44.1>48 resample. How to avoid it?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Slash_irk, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Chester01

Chester01 New Member

have you tried the pphs resampler? is it inferior to the ssrc one? also: noise distribution gaussian - how can i enable this in foobar2k? Thank you for all your hard work on this topic! We need more perfectionists like you :) (not putting anyone down there)

2. Chester01

Chester01 New Member

slash, can you please post a picture of your DSP? I am curious which plugins you are using. I currently use the p16v plugin which I believe accepts a 24 bit input. To avoid re-resampling; I should use 24 bit output on foobar correct?

3. TravelRec.

TravelRec. Alternative Audioproductions

Hi there!

Made also some tests to check whether the resampling is audible or not. My oscilloscope shows the distortion also, but I don´t think that my ears can feel any difference, so for you all to compare:

Analog recorded wave with SB0400 UDA input and 44.1k, rebuild as *.mp3 44.1kHz 160kbps:

www.electricstart.de/sound/psyche441.mp3

Analog recorded wave with SB0400 UDA input and 48k, rebuild as *.mp3 48kHz 160kbps:

www.electricstart.de/sound/psyche48.mp3

Can you feel any difference?!?

4. igor_levicki

igor_levicki Intel Black Belt

To answer the question, the only way to avoid resampling in hardware is to play everything at 48 khz. Has anyone tried r8brain src converter from voxengo? You can rip cds and then batch convert them using HQ conversion to 48 khz and then pack to .ape or .flac format. It will surely sound a lot better.

5. Slash_irk

Slash_irk New Member

Chester, can you tell me how to make the picture of dsp (should I just post the photo of "4X DSP" or something else)? And I didn't try any other SSRC's, only SSRC 2.2.3. of winamp. The different configuration didn't change the signal too much. No matter what it is, 24 but, guassian or whatever. Just set 48k resampling and 16 bit. It will be enough.

Trevelrec, I tried to hear the difference, but I couldn't both using SSRC and without it.
    Can anyone post a short fragment from DVD audio good-sounding CD? As far as I understand the records on DVD Audio are all in 48K. We could resample it into 44K and compare two records.

6. Chester01

Chester01 New Member

the easiest way to post a picture of the DSP is to take a screen shot of your computer screen. All you have to do is press the 'Print Screen' key at the top of the keyboard (by F12) and a screen shot of your current screen will be copied into the clipboard. Open up MSPaint or whatever program you use to create/modify pictures with and select Edit then Paste. You may want to crop so we only see the dsp (so we dont see personal things on your computer.) Good luck!

7. igor_levicki

igor_levicki Intel Black Belt

Check this out. They claim it is the best SRC software around.

8. refraction

refraction New Member

thats very strange, if both results in 48khz and 44khz were the same the that would be right, obviously as 48khz is the resamples one, the results should be the same as 44khz as you cant gain data from taking a lower sample quality and raising it. 22khz would be right as long as you are in stereo as you have to remember thats 44khz for BOTH channels, so 22khz for each, obvioulsy this only applies to stereo.

i think i would agree its an A-to-D problem, signal loss is common especially where there is a lot of electrics, only thing you can try is moving your sound card as far away from any other components as you can.

9. nyquility

nyquility New Member

10. Chester01

Chester01 New Member

it sounds VERY good on my system. with the high quality option you really can hear the difference in the highs. (I have only done a listening test, not anything scientific.) the best quality mode uses TONS of cpu though, for normal purposes i use the medium which sounds good... Just a question, would it be possible to make a DSP plugin which would do this conversion (I have a fear the answer is no because once the audio is in the card its probably 48khz) I believe the 10k2's processor would be much better suited to do this type of conversion. we could use the SRC (secret rabbit code) algorithm or something

11. TravelRec.

TravelRec. Alternative Audioproductions

Hmmm, isnt´t it the DSP itself that causes the resampling issue?! A plugin inside the DSP so cannot do a re-resampling, afaik :( ...

12. Rogacz

Rogacz Porcupine Floyd

Whoa! It really EATS my CPU. 25 - 27% on my Athlon Barton 2500+ @ 2800+. That's really much, but I'll have to listen to it for some time to say if it's worth or not. It looks like I'll like rabbits :>

13. Chester01

Chester01 New Member

use the medium setting for the secret rabbit thing... not best, best eats way too much cpu

14. King_Tweaker

King_Tweaker New Member

Hey all I have tried lots of different plugins for winamp and am testing those with certain wav files at 44.1 and 48khz and the difference is noticable but as a few of you already said the ssrc one does not do a perfect job. It is even visible in winamps display of the wave.

However trying out this secret rabbit code plugin in foo the display looks perfect even though its very hard to notice an audible difference.

Have any of you guys got a winamp version of the secret rabbit code plugin as I am sure this would be my perfect combination! Thanks alot!