3d Engine

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by Soulslayerzx, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Soulslayerzx

Soulslayerzx New Member

OK, the world is about money. And apparently I can't get any profit making a mod from the source engine, that's the engine that runs half life 2, portal ,team fortress 2, left4dead 1 and 2, and valve games, I know that making a 3d engine will be very hard, but where can I find tutorials. I'm gonna start studying c++, though don't give me a link to a website with a bunch of BULSHIT saying "Hm,, making a source engine is really hard, you need to think about the goals, and how much you're aiming for". WHAT THE TURD is that, people are retarded enough to say making a mod is really hard, NO IT ISNT! Now any tutorials guys? I have enough members.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2010
  2. Sihastru

Sihastru Never been clicked

It's a bit confusing, do you want to use Valve's Source engine to make your own game/application or do you want to build your own 3D engine from scratch?

If it's the second part you're interested in then can I ask what is your programming experience, languages' proficiency, math and general geometry understanding, etc.? Do you want to go the DX way or maybe the OpenGL way?

A good guide for start ups is to use Microsoft's XNA SDK and try to make a small indie like game and see how it goes. There are step by step tutorials available from Microsoft and the comunity at XNA.

If you want to start from absolute scratch then there are a few older tutorials from nVidia, called "GPU Gems". Start from there.

Good luck! (hope you're not a spam bot)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  3. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

Translation:

4. NeoNero

NeoNero New Member

Well, it is hard and very painfull process that can take 10 years of your life. However I recommend to start by first looking at how others did it. Nice place to start is to download source code for Ogre3d (open source graphics engine with very liberal license allowing commercial products based on it), and see how it's made. You can also find a lot of tutorials on their web site. I suggest you start from there and try to build everything else on top of it. I guess a nice world editor and other tools supporting Ogre3d could be a fine source of income since there is a large comunity around this engine and there are still no serious tools.