4gb RAM = no EAX or surround sound on Audigy Anybody got a workaround?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by DevilX, Jun 15, 2007.

1. DevilX

DevilX New Member

After upgrading to 4GB Ram my Audigy lost Sorround Sound and EAX.
    The audigy have no HW Acceleration and i have only Stereo modus. The front rear and back rear play the same, and the right front and right back too.

I have found a moddet Driver for the X-Fi on planetamd64 but with this driver on the Audigy the Problem be the same.

http://www.planetamd64.com/index.php?showtopic=27037

I hope Somebody can help me and the other Audigy user with lot of ram.

2. Arklon

Arklon Active Member

It's a known issue that pretty much everyone using 4GB of RAM has. The only solution I've seen is to change a memory setting in your BIOS (can't remember which one), but your mobo may not have that ability.

3. ChaosMinionX

ChaosMinionX USB 3 dot oh

I believe your talking about "Memory Remap" feature on most enthusiast boards...

As for why 4gbs is making it not work I havent a clue, sounds quite odd.

4. DevilX

DevilX New Member

if memmory remap is activated i have the full 4gb ram and this sound problem,
    if memmory remap is deaktivated i have 2,93gb ram and the sound work

5. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Windows 32bit?

While the motherboard may remap and actually effectly use 4gb of ram, windows 32bit (xp or vista) doesn't fully support over 2.5gb (if you install 3gb, weird or similare issues appear, sometimes having over 2.5gb will result in some pretty negative performance issues right down to weird memory related glitches even though running a memory test will find nothing wrong, it's just 32bit's limits being reached and not properly addressing things)

6. DevilX

DevilX New Member

I use Xp64bit
    The Problem are the Driver :-(

7. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

yeah definitely the driver then.... And being creative, getting support is well.... nill

8. Chaosophy

Chaosophy New Member

It is possible to get it working, as i had the same issue but don't any more. Had 2GB and everyting worked fine, installed another 2GB enabled memory remap to get the full 4GB in BIOS and in Win XP x64 and had the same issue. no mic, no EAX, no surround etc etc. Speaker test all came out left and right speakers.

After a bit of grief I now have it working but to be honest I'm not entirely sure what it was that fixed it.

One thing that is worth a go that I definitely did is...

Download the drivers
    Unzip with winrar/zip
    run ..\SBXF_PCDRV_LB_2_09_0007\Src\Drivers\setup.exe
    Choose....
    (.) Driver installation
    (.) WDM Drivers
    [x] overwrite existing shared Creative audio driver files.

iirc I did that with the latest Vista drivers originaly but then re did it with the Xp x64 ones.

let us know how it goes.

edit: that's for the X-Fi but should be the same for your Audigy.

9. DevilX

DevilX New Member

I will try ist tomorrow, now i must sleep.
    but I think that ist will not work for the audigy. i have tryed this with the moddet 4GB issue driver for the x-fi, and the problem wasn't fixed.

10. DevilX

DevilX New Member

I have tryed your suggestion, but it didn't help.

11. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

Sorry but that just isn't true.

In theory any 32 bit operating system can map and use 4GB of RAM. That's where the limit comes in though. In fact, with the PAE that comes with AMD64 & EMT64 enabled processors you don't even encounter that limit anymore in 32 bit mode.

What we've run into here, folks, is a bug in the NT kernel, which even Vista is based off of. I can run nearly any other O/S (DOS and 16 bit Windows being the exclusions) in 32 bit mode and sucessfully use 1, 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 3.256, 3.457755672163578283787234, 4, 2.4575665 whatever GB of RAM just fine.

Now, some chipsets have the remap feature for legacy compatibility. The reason that the H/W accelleration doesn't work I believe is because all the remap does is move the space allocated in memory for PCI devices and the interrupt table, thus why the drivers don't work and all EAX/HW acceleration is lost.

So Judas while your points are somewhat valid (if not explained well) when you're dealing with 32 bit Windows, they are not valid when discussing 32 bit operating systems in gerneral. Also note that Windows 32bit can and will use more than 2GB of RAM effectively in some circumstances, provided that your hardware doesn't have any bugs or limitations that would prevent it from doing so.