3550 released - x86 and x64

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Eugene Gavrilov, Sep 18, 2009.

1. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

What great news! I've been running my Audigy2ZS happily on modified Creative drivers but could not resist giving this a try because of the Windows 7 x64 support.

The sound quality is excellent and I have 8GB RAM on this system. No need to raise sound buffers yet with basic applications and stereo output but I'm keeping an eye on it. I changed the default sound output in Windows to Master Mixer and put the front/back swap back to standard as this card doesn't need it. I'm especially enjoying the 10 Band EQ again and next up is customising the DSP routing a little, only because it's possible. ;)

And the driver installation was so smooth. Nothing like the long Creative installations.

2. cbreaker

cbreaker New Member

Yay! I installed 3550 and put the other 2GB back in and I have full sound once again.

CT4832, 4GB RAM, Windows 7 x64, AMD Opteron 165, buffers set to 256KB/2.12ms/16384/4 buffers/256 Samples with no clicks. I use a LiveDrive with SPDIF Coax out to a TASCAM Mixer.

Thank you very much. I was just about to toss the SB Live card in favor of 4GB RAM because Windows 7 x64 really dogs on this machine with only 2GB!

3. Chester01

Chester01 New Member

hah i should invest in 'ram futures' now that this came out people are gonna be gettin more :D

4. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Is it only x64 users (or only Windows 7 x64? or ... ?) that are having problems with ASIO?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  5. krylko

krylko New Member

I also had no clicks in the beginning but they start after few minutes. I tried various buffer settings to no avail. I also tried using ProFX plugins instead, but couldn't get any sound. Do you still have no clicks at all? If so, would you mind sharing your DSP settings preset? Thanks!

My config: SB0243, 4GB RAM, Windows 7 x64 RC1, AMD Phenom II X2 550 (B50 actually, I have unlocked all four cores, idk if that has anything to do with kX)

6. curro1b

curro1b New Member

Tested with SB0060 (Sound Blaster Live 5.1), under Vista x64 SP2, with 3Gb Ram: wave sounds OK, perfect.

Selected "Wave Out 4/5" as a playback device (sounds better than 5/6).

That's what I have done to activate the microphone recording
    - Run KxMixer
    - At the left icon "AC97", select "Mic" in AC97 device
    - At the left icon "Recording", unmute AC97, set volume to "0" in AC97.
    - At the left icon "AC97", activate Mic, activate Mic-boost, and set Mic value to 20.
    I don't know why I have to do all this things, but it works now.. xDD.
    EDIT: I have a problem with this: the microphone/AC97 can't be muted on front speakers (I can mute it only at rear speakers).
    EDIT2: Solved: In kxmixer, at "AC97", mute Microphone.

How to enable the Timbre (Bass/Treble) control:
    In KxDSP:
    - From «Timbre [7]»: "[8000] outl" TO «epilog [8]»: "Analog rear left [swapped] 4008 out8" (analog rear left)
    - From «Surrounder+ [8]»: "[8002] sL" TO «Timbre [7]»: "[4000] intl"

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  7. cbreaker

cbreaker New Member

I dunno, it still seems okay after playing music for a few hours. I've been using the computer quite heavily during this time, and no problems. However, I haven't tried anything like games.

I did notice that FL Studio seems to skip a lot, much more than it did in Vista x86. This could be due to Asio4All since setting the buffers in KX doesn't seem to affect it at all. I set the buffer to max in Asio4All and it helps a lot.

My DSP Settings are almost default; since I have an older card I can't actually do too much with it - but I remove the Chorus plugin and replace the Timbre plugin with a 10-band EQ. That's all right now and it's working okay.

Mind you, this is an older machine. It's an AMD Socket 939 based machine with an nForce 3. I originally had an Athlon64 3200+ in it and I replaced that with an Opteron 165 some time ago. (I increased the RAM to 4GB earlier this year.) I mean, the original Operating System I had installed was Windows XP, because Vista hadn't been released. I have an AGP GeForce 6800GT in here, too. So, any number of these factors (considerably different hardware) could be the reason it's working a little better for me.

Now that I'm FINALLY working again, I'm going to build a new Phenom machine this winter and once again be up to date, but I've got to tell you, this machine has held up wonderfully. It won't play the latest games on full detail but I don't play too many games. I always recommend to people that they spend the money and get really new (well, maybe not $1,000 CPU new) hardware. It will last you an extra couple years.

You can actually unlock two cores on the 550? That's wild, good job on that.

8. krylko

krylko New Member

Yeah, you just need a mobo with ACC such as Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P with F5 BIOS or later.

Thanks for your answer. Mine is still clicking like crazy. You're not using ProFX src and k2lt instead of FXBus and epilog, aren't you?

9. cbreaker

cbreaker New Member

Nope, it's FXBus and epilog. I've only made the aforementioned changes. I wish I could help you more.

10. krylko

krylko New Member

I managed to fix it like I described here. In a nutshell, I switched from Master Mixer to 2/3 and that seems to do the trick. Perhaps Master mixer is still buggy. It might not be due to FXBus and epilog, but I switched to ProFX anyway.

Thanks for your input though!

11. mistan

mistan New Member

Well I have Windows 7 64 bit and I'm trying to use ASIO in FLStudio 8. I dont think there's a 64 bit version of FLStudio (FruityLoops). So maybe that's it. I'm able to open the ASIO Control Panel....was able to since I installed the drivers but I dont see ASIO in FLStudio. Is there anyway to get the 32 bit ASIO driver to work? Can I download the 32bit drivers and copy the KXASIO.DLL driver over and then register it?

I got the 1st msg, that it succeeded. Tried both regsvr32's (1 in system32 and sysWOW64). I did restart the KX Mixer. Even restarted the computer.

I've been able to open the ASIO Control Panel since I've had the drivers installed. I dont think FLStudio is 64 bit. But FLStudio 9 just came out today and I'm going to see if it works in that. Hopefully it does.

12. mistan

mistan New Member

Wow, that is so lame.

I guess i'm going back to 32-bit Windows 7 and it's memory limitations. You cant win! You go 64 bit to get rid of the memory constraints but then you're faced with incompatibility. AAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHH

13. Astal

Astal New Member

hello
    anyone checked this drivers on AUDIGY 2ZS NOTEBOOK?

14. Chester01

Chester01 New Member

In regards to the Audigy 2 Notebook... I am still having issues with direct sound voices (the 'beepy' noise after switching tracks). using windows 7 x64, 2 gb ram (i know the ram thing is fixed...) kernel streaming works (as it always has)

15. peporroncin

peporroncin New Member

" you may need to increase kX buffer size in Windows7/Vista to avoid clicks "

I am hearing noise in my speakers when I listen music. Do I need increase the buffer size for solve my problem?
    How I can do it?

Thank you!

16. Temragon

Temragon Member

E... I think I love you.

That is all.

17. peporroncin

peporroncin New Member

:uhoh::uhoh:

18. Astal

Astal New Member

I have AUDIGY 2 ZS NOTEBOOK on LENOVO 3000 N100 with Windows7x64 2gb,and i got no sound whatsoever,not even a noise....
    Anything specific i need to do to make it work?
    *Swap Front and Rear option is off
    *Tried all the Wave out options
    *Tried Kernel Streaming
    No success

19. krylko

krylko New Member

Try increasing buffer size. If that doesn't help, select 2/3 as your output instead of Master Mixer.

20. MegaByte

MegaByte New Member

Selecting "master mixer" seems to be the best option. Thanks about pointing out that though. I wonder if the random metallic sounds at system startup will be gone.