62 C cpu!!

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by rushstrike, Jun 25, 2002.

1. rushstrike

rushstrike New Member

Wow my cpu is running at 62C, I have no case ventilation just cpu hs/f. You guys think thats a little bit too hot?? I have thermal grease on my heatsink and it is a volcano 7.

2. Crash Override

Crash Override Banned

what type of thermal conductance paste are you using on the HSF?

3. rushstrike

rushstrike New Member

the crappy thermal paste

I just used the one that came with the heatsink. Do you reccommend that I should go and buy a name brand one?

4. RadeonMAXX

RadeonMAXX Made Man

Re: the crappy thermal paste

Hell yes man, get something like Artic Silver II or III, that stuff works real great. Make sure your HS is attached properly.:p

62c is way to hot, if it gets real hot outside, your CPU is going to fry.
    My Athlon XP is at 39 degrees idle, it's been as low as 32 degrees.

Oh yeah, Thermal paste just plain sucks man.;)

5. JavaFox

JavaFox E Pluribus Unum

The quick and easy answer to your question?

It depends.

If you're running an Athlon, you're good. If you experience no lockups, then you have nothing to worry about.

If you're running a P4, you're not so good. Your CPU is probably throttling.

But... I'd still try to cool it better. It's safe, but every 10 degrees you can cool your CPU (or basically any component), you double its lifespan.

6. brc64

brc64 Zeeky H. Bomb

Wow, I'm surprised people have started yelling at you to call the fire department.. it seems that most people tend to overreact to CPU temperatures because they're used to seeing things in the 30-40 degree range. Even I will admit that 62 is a bit too hot, though. My Celeron usually runs in the 50s whenever my case is closed and that's perfectly fine (don't let anybody tell you otherwise!).

AMD chips can, I believe, go up to 90 before frying. This isn't to say that you should try and find out, but it does mean you don't need to call the fire department ;). If your CPU is running at 62, then there's definitely a problem somewhere. You could probably benefit from some case fans to supplement your CPU fan. Keeping the inside of the case cool can go a long way to keeping the CPU cool. Also be careful with thermal paste.. you want to make sure not to apply too much, or it can act like a insulator (BAD!).

- Me

7. rushstrike

rushstrike New Member

HOt weather

hmm my temperature had crawled back down to 53C now, I guess it was just the hot temperature outside.And radeonmaxx, I know that my HS/F is properly attached!!! :lol:

8. shuki

shuki New Member

man airflow is the key to proper cooling! I'd have a heart attack if I ever saw 60c :eek:

9. iceboy

iceboy New Member

my cpu temp hardly reaches 60 degrees even if i switched off all the fans in my system, leaving only the CPU's fan and GPU (of course).. I can test this because all the other fans are on another Power Supply unit. The temp crawls to 56 and stop there :)

switching back the fans makes it goes back slowly to 42 degrees.. using amd 1800+ on iwill ka-266r btw. maybe you should install another fan at the back, just below the PSU to suck out the heat from the CPU.

10. reno

reno Painlord of Ichor

throttling, thermal paste

Any arctic silver paste is basically a placebo, temps only cool about 2C compared to pads anyway, not enough to warrent the 6 dollar pricetag, not enough to cool a proc from 62C.

You'll know if you're throttling, I tested the throttling feature by taking the HSF off my P4 for a while, it was really interesting! I was in Motherboard Monitor 5 and my temp never went above 47C, it just kept dropping the clockspeed until it was at 128mhz and the temp went down to about 28C (ambient 23C). As soon as I put the HSF back on, back up to 1714mhz, and 38C after about 20 seconds. Really amazing stuff.

11. JavaFox

JavaFox E Pluribus Unum

Re: throttling, thermal paste

I totally agree. Arctic Silver is overpriced, overrated, and A FUCKING BITCH TO CLEAN UP. I use Arctic Alumina and I find it to be far superior. I think the same people that think AS is going to work miracles on their cooling are the ones that think adding RAMsinks to their system RAM is really going to help their overclock.

12. Crash Override

Crash Override Banned

Arctic Alumina heh......that used for attaching ram sinks and gpu HS/Fs its a type of thermal adhesive (why would you call AS a placebo since AA is made by the same company???)....you dont use that for CPUs as it can cause damage when you try to remove the HSF.

Now for RAMsinks they dont help you overclock better but it keeps your ram cooler when using faster timings than what the RAM is made for.

AS III does help keep temps cooler.......a thermal pad is just that........a pad.....it doesnt contain any conductive material. It is more like the insulators people have mentioned......it does keep temps somewhat lower but not much.

Now AS II and AS III have micronized silver in then which makes almost complete contact between the core and the HS/F meaning heat dissipation is greatly increased.

The most common problem where people are lead to believe its a placebo is when they havent applied it correctly......anything not done correctly isnt going to yield the results that you are trying to acheive ;)

13. reno

reno Painlord of Ichor

sa

Crash override, you are just plain dumb.

Arctic Alumina comes in non-adhesive form. There IS an Arctic Silver adhesive, but that's only to be used on vid card ram.

AS3 using microionzed silver...gives you temps maybe...MAYBE 2C lower. I've used it, I've put tons of computers together with plain silicon paste, pads, AS, AA, all sorts of shit. IT DOESN'T REALLY DO JACK!

Thermal pads are heat conductive jellies meant to soften and fill in pits of air betwixt heatsink and processor. That's all it neads to do. AS3, AS2, AS1 do EXACTLY the same thing, except they are messier and fill in those pits slightly better.

My suggestion, use a silicon based paste like AA (I think?) or a quality thermal pad on an intel proc, but first use a fine grain sandpaper to file down the bottom of the heatsink to a smooooooth finish, and if you're brave and have an intel proc, do the same thing to the top...but be VERY careful or you'll file too deeply and ruin your proc. Or, if you have a northwood, slap a chunk of metal on, hold it down with electrical tape and a stick, and don't worry, cause you aint eva gonna burn that byotch out.

Crash Override, don't feed false information to system building newbies...AS is just a thermal conductive, not a save all heat reducer. Next time do some homework.

14. JavaFox

JavaFox E Pluribus Unum

Um... no. *sigh* I am so sick of people pimping AS like it's going to make a big difference

Check out the Arctic Silver website, and you'll see that Arctic Alumina is a thermal compound. Yes, there is an adhesive version, but there is also an adhesive version of Arctic Silver.

AS is messy and overrated. Use Arctic Alumina.

--

Postscript: Reno, I just looked it up and AA does not contain any silicone.