$500.00 GMC 1984 High Sierra Pickup

Discussion in 'Petrol Heads Forum' started by M0nk3m4n, May 29, 2013.

1. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Well over here your average pick-up ("truck") will have a 2-3 litre 4 cylinder. That gives good enough performance to keep up with cars unladen, and good enough performance to keep up with HGVs with a payload and 3 tonne trailer.

2. M0nk3m4n

M0nk3m4n Active Member

Guys, just to clarify...it's a 305. Not the 350. lol

And yeah, $3.45 USD

3. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

That makes the OTT statement even more hilarious... :rofl:

4. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Does the engine have poor performance despite it's high capacity and its presumably high fuel consumption?

5. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Depending on the particular variation, it's between 125 and 250hp (link). I have no idea on the consumption. I like how they call these 5l behemoths "small block engines". :lol:

6. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

250 would be OTT for a small pick-up. 125 is about right. Either output is really poor for a 5L engine :(

7. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

You guys also need to consider the age and engine technology of the era that this truck was built in. You can't compare this truck's engine to an engine of a truck in today's era. Engine technology has improved dramatically over the last 25+ years that an engine of today with the same capacity will simply be much more fuel efficient and provide more power than an older truck such as the OP's.

Anyways, there's nothing OTT of having a large engine in a small truck. It's what allows a truck with a load on its bed while pulling a trailer to get around those go-slow put-put econoboxes out on the streets and highways. :D

8. Tyrsonswood

One HP per cubic inch would be nice... :cool: Also, this is not a small pickup truck, 125 HP would haul a load of chicken feathers... Maybe.

9. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

The golden ratio these days seems to be 100BHP/L, which is a fair bit more than 1HP/CI.

You'd be surprised at the power to weight ratio you can get away with in heavier vehicles TY. LR Defenders have had 110-125BHP since the popularisation of the turbo diesel engine, and I've seen them pulling some fairly hefty loads. Before that they had 50...

As for chicken feathers, have you ever tried to left a bale of feathers? Not light at all :D

10. Tyrsonswood

I was talking about a vehicle in the age range of this particular truck.... I had an '85 Chevy version of the same truck except mine had the short bed and a non-stock 350 engine. Lets just say it could easily get out of it's own way. :w00t:

Comparing a turbocharged anything to a normally aspirated gasoline engine is like comparing lead to..... well, chicken feathers... ;)

Who in their right mind bales chicken feathers?

11. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Perhaps so, but when it comes down to it, you can choose between a powerful engine with low fuel consumption and weight a powerful engine with high fuel consumption and weight :)

Of course I doubt that particular truck was available with a decent TDI owing to its age. But there were smaller capacity, naturally aspirated petrol engines around back then that would have been more than adequate. OP can only have what's available though, and I guess the fuel consumption is part of why it was so cheap.

I guess if you were in the business of making feather-stuffed pillows or something, you might want to transport them in a space-efficient format. But that's just a guess, I honestly have no idea who buys feather bales.

12. Tyrsonswood

My '85 got 8 miles per gallon... He's got to be getting better than that.

13. M0nk3m4n

M0nk3m4n Active Member

This one puts out somewhere around 150 hp. Well it would if it was brand new. Probly 125-150 hp. And it seems to be in really good shape. Compression's about 170. We were pretty impressed. :b It's not too much, but the way this truck is geared, it's more than enough. Not to mention, it gets about 15 mpg (been testing it when we fill it up) and 12-13 in town.

14. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

15MPG from a 5L is actually surprisingly good. It'd still be enough to put me off using it basically at all in the UK. Fuel's £1.40/L here now ($8.32/US-Gallon).

15. M0nk3m4n

M0nk3m4n Active Member

Yeah it's unusually good. It makes us think that the 30-odd thousand miles on the odometer is the actual amount, rather than 130,000.

And wow, that's a crazy high price. I knew it was a lot higher in Europe, but I didn't know how much. Er...hang in there?