4870 1GB or 4850x2?

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by TheAscension, Feb 17, 2009.

1. TheAscension

TheAscension New Member

The difference between the 4870 and 4850X2 (not a 4870X2) is $25. The thing is, maybe I didn't explain this correctly, I already own that PSU. It came with my case. I've been running my Phenom system with it for over 6 months.

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I am sorry, but, although I don't know you, I can't possibly suggest you run ANY system with a $26 PSU. yes, it is possible that it will work fine and that the PSU will live for another 10 years, there is no way to know for sure though. It is possible that it will not be able to handle the new graphics card and just not power up, in which case you will have to either buy a new PSU or put back your old graphics card. The major problem is with the PSU failing and ruining all or part of your computer. Are you willing to risk this? If not, then find money for another PSU. If yes, from the bottom of my heart good luck.

3. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

I've linked to this video before, and I guess it's worth doing it again:

Welcome to Corsair :: Corsair Cinema

THAT is why you don't buy a cheap PSU.

There is no "industry standard' for PSU rating, so the makers/providers are free to use pretty much anything that they want. Some will rate theirs as peak power at 25c and others, like CORSAIR will rate theirs as maximun continious at 50c. There is a BIG difference between the two. 'peak power' is generally what it can reach just before it dies. ALso, the temperature is important as well, and as the temperature rises, the maximun power that a PSU will be capable of drops. I can't remember just how much, but for every 10c it's pretty substantial. Rating at 25c is a joke, as there are going to be very few, if any, PSUs that are going to be that cool internally, even outside the case.

Another thing that the higher quality PSUs give you is better energy efficency. They will cost you less to operate over a period of time, so their higher initial cost is somewhat offset in the long run.

Nobody here is trying to "bust your chops' over the PSU choice you made. We are just offering some advice (some of us from personal experience :oops:) they just may keep you from destroying a new video card, and wasting your hard earned $$.

I can appreciate your "pushing the budget" comment as I'm on a fixed income (social security cause I'm an OLD FART). I have to save for awhile for most of my upgrades as well, and know how it is to lust for the latest and greatest component, but knowing that I can't get it "right now".

My personal advice is to use the money that you are wanting to spend on the new video card for a good PSU, and then start saving for a new card. I've been saving for a 4870 X2 myself, and am getting close, but I may still hold off, as I think that the 5xxx series are "just around the corner", and I'm betting that they will have DX11 support as well.

4. TheAscension

TheAscension New Member

Thank you for the thoughts. I will consider them all. However, still nobody has told me what they think is the better card...

Anyone?

5. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

Looked around Bro and they are pretty darn close in performance. Having not used either of those cards here I really can't give you a definitive answer ...

6. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I would go for the 4870.

7. Chaos

Chaos Number Nine

because the 4850X2 is not mainstream drivers may be an issue but in theory it should be slightly faster overall at high resolutions. If possible get the 2GB version of the 4850X2

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  8. Cow_160483

Cow_160483 HH's only cow moooooo...

i would suggest you go for the 4870 rather than the 4850 X2! and a 1GB version if you can.
    Just to reiterate what every one has been saying get a better PSU (sorry if am beating a dead horse) ;)

9. tanka12345

tanka12345 New Member

I think the 4870 1GB is the best choice as it has a great price to performance ratio. You also will have a wide variety of 4870 manufacturers and pricing. The 4850X2 is an OK card, but the 4870 is easily better value for money. Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't Sapphire the only maker of the 4850X2 so far? If they are, you will have no choice,and no pricing options.

In conclusion: Get a 4870 1GB. This has been mentioned many times before: get a new PSU to power your new video card!!!! (I cannot stress this enough)

Cow_160483 likes this.
  10. TheAscension

TheAscension New Member

11. billionairebum

billionairebum New Member

In South Africa PC parts are really really expensive. With my last pc i paid the same amount for my 8800gt as for my thermaltake psu. Now you want to spend 25 bucks for a psu and run a 4870 with it??? No guy...

12. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Replace the psu or your not going to be happy.....

then get the hd4870 1gb....

13. procupine14

procupine14 Why is it Beeping!?!?!

See the thing that I want to take a minute and beat a dead horse again is I already know what happens with cheap PSU's. I've seen them hit high load and destroy some nice systems. We aren't hapring on this because it isn't the latest and greatest PSU in the world but we are saying that one in say a name brand category at the same wattage will most likely blast a generic away when approaching the maximum egde of its capability. The problem with cheap PSUs isn't that they are made to do what they do (of course they are) but they are made using cheaper components like all the circuitry on the actual board internally. Therefore, they aren't as highely guaranteed to last as long/take the abuse of a nice PSU. A friend of mine used the PSU that came with his xion case despite my lectures and ended up practiacally burning his entire Core 2 setup to the ground including the 3 HDDs. I'm sorry if I'm being rude I just want to explain things to you.

14. PC_Inquisitor

PC_Inquisitor New Member

4870 man... But, really go for the Nvidia side... GTX 260 Max core is The Card...

15. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

The cheapest PSU i would recommend period... lowest end imo... which has proved to perform very well is the Coolermaster Extreme Power lineup... they aren't cheap mind you... but they do very well considering i've used even a 500watt with 2x16amp 12v rails that powered the x1900xtx's well enough... and powered a HD3850 AGP as well.

16. jandarsun8

jandarsun8 Active Member

I'd go with the 4870 1 gig as there are couple of different choices out there not to mention that with the x5xxx series coming out soon, the option to get a second one at a lower cost later on to xfire is there as well (with a PSU upgrade of course).

17. procupine14

procupine14 Why is it Beeping!?!?!

agreed

18. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

Agreed !!

But remember TheAscension the final choice is always yours we can only provide feedback.

Best of luck and as always feedback and we want Benchies :drool:

19. Blacklash

Blacklash Che cazzo stai dicendo?

It's worth noting X-bit labs tests ATi cards with quality adaptive AA on.

Not everyone uses that feature and not at said setting.

20. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

What a fraud! I'd expect a good 400W PSU to power a normal system with a 9600GT. It may have been faulty unit, I read some of the reviews there and I saw a few people saying that the first PSU they got was dead out of the box, while others are more or less satisfied. Still, some of the people with higher end computers report that, although initially ok, the unit didn't last too long.

So, regardless of anything, I'd say swap the PSU. I'm not sure if it will have to be 650W, but you will need a decent amount of power for your system (the x3 uses quite a bit of power, two hard drives, high spec RAM... add a powerful graphics card and it's definitely a more power hungry system than most) and by all means, get a good brand because on the cheap ones specs don't mean a lot.