41 percent of consumers say their next car will be electric

Discussion in 'Petrol Heads Forum' started by Calliers, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

Electric vehicles are increasingly breaking into the mainstream. According to a new survey conducted by EY, 41 percent of consumers planning to buy a car say their next vehicle will be a plug-in. And they're mainly making that decision because of the environmental impact.

EY surveyed 9,000 consumers across 13 countries (Australia, Canada, China, Germany, India, Italy, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea, Sweden, the UK, and the US) in June of this year as part of its Mobility Consumer Index. The last time the firm conducted this survey, in September 2020, just 30 percent said their next car would be either a battery EV or plug-in hybrid EV.

2. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

"Yeah my next car will be a new one no more second hand" is a phrase I have said every time I purchased a second hand car and 35 years and 10 cars later and I have still had nothing newer than a 5 years ago model

I really doubt that 4 out of 10 will switch at their next purchase they may have the intent or say they have the intent but they wont.

The thing is if you walk up to an average person with a survey and say "would you consider buying an electric car next to help save the environment or just keep using fossil fuels and pollute the world your kids live in " you kind of have to say "Well yes I mean ..to save the planet"

Surveys can so easily be swayed anyone that has watched the Sublime Yes Minister knows this ...

"The last time the firm conducted this survey, in September 2020, just 30 percent said their next car would be either a battery EV or plug-in hybrid EV."

and do the current figures support that the 30 % estimated was upheld ?

Personally until an electric car can average 200 miles on 1 charge and get a full recharge in under 10 minutes and comes with a replaceable battery as standard so that I can buy second hand with confidence I doubt I will switch

Calliers and IvanV like this.
  3. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

So the answer is 41 % of 9000 people said yes they would swap to electric.. (Don't ask me the answer to the actual number) that is a Minute number...

But what about the % who said no and then the % who is undecided...

Does that make this survey some what meaningless.

But for me i will not be going electric for a very long time.

A few reasons:

A) The cost of a small electric car is around £30.000 with poor millage from the batteries.
    B) No Idea how much it would cost to charge up
    C) How long it takes to charge up on a standard supply point. Not all have fast charge points
    D) I have no place for a charge point at my house...
    E) The Batteries are on average of 25% of the price of the car (Dependant of make or model)
    F) Lifespan of the batteries before they need replacing. So there is an issue with the second hand market when they get older is the condition of the Batteries at the time...

Calliers and Mr Cairo like this.
  4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

A) The overwhelming majority of people don't drive in a week's time, even in rural areas, that the lowest (typical) battery model supplies for total distance, so that's not remotely a problem for most
    B) Even in HIGH electrical cost areas, the dollar per mile is quite a bit cheaper from what i've seen, there is a reason a number of places with insanely high electrical costs per kwh still have good uptake on electric vehicles.
    C) Entirely dependent on the service, but if say in north america where 15amp 120v is your absolutely bare minimum plug that's universally found everywhere, i think it's about 3 days from full depletion to fully charged give or take depending. Someone stated about 4 miles per hour at that rate. But that again depends on various circumstances.
    D) Not sure about where you live, but i personally have wired in multiple 30amp 120v and 50amp 240v plugs, very very easy, The equipment for such doesn't appear to be too excessive in cost, and even at my shit garbage home, wiring in a 50amp 240v on my 100amp service would be childs play. Most homes these days are built with 200 or even 400 amp service entries. Depending on where your electrical is brought in from, be it overhead or underground, the overhead line could be upgraded if it's limited to 100amp, underground not so much sadly without a far greater expense.
    E) I'm not sure how this is a problem, The engines alone in a vehicle are often 25% of the cost for a standard vehicle, if not more, and that's excluding the drive train and countless other things. I mean power steering fluid, coolant, transmission fluid, oil, brake fluid, differential fluids, and all of each component that often requires constant maintenance, much of which simply doesn't exist at all in any form on a proper electric. If there is one that that electric holds high over the heads of literally anything else, it's the fact that maintenance basically drops to near zero which means that not only are there far less fixed costs involved, but far less to usually go wrong on top of that which means less parts required in that vein. The very few people i know that have had electric cars for just one year, ONE year, comparing to their old gas/diesel, saved enough money that literally paid for the vehicle itself plus more, the equated it to basically having a free vehicle.
    F) Lifespan of batteries thus far tested even as lithium (sold state ariving already) shows that the vehicle would grossly outlast that of any standard gasoline/diesel engine in the majority of cases. Expecting to hit a million km/miles if not a few million potentially. This is one reason tesla 2nd hand vehicles have actually been found for MORE than what a new one costs because in the case of tesla, this has been proven to be basically a non issue entirely. Can't remember what the last count was but there are a number of tesla vehicles that basically never stop driving, they basically are traveling constantly across the states in order to test the battery endurances even today. Last i had read at some point, or heard, was that about 2 dozen teslas have managed to hit a million miles with only a peak degradation of about 40 miles lost in battery capacity.

5. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Regarding the points you made (I mean Judas), A) £30.000 is a hell of a lot of money for a small buzzer to go around town; C) 4 miles per hour of charging?! Oof! D) 50A 240V? That's not readily available. I think you'd have to request something like that from the power company and it would cost you quite a bit here. F) Cool if that is/will be the norm. Those seem to be batteries unlike any others known to man, though.

6. Judas

a) 50,000 CAD (30,000 pounds) for a vehicle is extremely common for a vehicle today, i'd hate for you to look at any of the vehicles we've had to get, i know the 1 ton dually we had to get tends to hit the 60,000 pounds or more mark and that's without all the bells and whistles. My suburban to replace it today is equally as high.

I'm not aware of any modern vehicle today you can buy new that isn't a pile of shit out of the gate.

C) that's basically worst case scenario essentially

D) most i see are 30A 120v in north america, with a few of the super charger options being 40 or 50amp. Most electrical stoves provide 50amp 240v as standard, with electrical water heaters running 30amp 240v. These recepticals are common, in fact the 50amp 240v range plugs are standard with RVs of higher caliber with 30amp 120v for more common lower tier RVs. There are a hell of a lot homes all over the place that have 30amp 120v plugs so chances are that a lot of people would simply plug straight into those electrical outlets for their higher tier charging. I should mention that you can often select the charge rate, slower charges are often best, so a number of people that drive home, once they arrive plug in and simply set it to charge as slow as possible or at set it to charge at whatever given rate is required to be fully charged by morning. As for requiring your power company to show up, why?

F) Tesla's batteries are exceptional in design, a lot of engineers have been quite impressed with them, both in their design and expected lifespan/charge cycle counts not to mention their cost effectiveness. Solid state should absolutely decimate things though, turning the battery industry on it's head, but i'm sure it'll take a number of generations to sort out the kinks, just like lithium required a lot to improve and not burst into flames.

7. Calliers

Electric cars are already pretty decent for those that live in places with superchargers and normal chargers in a nice network, but here in Saskatchewan we have ZERO chargers in a network so yeah, I still wouldn't buy an electric car....yet.

I mean they sure beat how cars started out, the first cars were like 5 horse power or something and were just as slow if not slower than horse drawn carriages.

Also, ICE cars took donkey years to improve, do you remember Mafia (the game)? I mean running in that game was better than driving. :D

8. MIG-31

As for the Points i made were based on the UK.... So There is No comparison to prices in the UK that the US or Canada can match...

My Current car were £20.000 from New and i can tell you that the Engine is no where near 25% of the value of the car... It is much Less than that... :rolleyes:

A Vast Majority of houses/Apartments in the UK do not have a driveway to be able to park a electric car to charge. We can not leave a cable plugged in over a Public Path due to liability reasons. Trip hazarded etc etc.

Also there are minimal charge points in public places. so charging most Electric Cars is not going to be practical for a long time to come...

The Cheap City E/C can take something like 9 hours or so to fully charge, So you are limit to travel distance which is fine for the City run around's if it suits.

Teslas are a total different thing altogether, They are less than 1% of total of electric cars on the UK roads... and start from £40.000 New. and that is the basic Model 3. And the cheapest Used Tesla i can find online is still around £30.000.

The average car price on the road is no where near the price of a new E/C..., and most can not afford to Buy a New car...

The average wage in the UK per year is £26.000.... (Possibly less for most) and most will not spend that sort of money on any type of car....

9. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

Like Mig I am in the UK and the nearest public charge point for me is over a mile away, I dont have a drive and as Mig said we cant run cables over the pavement as this could be liability issue

We are still a couple of years away from a decent electric infrastructure here .... the guy that cracks wireless car charging at home is going to make millions

other option is like a spare battery that charges indoors while your out and about and then plugs into an interior electrical socket overnight

charging stations and exterior ports cannot be the only option

Other drawback is I can buy a 5 year old car with only 40,000 on the clock for about 6 Grand, not really an incentive to buy a 25 Grand car over that other than enviromental

10. Judas

in terms of rule of thumb, most people aren't going to buy new anyways. Those that do, will usually make the investment in electric or at least consider it.

IS it illegal to make a driveway on your properties? Be it in the front or the back?

11. MIG-31

This is how it is.. No it is not illegal... It would be to my (Or Our) expense. If we are given permission to do so.

20210722_203516.jpg

That is my how i have to park my car. There is a drive way (to the left of the pic) but that is owned by my neighbour.

Yes i Could Convert My Front Garden into a drive way.... Remove the front fence easily done. Drop Down Kerb at around £800 done by the council. Turn the Garden into a Driveway Possibly £5000...And then as i am the only house who has the access ( Not Shown) to the drainage points would have to pay for that also. Price being i would not like to know. so going electric is not as easy as some think.

Calliers likes this.
  12. Judas

Rather like the fact that i'm at no cost, having the freedom to.... if for example i owned the exact style of property where i am, remove the fence, not even have to throw gravel on it, and just park my vehicle on the grass and only make improvements when or if i wanted to. I don't need permission to do any of that.

13. Calliers

The man's got a green thumb, leave him alone... :p