5.1 setup - no rear sound with realtek drivers - pls Help!!

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Warpy, Jul 21, 2007.

1. Warpy

Warpy Well-Known Member

hi,

I have a set of Yamaha TSS 15 speakers -It has "Digital in" for both Optical and Coaxial.

I Want to connect the Yamaha amp to the Digital out on the soundcard. Only problem is... I don't know what cable I need to buy! It needs to go from the SPDIF coaxial port on the sound card to my "digital in" on my amp.

Is there a Photo of what one of these cables look like?

I have connected the following:

* Optical S/PDIF connector.
    * All Digital cables from speakers.

I think this is why my rear speakers aren't working in games properly and the realtek control panel. DTS works in DVD movies since its using the optical cable.

what cable goes from the circled ports?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2007
  2. EZero

EZero New Member

From what I've gathered before when I was looking at connecting my PC through optical to my Z-5500 is that digital connections is a stereo connection. The only time when you will get get full 5.1 surround sound is when the stream is encoded by dolby where a 5 channel sound is compressed into a stereo file and upon decompression, will end up as a 5 channel audio stream again.

So what I'm saying is the audio in the movie you watched was most likely encoded this way, and why you had all your speakers working properly. But when you used it for gaming, in your example, CSS, stereo was all that came out of the speakers.

I wish I could link the page with this information but I can't seem to find it again. I do believe I saw it somewhere on wikipedia concerning Dolby audio compression and optical connections.

3. Warpy

Warpy Well-Known Member

I think I am missing the right cable from my SPDIF coaxial port on the sound card to my "digital in" on my amp. Can you link me the correct cable? I think this is why my rear speakers aren't working in games properly and the realtek control panel.

I have connected the following:

* Optical S/PDIF connector.
    * All Digital cables from speakers.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2007
  4. Just Learnin'

Just Learnin' New Member

I have a cheap set of PC 5.1 speakers hooked up to Realtek onboard sound and had to switch the "Rear Speaker" output to "Side Speakers" in the Realtek control panel to get the rear speakers to work. Might want to give it a try.

5. Warpy

Warpy Well-Known Member

I firstly need this cable to connect to the amp... i don't have a cable mate.... I mentioned in my first post :)

6. EZero

EZero New Member

It seems that the cable you're looking for is a S/PDIF cable. Link

[​IMG]

Of course you don't necessarily need to buy a monster cable for that to work :)

One thing I'm curious from your pictures is that it seems like you've already connected an optical cable from your sound card to your speakers. If this is the case, why are you still looking for a S/PDIF cable?

7. Biotech

Biotech Member

Hi,

If you have plugged in the optical you do not need the coaxial. You either plugin the coax or the optical. If you want to use the coaxial connection, I think the preceding post has the right cable.

8. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

9. Warpy

Warpy Well-Known Member

10. INSTG8R

INSTG8R New Member

Does your soundcard have an SPDIF passthru setting? It was always my understanding that you needed to set it to that and allow the external device to do the decoding.

Edit: I just realise those are my Input settings but there are the same settings for output as well

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2007