4870 X2 running on skulltrail

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by HardwareHeaven, Aug 3, 2008.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Yes, thats what I said.

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

sorry for whatever reason i missed that

3. HardwareHeaven

you upgrading to the X2's ? I know you tend to only buy ATI.

4. H82LUZ

H82LUZ New Member

I am looking at the 4870x2 + 1 4870 option,Or maybe just wait one more week and get a 2nd 4870 for $200,Some places here in Canada have them ranging from $284-$329 price rang (4870) So getting the 4870x2 would be good.

Zardon does the mix Cross fire scale well ? Or does the X2 get put to say 3 4870`s ? thanks AMD/ATI for so many options and great cards....

5. Judas

the scaling i've seen so far in reviews says it quite good.... not perfect.. but quite good.

just makes sure you've got a powerful enough psu to run more then the x2 ;)

6. HardwareHeaven

Well I really can't go into massive specifics here as our article will be going up in the near future.

On Skulltrail with a 4870X2 and a 4870 I noticed gains yes. I certainly wouldnt say they were massive gains, but frame rates increased yes. Obviously this is still very driver specific and im sure this will improve in time.

It is a nice option for the end user I think and I like the way ATI are offering mix and match systems.

7. H82LUZ

H82LUZ New Member

Ok thanks Zardon will be looking for that review next week,But might just get a 2nd 4870 ($281 for a Sapphire ) And just save up until I can get the 4870x2.

Judas i think my Enermax 850 DXX Galaxy can handle it,Seen a pre-review yesterday and they had 2 4870 and they switched to a 1 X2 and 1x 4870.

8. Zelig

Zelig Well-Known Member

Hey Z,

Do you see dual-gpu cards as being gimmicky still, or are they essentially equivalent to running a dual card setup?

And where do you see a market for dual-gpu cards? High end parts only, and will they eventually dominated the high end market?

9. HardwareHeaven

I dont think "gimmicky" is the right word. they do have an issue however, which will be total reliance on the driver. In theory if a new title arrives and there is no driver support, you are looking at a possible 50% performance.

I don' think its a perfect solution by any means but this really is the first card in a long time from ATI that I would happily have in one of my own systems.

10. sammorris

sammorris New Member

Hmm, when i first ran 3870s in crossfire it was very tedious and unreliable, it finally became useful around the release of Catalyst 8.5. Hopefully the 4870s won't have such an uncomfortable warmup period. Even if they do, we're looking at much faster cards to start with.

11. Judas

i think alot of that will be resolved with the launch of dual core gpu's instead of straight up dual gpu's...

12. HardwareHeaven

Well right now the only real issue we can see is the fact that to totally use all the card the driver is going to have to support the game properly.

Every major title we have tried is supported, but there really isnt much out right now, new and AAA list. That will be the test, to see how long it takes ATI to get support for brand new, killer games. I know in the past there has been some issues with people beating games before the crossfire capable driver is even released.

13. IamLakota

IamLakota New Member

Hey Z, Maximum PC"s Dream Machine issue is out and they used the SkullTrail board and crossfired 4870X2 cards and it looked sweet.The artical and testing they did puts ATI back on top "according" to them. They also pointed out trying to SLI 2 Nvidia 280's
    would not work on the skulltrail,have you tryed to sli on the board and can you give us any comments on it with out breaking your NDA??

14. HardwareHeaven

Well im not under NDA with Skulltrail, but yes unfortunately I can confirm that SLI does not work with 280's. Which is a real shame as I have three sitting here at the minute (XFX XXX editions). It neither works in 2x or 3x with the Skulltrail motherboard (and I have access to beta drivers from Nvidia to support slix3 on skulltrail). I managed to get two of them booting but stability was incredibly low.

At least the 4870X2's work great.

15. hellotheremyfriend

hellotheremyfriend New Member

good to know Zardon. I just posted in your R700 preview thread about temperature issues. A guy on anandtech forums said his card "popped" when he was playing crysis and his temperatures were well over 90c. (think he said 98c)

Have you found that? what are idle and load temperatures? its a big concern for me, because I hated my 8800 Ultra XXX because it made the whole case just increase in temperatures massively. I dont want to deal with that again and reliability problems.

16. HardwareHeaven

Unfortunately, the temperatures are very high. Id rather not get into it on a forum thread however, we will cover it in our review in the next few days .......

17. sammorris

sammorris New Member

I know it's a bit of a shady area, but just installing the drivers and off, what luck have you had with 3dmark06? A lot of people mention that an HD4850 performs slower than an HD3850, and a 4870 slower than a 4870 in most cases in this title. Yes it's 3dmark, but what if there are real titles out there with poor performance like this?

18. Spyre

Spyre New Member

Ok wheres the evidence that the 48xx cards are slower in 3Dmark 2006? Certainly isnt the case in any online benchmarks I have seen nor my own experience.

19. HardwareHeaven

20. HardwareHeaven

I actually have just received a new bios for Skulltrail and a new driver from nvidia, and ive managed to get 2x280 GTX working on Skulltrail in SLI. have yet to try three but I will later. (performance is killer!)

[​IMG]

EDIT 3 works............ I will reopen this thread.....