,but i would have to compare.

11. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

That seems to be normal behavior with recent versions of kX (although I do not remember this behavior in some older versions of kX). In any case, since the application would need to restart it's audio engine after any changes are made in the ASIO CP, I guess it makes sense that it would only be accessible from within the audio application that is using it.

12. hari-bhari

hari-bhari New Member

i am not able to get the windows mixer to show up. i went into sound devices and set the playback to '0/1', but i have no option to enable the windows mixer. i know this used to work in 3538, what setting can i enable to get the windows mixer back for control of master and wave volumes?

13. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

I assume that you are taking about the icon in the systay... You cannot do it, you will have to run sndvol32.exe to bring up the Windows Mixer (or click on the Volume button on the audio tab). Is there some reason why you need to do it in WIndows Mixer instead of kxmixer?

14. hari-bhari

hari-bhari New Member

well im using this in the car with a piece of software called road runner which controls volume via the mappings of the windows mixer. with the 3539 drivers, since there is no windows mixer, i have no wave volume control, but it does seem as though i have master volume control. i have to revert back to 3538m for the time being.

basically, i dont think windows is recognizing the card as a device for which it can control volume, because everything on the main page in sound and device properties is grayed out. running sndvol32 brings me controls for master and wave, but in the application i am using, only master works. with 3538m, both worked.

15. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

This is a known issue with 3539.

16. Chester01

Chester01 New Member

17. Chester01

Chester01 New Member

Another update as far as the Audigy 2 ZS Notebook is concerned, I have found thus far that Kernel Steraming also does not cause any errors when changing songs :) if we could couple the KX drivers with a sort of 'kernelstreaming4all' program (like asio4all) that would accept any programs output and then 'convert' to Kernel Streaming, that would definately be a workaround for those with ZS NB's that arent working :D

EDIT: there is a slight 'pop' sometimes on a song change, as with ASIO.

Second Edit: Just to explain, I have been using ASIO for quite a while with no trouble however you can only run one ASIO program at once, KS is a good workaround for that :)

EDIT (IMPORTANT)*: yea, so this is getting rediculous with the edits, I just treid changing movies while playing a song through another KS channel, that did cause the voices to 'crash' and cause a loud whining noise whenever playing something until using the "rv" command within kxctrl and then quickly switching through songs till things played correctly. so you cannot use 2 KS streams reliably (atleast i cant). I will test KS in conjunction with ASIO in a while.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2007
  18. hari-bhari

hari-bhari New Member

is there any way to get winamp to use asio for music? i am using winamp integrated into a touchscreen friendly software for my car, and if there is any way to use it without this bug, that would be great.

edit: can anyone also quickly explain asio and how its different than what is normally used for output?

19. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

i think there is a plugin available for winamp for that, but i don't know which one

Audio Stream Input/Output - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

20. Chester01

Chester01 New Member

WINAMP5用 ASIO出力プラグイン (dll version) - ãŠãŸã¡ã‚ƒã‚“ã®MIDI/Audioソフト <- this was sort of explained in my first post (a couple of posts ago) this plugin works for winamp to give asio output. ASIO is basically a more direct means of getting audio to the card rather than processing through windows first (short answer).
    as i understand, when the audio stream errors out (on my computer, after changing songs a seemingly random amount of times, something with the hardware 'voices' (see the lowest icon in the kx mixer) errors out causing a continual whining noise. using asio does not use these voices therefore there is no chance for the stream to error out.