5970 -Do ATi cards use a unique adapter for hdmi audio output?

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by OmegaRED, Jul 15, 2010.

1. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

I recently got a 5970 but it came without any dvi>hdmi adapter. I have an dvi>hdmi adapter from an Nvidia card and a dvi>hdmi cable but neither will enable hdmi audio output, only video.

Do the new ATI cards use a special dvi>hdmi adapter that allows sound? Are the pins different on theirs compared to the ones in computer stores?

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Eh, you mean your card does NOT have a HDMI port?

3. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

I haven't heard of that kind of DVI adapter being included or even used at all since the cards got a regular HDMI connectors. There were some intermittent issues with those adapters anyway back when they were hot items.

I see this type of card usually have a Display Port Mini connector. That's a plausible solution although I have no idea about how common it would be for a Display Port to HDMI adapter to pass through the sound in a standardised fashion, especially considering the DP adapter compatibility issues that has been up. Drop a mail onto the card manufacturer support while waiting to see if someone here has tried it. :oops:

4. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

In my experience NV and ATI dongles are not cross compatible. You would need an ATI one from a 4800 or something like that. (From memory 3000 series and 4000 series dongles were not compatible with each other either... or maybe it was 2000/3000, anyway... best bet is a 4 series dongle)

5. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

All 5970's lack HDMI ports. Of course, I didn't know this when switching from a 5870 which did have it. :x

I do have a display port adapter but no idea what to use it for. I figured that was for multiple monitors and Eyefininity.

6. Trusteft

Hmm, well, I don't really know but I don't see how it is possible to pass audio through the DVI port, even if it is connected to a dongle to HDMI. DVI ports are not supposed to allow audio.

But I would GUESS that there should be something for the DP one.
    If not..wow because I can't understand why the cards don't have HDMI.

7. Stuart_Davidson

Its been possible for a number of years to pass audio through DVI on ATI cards, and some Nvidia. The entire 4000 series allowed this, very few of those had native HDMI ports. The ATI dongles that were provided with almost all of those cards split the A/V signals into the correct path for HDMI.

OmegaRED, what brand of 5970 is it?

Trusteft likes this.
  8. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

sapphire *cough* specs *cough*

9. Stuart_Davidson

Specs list... whats that :D

EDIT: According to the pics of the Sapphire bundles all of their 5970 cards should come with a grey DVI>HDMI dongle. If you dont have one you could try emailing them with your serial and ask them to send one out.

10. Trusteft

That's what I get for being a member of HH. I learn a new thing every day lol.
    Thank you. :lol:

11. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

Got this card used, didn't include the adapters. Lowfat has a 5970 and tested a non ATI adapter and it didn't work while his ATI one did...he's going to mail me one :drool:

12. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Personally i've never gotten the 3000/4000 series cards to work with ANY of the dongles... and i've a crapload of them as well as a number of the cards too.. and if i got SOME of them to work with video... (crap quality).. i still was never able to get the audio to pass.. but i didn't invest much effort into the audio due to 2 reasons.... wanted video first..... and i have a sound system that digitally passes via the realtek (and currently i am not away of ANY TV PERIOD that allows for passthrough pcm/bitstream via the fiber optic port on the back of the tvs to amps.. it's always stereo and nothing more)