3D printer for some space stuff

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by bearnard bale, Apr 30, 2021.

1. bearnard bale

bearnard bale Member

I`ve recently found an interesting article about 3D printer which is used in aerospace area. Have you heard anything about that? This machine allows to print multi-composite parts simultaneously from several materials, which is infeasible in other types of aerospace 3d printing.

arb65912 likes this.
  2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

3D printing for space and aviation and countless other things has been happening for the past 10 years nearly.

arb65912 and bearnard bale like this.
  3. bearnard bale

bearnard bale Member

Personally, I`ve got to know it just a few weeks ago. The article I`ve read about this 3d printer which is called additive manufacturing services tells that this printer allows to print multi-composite parts simultaneously from several materials, which is infeasible in other types of aerospace 3d printing.

arb65912 likes this.
  4. Judas

There is a 3D printer that is being manufacturered and was initially in it's testing phase about 8 years ago i think now, that doesn't rely on additive process, it does it basically like any common 3d printer. The metals it can print with range from iron to nickle to titanium. The cost of such a unit is massive and it relies on high electrical magnetic methods to heat the metals to high enough temp to melt and then solidify. The injector is made of a ceramic material that can handle the intense heat without deforming. It's quite cool.

Calliers and arb65912 like this.
  5. arb65912

arb65912 Well-Known Member

My job just purchased 3D printer for plastic. Very cool, you can print basically anything and there is a choice of plastic and components so it is food grade etc. if needed.
    I was thinking about getting a "home" one but than, what would I be printing anyway so I gave up. :)

Very cool things anyway.

6. bearnard bale

bearnard bale Member

And just imagine having such kind of tool but more advanced in space exploration area. It would make some the building of some technology cheaper and easier. I guess it`s a huge step forward

7. SpaceJac111

SpaceJac111 New Member

Once I was browsing Google in search of interesting information about the third stage https://www.skyrora.com/third-stage for Skyrora XL rocket and found out this rocket engine was made using their additive technology. I can't believe that engines can be 3d printed because I always thought that 3d printing couldn't be used for such purposes. However, as I see, the final material is tough enough to handle that kind of stress.

bearnard bale likes this.
  8. bearnard bale

bearnard bale Member

I`ve read about this piece of information. Actually, this 3D printing technology made me surprised. Just imagine if in some time we are able to use more advanced 3d printing technology in space exploration.

9. SpaceJac111

SpaceJac111 New Member

Of course, we will use even more advanced technology. The space exploration industry never stands still and progresses faster than we can notice; that's why I believe that scientists will use a more advanced version of 3d printers and will manufacture more details using plastic.

bearnard bale likes this.
  10. bearnard bale

bearnard bale Member

Just imagine a whole rocket or even space shuttle made with the help of 3D printing technology. I know, now it sounds a bit crazy but who knows, maybe in a few decades scientists will be able to build one)

11. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

You guys do realize that aero plane jet engines are being 3D printed now right? Like actual metal, not just plastic.

arb65912 and bearnard bale like this.
  12. bearnard bale

bearnard bale Member

Actually, it was a kind of new for me. I couldn`t even imagine that 3D printing technology is used in such spheres like space engineering or used for airplane jet engines

SpaceJac111 and Calliers like this.
  13. arb65912

Where can we read on that @Calliers ?
    I do believe you, just thought maybe you could post some link here.

Calliers likes this.
  14. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

arb65912 and SpaceJac111 like this.
  15. arb65912

Calliers likes this.
  16. Judas

from nearly 7 years ago:

arb65912 likes this.
  17. Judas

Just to state, about a month ago had watched a video about the prospects of something both toyota and tesla were basically doing. Tesla talks about their gigapress which isn't 3d printing but the aspect of it's size and what it makes can be brought forward.

The newer 3D additive, as well as the previously mentioned ceramic metal 3d printer that doesn't use the additive aspect being scaled up with MANY lasers and printers working in tandem to build a plane from scratch. The idea was to implement the additive measures for the hull and sub structure of a plane while using the metal 3D printer to build the intricate circuits and insulators. The resulting weight reduction and efficiency improvement for the plane would be about a 60% reduction while increasing it's efficiently substantially enough that they couldn't fully calculate it. The other cool thing is that they are contemplating the electric engine design into it using solid state batteries (which is actually the primary target of the video at the time). They suspect with such designs the plane would be able to go just beyond the sound barrier in terms of speed (so just over mach 1) while providing a much safer and comfortable flight and consuming much less energy too, plus the planes would be easily fully charged up with no change in weight distribution or worrying about that aspect since the wings wouldn't have to be designed to support the stresses and weight of the varying amounts of fuel that is put on the plane (and it's liquidity problems).

IMO things are likely to get quite interesting very soon, sooner than some people think if we can get this bullshit pandemic nonsense out of the way.

arb65912 and Calliers like this.
  18. arb65912

Thank you @Judas . I did not realize I was so much behind on that. :)