5870 #2 monitor Flickers on DE-Clock cycles

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by johnniedoo, Mar 6, 2010.

1. johnniedoo

johnniedoo New Member

I have a problem with the gpu 2 monitor mode I cant get rid of. i have the new eah5870 in extended desktop and the auto 2D/3D profile they build into this is making my monitor nuts. everytime it cycles i get a serious jump,flicker, noise , whatever it is called which means everytime i watch a movie, lucky i only do that on one monitor but the monitor i try to play a game on or maybe workon is unwatchable to me. I dont know how to make it go away. i got rid of the asus gamer and smart doctor in favor of riva tuner and msi afterburner 1.4.2 for fan control mostly just about all i do is make sure the fan is low,as low is possible to keep the temp stable,
    I am using hdmi for a connection to the main monitor and dvi to the acer 20" monitor #2. I dont know why it would create so much noise just changing. it does not do that on either monitor in single monitor set up and it does on both when 2 monitors hooked up and only to the #2 whichever is #2 gets to shake when the clocks go up and back to 600/900.
    If anyone know where to look to find a way to make this go away i would be grateful
    john

2. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

What driver version are you using? I was getting the same thing but am now using the 10.3 Preview [Press] drivers and don't notice it anymore. Also, for me, it only happened when I was overclocking my video card.

Hopefully, the 10.3 drivers will be released soon officially.

NOTE: This post really should have been posted in the Drivers Forum for the OS version you're using.

3. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

Thread moved to proper part of the forums.

4. Cannyone

Cannyone New Member

Personally I have had lots of difficulty running 2 displays on ATI's cards ... it's a driver issue. And I even called up ATI and they were unable to help. So I reluctantly switched back to Nvidia (whom I despise as a company!).

My only suggestion would be to try the drivers that Dyre suggested. And hope that fixes the problem.

5. Dyre Straits

The drivers I'm using are working really very well on my HD 5770. I'm HOPING that ATI/AMD will release the official version shortly. These have been posted over on Rage3D. I don't think I'm violating any rules by posting a link to the thread there. If so, any moderator can pull the link.

8.71.3 Catalyst 10.3 Preview (Press Drivers) - Rage3D Discussion Area

FTR, I just played a few hours of Star Trek Online and then followed that with a session of Freecell. Either and both of these would have caused all kinds of screen flickering with previous versions of drivers. I never once noticed a problem during the recent gaming I've done AND I had both monitors active for tonight's sessions.

6. dipstick

dipstick New Member

Disable all overclocking and it should work fine with two displays. When I had mine any overclocking would cause the clocks to drop too much in 2D for the card to drive dual displays. I can't believe that hasn't been fixed yet tho:(

7. Dyre Straits

I believe it IS fixed in the 10.3 drivers. That's why I've suggested them. I'm overclocking my card via the CCC Overdrive and the flickering is gone. This has been a problem for several months whenever the Overdrive was enabled.

8. johnniedoo

johnniedoo New Member

I had taken all clocking off, no more Asus AI Suite of turbo V, checked in bios and the only thing I had to do was for my GSkill ddr3 1600 to run at 12,800 and I had to manually enter the timings which are all 'stock' but the asus board fails to see them as 1600 for some reason as they were on the qvl. that entry had been seen by the epu which i never used anyway, as overclocked. I dont know if that is it.
    Otherwise, as you noted the thing drops to 2D and throttles back and forth sometimes between 600/900 and 850/1200. I have tried reversing the 2d/3d auto settings and clocked unclocked and declocked speeds but always seem to get the intermittent tearing or flicker in only #2 monitor. as long as it is a flat line on the graph regardless of which speed i have no playability issues. I mostly worry about the amp spikes just blast from abt 2.6A/4.2A to 11.6A/12A on the vccd , vccd 1 boxes in gpuz . the running line graph looks like a fine tooth comb though the volts are stable. I may have noted that before but I dont see the wisdom in whatever software is set up to do that as a default. I went to the safe mode and both monitors lit up from boot and never shuttered once, then noticed they started to do this as soon as the OS got passed the welcome part or the 2 monitor just shut off

9. johnniedoo

johnniedoo New Member

Thanks for the admonishment. i took it here because the asus, amd and other places had it run in the graphic card sections though i can see how it is driver related which makes me feel better. It was addressed as card issue and I sure wouldnt know. I did do a whole search before I made a thread of my own and nothing hit. I used 5870 page flicker for keywords. Since the amd forum I was at right before here discussed hardware issues, as wrong as they may have been, I looked here. Next time I will know better than to go to the manufacturer's forum site and come here first. I posted at the asus forum and out of 100 views no one responded. I never believed it was an rma issue but it appears i got the answer here, or hopefully that is all it is. sounds like it.
    If I knew all this I never would have needed to post the thread. I would have just gotten the 10.3 beta, i am at 10.2 now. No one at any of the 4 , at least, prior forums had either tried or suggested that the 10.3 drivers would help.
    I am happy you were able to provide me with this because it looks like it will , or is , addressed. Other people have rma'd their new cards by now and gotten them back as being in fine shape.
    I wish that amd would at least acknowledge there was some issues. You get neophytes such as myself who search for days just looking for some idea that way dozens of perfectly good pieces of hardware wont be getting shipped back for usless testing on rma's that needent have been issued.