3DMark

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by CDsDontBurn, May 11, 2012.

1. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

I've noticed with the later versions/patches of 3Dmark06 and newer, it requires you to have an internet connection in order to view your scores. Why did they do this?

Also, is there anyway to get a resolution or any other settings applied other than "default" if you have the free version? Also, with the free version, you can't get it to run on a loop or even select which tests you want to run or not run, right?

2. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

I'm not sure why you have to go online to view results. Probably to make pirating the expensive versions harder, or to force you to contribute to their database of results or something like that.

As for the limitations of the free version, yes, it's extremely restrictive. You can't run custom settings or tests of any kind.

3. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I've personally given up on 3DMark for those reasons. If you need it for work, get the company to shell out. :)

4. CDsDontBurn

yea, that's what i'm thinking. but i'm really conscious of what the company spends on my department already that I don't want to spend any other money than what I already have to.

5. IvanV

I'm a little surprised that they don't have a license for it already.

6. CDsDontBurn

They are as cheap as possible and save money wherever they can. If there's a free burn-in program available, that will be pursued first before one is paid for.

7. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

3DMark06 isn't ideal as a burn-in program anymore, not least because it tends to be so CPU bottlenecked on newer systems.

8. IvanV

I didn't know graphics cards needed to be "burned in". :oops:

If you want something that has the most chance to melt the card, then I suggest Furmark. If you prefer something more 3dMark-like, Unigine Heaven; to really bring the card to it's knees, set tessellation to "Ridiculous"*. :)

*not an actual setting name :D

9. CDsDontBurn

Yea, I already use both FurMark and Heaven burn in. FurMark I primarily use for initial testing to ensure a card will work. Heaven I use for DX11 testing.