3D printing an Austin Martin DB4

Discussion in 'Petrol Heads Forum' started by MIG-31, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

much further down the line..:hmm:

2. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

Oh, things can happen very quickly. Similar things have been said before about new technology and many have been surprised how much quicker it became more or less a standard.

3. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

Its all hype...not forgetting that it has merit, but mark my words, it will be a novelty for a little while longer than you think.

4. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

They said the same thing about the internet. ;)

5. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

that reminds me, I started work with it over twenty years ago, and its still not a mature product.

6. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

the best things are hand made..... but once a 3D model is formed.... digitally scanned and then tweaked... 3D printing it would be flawless

Yes I agree.. we aren't likely to see a manufacturer of say vehicles deploying 3D printers in all their factories and yanking out the assembling robots that handle the migs and parts with very little human interaction that is already ongoing.

But it will occur.... and it'll be better than anything we can do with our hands for each vehicle. Far less problems and assembling errors.

Perfect replication.

7. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

Was the Terminator 3D printed? No. Lol. :lol:

8. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

10 years tops before we see it, or have products we can buy off the shelf, on a regular basis that have printed in 3D.

It's only as mature as our consumption allows it to be. With our new drives for the use of internet capabilities such as streaming, gaming, etc. as opposed to simple HTML websites of yesteryear, the internet needs to constantly evolve. So, if you want to say it's not a mature product because of that, then yes, you're right. However, if you realize this ever changing state, as I'm sure you do, then it will be continuously "evolving" and never be neither mature nor immature.

:lol:

9. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

3d printing is not cheap. When its in the bedroom or home office, then I would say it has punched its way through, just like home printing, but uses are not even remotely analogous. Create a need at home for 3D printing then yeah...its finally made it.

10. Judas

Working with machinery, there is already an expensive market that 3D printing is more than able to satisfy in it's current state with plastics..

A lot of plastic/nylon or poly bushings and pads are used in the farm industry, Specially the plastic nozels and pieces that generally are sold to farmers for dozens of dollars or hundreds of dollars for something so simple and not even that complex.

Having a large enough 3D printers to print such a product isn't expensive at all, the cost of a large capacity printer that can make the larger parts is about $5000. It would pay for itself after only printing out 3 sets of pads for a single header for example.

When I did my math... the amount of printing material used (and it's cost) even being considered.

Problem is.... it would make more sense to have a massive 3D printer at various locations rather than stuffing them into a single large place. Each city having a few sets of 3D printers.... customers just walking up.. punching in their order.. or just having them place their order online.. and then having it printed and delivered or picking up later when it's done.

11. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

Nothing against your math or your perception of what is or is not cheap, but there has been such a tremendous investment already in 3D printing, would it not make sense to wait for cheap metals to be created? Extruding is not cheap in anyway, shape or form, those plastics come from petroleum distilates right?.

12. Judas

doesn't matter on a farm.... we've used worse products to get the job done.

Currently the plastic alternative of using 3D printing is significantly cheaper than the overpriced crap they sell to us made of near identical materials.

13. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

how do you figure? what do you base your information on? Judas, come one...you and I both know the demos and hype are not cheap, show me a model where the costs are cheaper for the automotive industry or something else. I think you are very very optomistic.

14. Judas

I was referencing the current situation to replacement plastic parts for farm equipment

automotive..... that's a different thing ATM.. but it will oventually happen.

15. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

well....IYO its on the way, I dont disagree, but there is entirely too much hype over something that is still very very immature. Otherwises the industrial sector would already have it.
    Like I said, it would be in every single household if it was that cheap.

16. Judas

Like I've mentioned... the plastics are what's maturing quickly.. it's the metals that manufacturers are more likely very interested in the metal ones which are EXTREMELY new and need maturing. Once that is sorted we'll see things hopping quickly.

17. edwardjennings66

edwardjennings66 New Member

“Was the Terminator 3D printed”
    I think the production team of Terminator is going to use 3D printing for the next movie instalment. Other sci-fi movies are also integrating prototyping as well. I’m a big fan of 3D printing, and had to test a number of 3D2print’s ABS coloured filament a few weekends ago for my Transformer models. So far, I’ve printed Bumble Bee.