3551 ALPHA released

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Eugene Gavrilov, Dec 18, 2010.

1. RPGWiZaRD

RPGWiZaRD New Member

Hmm, any ideas why I'm not seeing Wave HQ device in output device list? Should be there with Audigy 2 ZS right?

EDIT: Nevermind I'm stupid I forgot in the sudden rush of excitement that I'm at parents place where I only have an old Audigy 1 installed. :x

Works good so far on Audigy 1 on Win 7 x64 and I'm noticing a SQ improvement with 96kHz sample rate. :)

EDIT: I must say it really sounds great in Windows 7 now, I've listened to music like 3 hrs straight now with my headphones and can't stop listening.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  2. silvertones

silvertones New Member

The DL keeps stopping. I've tried 2 computers. Any ideas?

3. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

4. silvertones

silvertones New Member

Nope. Neither place will keep going. I tried DL another large file and it went fine.I'll try it when I get to town in the next couple of days. I only have dialup but never have these issues. just takes longer.

5. MegaByte

MegaByte New Member

Eugene, thank you for your hard work on this. I'm surprised (because I heard nothing of you and I thought the project was complete / dead) and impressed (sound quality is much better on my emu10k1)!

6. RPGWiZaRD

RPGWiZaRD New Member

Yes I'm sure you're not the only one. It certainly suprised me seeing the 3551 update, I was already starting to accept the thought I may have to stick to 3550 for the next 4-5 years already. If you know any fellow kX Audio fans be sure to report to them about the update, the more testers or followers of the project, the better IMO, I already spread the word about the update in some forum I use. I just don't want this project to die, if I can do anything about it, I will.

7. jaromanda

jaromanda Active Member

To be honest, I've told everyone I know that uses kx to NOT BOTHER with 3551 - the major bugs in it are "show stoppers" - absolutely unusable

8. ReWired

ReWired New Member

The bugs you called "major" are probably system/card specific. Noone of them are shown with my config. The only one is broken audio from Master Mixer.
    But using SPDIF/AC3 as Default Device for output solved everything Master Mixer related.
    Of course I did clean install of 3551, not upgrade over old one.
    kX Mixer loads everytime, DSP is saved and restored as usual...
    And now I have even working MIDI port!

9. korogui

korogui New Member

For some reason my DSP isnt being saved...
    Everytime i boot my Windows 7 x64 the KXMixer is not being loaded in the tray... Then if I manually start using the KXMixer icon, it got the default audio setup.

I've removed the package completely, deleted all KXProject folders and reinstalled it... And same thing happens.

*Edit: Actually it seens to be pointing to a wrong place...

[​IMG]

I will try to change to C:\Program Files\kX Project\kxmixer.exe and see what happens. ;]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  10. EditioN

EditioN New Member

I got the same problem, and i did as u said, changed to kxmixer.exe from Program Files and now everything is saved :)

11. EditioN

EditioN New Member

I actually stopped having bsods because of ac3 encoding, and WaveOut HQ is working!! Since this is "ALPHA" release, i was honestly expecting more bugs, thanks Eugene for all the hard work :)

regards.

12. jaromanda

jaromanda Active Member

I guess the standard DSP works OK

it's just if you want to actually do something with the DSP that it crumbles in a screaming heap

13. erim

erim Member

Are the VST related components installed by default? I have some KX related stuff in my VST folder and I don't remember being asked about it.

14. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

During install there is a box that asks where your VST folder is......

15. silvertones

silvertones New Member

Still won't download. It quits after about 300-500k.

16. silvertones

silvertones New Member

Hi Eugene,
    Well finally got a break were I could test. Works fantastic for my setup. I can now use the same setup on my backup computer ( Win7X64) as on my main computer ( Win XP SP3 ). These are both dedicated music only machines. I run an old Dell with Linux for Internet & email.
    I play live with a multitrack program with outs assigned as follows:
    Input = Aux out from HW Mixer
    FL & FR = Effects return to HW Mixer
    CTR & LFE = Drums except Kick
    RR & RL = "Band"
    SL & SR = Kick

I also use ProFx SRC for input devices & k2lt for out.
    I can even now use the EFX reverb on the Win7X64 computer & BTW the sound quality is superior to 3550.
    Nicely done.
    I haven't checked anything else though. I want to play with this for awhile.
    PS it would be nice if in my audio application driver list if "Wave out 0/1" was listed as opposed to "SPDIF/AC3 out" not a big deal though.
    Thanks & keep in touch.

17. trex_daemon

trex_daemon Member

Hello. Thanks for this update Eugene. There si one issue that I have noticed so far: In StereoMix, both sliders are stuck to 0 and cannot be moved.
    The good part is that the system does not crash any more when opening faulty modules, as it did in 3550 (it ended up eating all the free RAM and sytem got unresponsive.

18. RPGWiZaRD

RPGWiZaRD New Member

It's definitely a step in the right direction especially for Win7x64 users and I've noticed it sounds better than ever, I really hope you (Eugene) won't give up just quite yet and still try to battle the annoying bugs that's left there but you've done such great work already so I can't really ask for more...

For me personally I haven't had any issues at all for this alpha driver but I use headphones only and use a rather simple setup (not even ASIO).

19. sapo_joe

sapo_joe New Member

Eugene, man, you've got no idea of how much I appreciate your work! I had an old SB Live! stored and was really pissed with my realtek onboard audio, specially after I bought some more expensive studio sound monitors for using on my PC.
    So I dusted the go'old Live off, installed on my parent's PC and gave your newest drivers set a try. (used them alot back on my older system).

I am astonished with the sound quality! After applying the buffer settings a friend from the foruns posted, Master Mixer is working flawlesly! I was so amazed, I went to a hardware store and bought another sb live! to use on my other computer! Working flawlesly on both now! Imagine a brand new Phenom X4 working together with an ancient SB LIve! (CT4760), its just great!

Thank you very much, your effort is just amazing!

A hug from Brazil!

20. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

I thought I would mention that even though the sliders are stuck on some of the basic plugins, it is still possible to adjust the values. The easiest method would probably be to use kX Automation along with a MIDI application (set the MIDI out port to kX Control) with assignable sliders.

e.g.
    A program like Virtual MIDI Sliders.
    Here is a picture showing the use of the above program to change the values of the controls in FxMix2.

Anyway, just a possible workaround for anyone who might need to use 3551a for whatever reason(s).