3d max5 what would help render speed

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by chris285, May 5, 2004.

1. chris285

chris285 New Member

ok i have a dilema to do with upgrading my pc, and its kind of related to something i will do with this program in the future

at uni in my final year, i have a 3d animation unit. this is a fairly render heavy process, with it possibly taking many hours if not days to complete. so anything i can do to increase the speed of this process would help, and i was planning on upgrading anyway.

now also i will be using the same program for my independant study, i will be modelling a high polygon image of a game character i will be creating as well.

so my question is what helps most in rendering 3d images, is it graphics card or cpu+motherboard? i ask as i have heard 2 conflicting responces from this.

basically i will be upgrading my system, and i'm looking at getting a x800pro as a new graphics card over the summer. now i'm wondering if i should get a mobile barton and another 512mb of ram, or wait for the socket 939 motherbaords from amd. i know p4's are better at this, but i am firstly a gamer hence my cpu selection

my current system is -

xp2100 tbred b @ 2ghz on stock volts, 2x256 xms3200 corsair cas 2 ram in dual channel @ 2-2-2-11 and 200fsb, abit nf7-s rev 2.0 motherboard, asus 128mb ti4200 at stock

2. tastyweat

tastyweat Lurking

as I told you over msn... A FEW TIMES! lol - and I think once even in person - the best upgrade for render speed (excluding the upgrade to x800pro) would be moving to socket 939 - more ram would only speed up rendering if it is high-res rendering

3. wertret

wertret Still watching...

High speed renderring= Mobo+at least 1GB Speedy Ram+Pentium; plain and simple as that:)

4. tastyweat

tastyweat Lurking

tbh werty.... I think that a 2.6GHz socket 939 Athlon 64 San Diego with 512mb and a x800pro would render quicker than a 3.4ghz pentium with 1024mb and x800pro... in 3ds max at least

...you're the expert though

5. chris285

chris285 New Member

well as i say first and foremost i am a gamer, hence the amd route

and my ram is damn good, in fact i might have trouble finiding some stuff good enough to match it

6. tastyweat

tastyweat Lurking

You know me chris - i'll match it for ya!