3D downmix bug?

Discussion in '3-D Audio' started by dco_chris, Oct 22, 2003.

1. dco_chris

dco_chris New Member

Hi, I have noticed that when only 2 speakers are being used sounds that would come through the center speaker of a 5.1 setup are missing (or possibly just too quiet), rather than being properly mixed into the left and right channels. This is really obvious by playing GTA:vice city (engine noise in a car is far too quiet). Also the music in the Halo demo is missing with HW acceleration on. I am unable to test with a 5.1 system so I don't know if it works properly there. I am using a Soudblaster Live value and the 3535 drivers by the way.

2. HunterZ

HunterZ New Member

In the DSP Surrounder effect's Tweak settings, do you have Surround Mode set to On? I believe that will mix the extra channels into the front left and right outputs.

3. Eugene Gavrilov

Eugene Gavrilov kX Project Lead Programmer and Coordinator

have you tried to experiment with 'kxctrl -shw 18 ...'? if yes, make sure you've reset the spatialization engine to defaults by running 'kxctrl -shw 18 0'

>> engine noise in a car is far too quiet

this seems to be a different bug related to some of our 3-D engine formulas

>> unable to test with a 5.1 system

make sure you've set the 'Surrounder' plugin into '2.0 Surround mix' mode [there's a preset with similar name]

/E

4. dco_chris

dco_chris New Member

Hi. Thanks for the help. I found a slight problem with my config that was causing some problems, plus I reset the spatialisation as suggested and made sure that I was using the correct surrounder setting. Vice City is still quiet but that isn't a big problem. The music is still totally dead in the Halo demo with HW accel on but I think I made a mistake in my first post. The music seems to be stereo, so it wouldn't come from the centre. It works with the creative drivers but they slow the game down. Perhaps the demo is buggy (it sounds like the full game is). Anyway, keep up the fantastic work on the drivers!