56k here and there

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by thompsonUSN, Jul 14, 2003.

1. thompsonUSN

thompsonUSN New Member

Hey, new to this site, was recommended highly by a very intelligent computer salesman from Fry's :), anywho, i'm obviously in the military, and i move so much all i have time to set up is a quick 56k, but since i just scored a 128mb radeon 9800 w/ 2800+ athelon, im ready to get back into games when i have time, just curious to see if anybody has any bright ideas for some online games that might work with the dreaded 56k

thanks for replies

later,

thompsonUSN

2. NaumoJR

NaumoJR Paranoid Android

Well, you can play a lot of games with dial-up, but you probably won't enjoy most of them.:sigh: When I had dial-up I played a lot of Couter-Strike, and other Half-Life mods online.

Hope you find something...:)

3. EmXtrix

EmXtrix New Member

You can play online chess.... maybe.... ;)

4. BWX

BWX get out and ride

I predict the next person to sign up for contest to be. (drumroll please) EmXtrix!!:duh: lol

edit*-- I was right!!

5. Roadee

Roadee Never forgotten

just pretty much stay away from first person shooter games......the broadband guys will get you everytime you should find comfort playing games like Red Alert 2, Yuri's Revenge, Command and Conquer Generals.........things like that. They are easy enough to play online. Hope it helps!!

6. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Soldier of Fortune 2 has pretty good anti-lag and anti latency code built in- Sometimes 56k'ers have an advantage. You just have to find a server that doesn't mind people w/ 300 to 400 pings- You also have to set up your network setting in the game and you can get pretty ok performance. Things like /rate 2500 in the console will set the game for dialup- There are ways to do it.

7. losingstreak

losingstreak New Member

Warcraft III ROC or TFT are known to be pretty 56k friendly, custom games on battle.net take forever to load tho.

8. Uzer

Uzer New Member

I 'suffer' from 56k connection, usually 33k, in games myself. Try the 'Delta Force' series. I have played 'Delta Force: Task Force Dagger' in Co-op mode and have found it runs reasonably well. Tried the new one, 'Black Hawk down', and that was ok, then again there where only 2 other peeps on the map. :rolleyes:

9. mbeeston

mbeeston New Member

i got 56k.. and i play alot of half life and tribes 1/2 , red faction too.. though that takes getting used too.. tribes is even better for 56k them hl is.. i kicked ass on a 14.4! (long story... not talking about it)

10. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

Being that you're in the military, I'm not sure whether military-based war games will interest you or not. If, however, they do, you should check out a couple of games from nFusion:

Deadly Dozen:pacific Theater and

Line of Sight: Vietnam

Both of these games are reasonably priced and the online experience with 56K users has been overwhelmingly good.

They also provide CoOP, CTF, Mission-Based and others.

More info here: http://www.n-fusion.com/nFusion/latestnews.html