3541 bug reports

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Eugene Gavrilov, Apr 5, 2008.

1. imperia

imperia Active Member

I tested also with:
    "ASIO test signal generator"
    "ASIO latency test utility"

With the last one i select 48 Khz 1024 sample 21.33ms. The program first reported that my latency is around 60ms. Now when I rerun it to check the exact value it failed with "Cannot measure the latency. Please check your connections and verify if input/output levels match". Can you test with that freeware too? If it run first then restart it and try again. Maybe I should try 48khz in Traktor with some very high latency like >50ms. Or maybe I should alter the buffers in settings menu? I have succefully ran Traktor thru Ableton Live (ASIO multihost) with older versions when traktor worked before, with latencies like 10ms maximum.

I decided that the problem is in KX because I updated the driver not Traktor when it stopped working. I am not using other ASIO applications.

As for traktor demo. Does it crash at start? Does it let you try the DirectSound as output or you can't even reach that menu?

PS: I played a bit with the ASIO latency settings. With 128ms buffer i am able to play sound in Traktor. There are visual shuttering and UI lag, but the sound is perfect. That is at 48khz [2+2]. If I increase the buffer setting at 44khz to more than 128ms i got the same Visual shuttering and UI lag. At 44khz I can work at 10ms and even lower with any lag. I cannot try higher latencies at [8+8] or [16+16] because of "Error creating input buffer".

It has to be a problem with KX. and that's only at 48khz. And maybe only with Live cards. Or nobody else is using Traktor because nobody complains. And the problem appeared after 3538 L or M version(cant recall exactly).

PS2: Where can I read about the driver buffer settings? Are they related to ASIO buffers? Should I change them?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2008
  2. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

The tool seems to work fine for me (Live! 5.1 with WinXP) for anything up to 21.33 ms (48 kHz [16+16]). Measured (round trip) latency is approx. double of the kX setting (which is expected).

i.e.
    2.00 ms = 3.98 ms round trip
    4.00 ms = 8.04 ms round trip
    21.33 ms = 42.65 ms round trip

Anything above 21.33 ms (when set to [16+16]) results in an error ("error creating input buffer"), otherwise (settings other than [16+16]) results are similar (i.e. double the kX setting). BTW: I could only test up to 170.67 ms (256.00 ms gives error, even at [2+2]).

If you are unable to get a measurement, try a lower input sensitivity setting. If you have a Live! 5.1, make sure that you account for the ASIO Mapping issue.

As for Traktor, it seems my CPU doesn't meet it's requirements... It would have been nice if the software detected that (or even better the installer) and gave notice instead of just crashing, but... whatever, I should have noticed that the requirements changed since the last time I tried.

As for the buffer settings, I have no idea, I have never needed to change anything there (other than Tank Memory size, which sets how much xTram is available for DSP). IIRC, these buffers are in the OS kernel, so if you mess with the settings too much, your system may become unstable (i.e. BSOD).

Last edited: Apr 19, 2008
  3. PrEzEs

PrEzEs DriverHeaven User

There seems to be something wrong with the routing on the new drivers.
    On 3539 everything seemed to work fine on my SB0400 (I mean 5.1 sound) but after uninstalling and upgrading to 3541 I only get 2.0 sound (the settings in the surrounder seemed to be ignored completely, only the 'mute' button worked in there).
    I tryed the updated kx.sys driver version 3541b but this hasn't changed anything.
    Only workaround that seemed to help it to mess up the routing to the xrouter :
    "FxBus 4/5 to the top 2 pins of xrouting (instead of where it is currently connected)" that did the trick, but I think it's still a bug that needs correction.

4. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

5. imperia

imperia Active Member

What's the ASIO Mapping issue?
    Live 5.1 isn't CT4830, right?... I've got 4830, what's yours? I've also got 4620 but haven't tested it yet.
    I've got a friend who runs Traktor succesfully on Pentium 3 733mhz. I guess your is not lower, so its something else.

the tool reported kinda high results:

for 8ms = 24ms
    for 10ms = sometimes around 10ms. and 32ms

6. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

There is an issue with the center channel on Live! 5.1 models that effects ASIO channel numbering, etc.

Neither of those are 5.1 models (mine is SB0228), so the mapping issue shouldn't effect you.

My CPU is an Athlon Thunderbird 1300 MHz.

Are you connecting FxBus directly to ASIO on epilog?
    Have you tried different sync methods in the ASIO Control Panel?

7. imperia

imperia Active Member

should be ok. but maybe it lacks SSE and stuff.

http://imperia.kicks-ass.net/KX/dsp_3541.jpg
    that's my dsp. is it ok?

yes. except 10k2. but default should be ok anyway because at 44khz its working with most methods.

PS: same issue as joat's post here:
    http://www.driverheaven.net/bug-reports/128187-3538m-bug-reports.html#post1016170
    at least i am not alone.

PS2: one more related thread:
    http://www.driverheaven.net/general-discussion/119846-traktor-3-external-mixer.html

Last edited: Apr 20, 2008
  8. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

OK for what? Different configs are used for different purposes, so it depends on what you are using it for.

i.e. You cannot use that config for ASIO recording (or testing with the ASIO Latency Test Utility program), as you have no ASIO output from the DSP.

BTW: I tried the Traktor DJ Studio 2 Demo (v2.0.2 and v2.6.2.117) and it did work for me (ASIO at 44100 and 48000 with kX 3541).

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  9. imperia

imperia Active Member

I understand you now. Now when I connected all outs to ASIO in dsp it gives only stable results: like for 21.33ms = 42.63ms.

I am gonna download it now and check if it works for me.

10. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

3541 un-install not clean

It is a bug, yet not because the idea is to use the new version and keep it there, All your work is greatly appretiated Eugene, but having switched some cards around between machines lately I've done several uninstalls of the whole 3541 package.

Two different P4 machines running windows XP (one home and one Pro, both SP2) both have had 3541 un-installed twice using the KX package un-installer and the start menus still reference the complete program and the drivers seem to still be there also, or so windows thinks, every time.

Other than the drivers, the software seems to be gone, but the start menus show like it's still there..... I've switched back to 3539 and unless I clean it up manually it looks like I have both packages installed at the same time. Of course Windows can't find 3541 but looks for quite some time... (stupid flashlight thingy :rolleyes: )

To switch back to 3539 I have to go to control panel and uninstall the 3541 driver, (which has the Yellow "bang" next to it even tho' there's no "found new hardware" deal on reboot), before running the 3539 install to get it to take. My registry cleaner finds a bunch of stuff left behind too, all referenced to the KX project.

If it were just one machine I'd figure it was something else, but 2 machines and 4 un-installs..... it's got to be the 3541 package, 3539 never did this and 3537 was a clean un-install as well, so it's new.

As I said, it's no biggie, if you aren't going to remove it.

Joystick driver "bug" has already been mentioned, I get that also, so for now I'm good at 3539......
    That's going to keep me busy enough and is rock solid :cool:

11. bingmickey

bingmickey New Member

Hi
    I use windows xp sp2, audigy2 zs platinum pro and kx 3538. When I try to install 3541, the program can not recongnize my soundcard correctly, the program thinks its a another card, maybe a notebook soundcard, so I can not continue.
    My pc is dell xps 700.

12. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

@bingmickey
    What is the specific error message that you get when trying to install?
    Did you fully remove 3538 before installing 3541?

13. SPYRO

SPYRO New Member

ASIO is still giving problems here.

Now it works, but emits a nasty sound from ASIO outs 0 and 1, I can test this by going to the ASIO routing and lowering the 0 and 1 sliders. Directsound still plays, so I'm not talking about that overall nasty sound I got in the past. This is only related to ASIO.

I'm on a CrossHair Mobo (nforce 590 Sli)- 4GB RAM - AMD64x2 6000+ - Audigy plat Ex

14. zaboomafoo

zaboomafoo New Member

When I try to install 3541 on w2k I get "cannot run kxsetup" error form the installer. When I try to run kxsetup from the windows explorer I get "invalid windows file" error. I downloaded 3541 from the kx site, am I missing something? is this version compatible with w2k? 3538m installed fine on this computer.

Regards,
    Frank

15. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Eugene spoke about this in the 3540 Released thread:

16. zaboomafoo

zaboomafoo New Member

:confused::(:confused::( Too bad ... I guess I will be stuck with 3538m version since I don't have XP ... Just started building a dedicated computer which will be used for recording and KX is a big part of it. :(:(:(:(

Frank

17. fn123

fn123 New Member

my computer use audigy 2zs notebook and kx3541 in vista,it usually comes no sound suddenly,and it will come allright after reboot the computer. Could you help me please? I really love this sound from KX.

18. fn123

fn123 New Member

after that I find a new problem.the soundcard will stop making sound when finished foobar's playlist,and all program can't make sound.reboot the computer it can make sound again.could i restart the windows service to resovle the problem?Which service should be restart when it can't make sound. thamk you .

19. TravelRec.

TravelRec. Alternative Audioproductions

The same problem I have somtimes with WinAmp - sound is stopping at all or beeps appear instead of sound.

As a workaround you can close kX-Mixer, then remove the soundcard safely, replug it and after complete re-integration in windows launch kX-Mixer. So you donĀ“t have to reboot the computer.

20. Vadim_K

Vadim_K New Member

KX 3541 doesn't work on Vista when more than 2GB RAM is installed. Doesn't work until removing the RAM modules till 2GB summary. Tested on two different motherboards with SBLive.

Last edited: May 14, 2008