6800GT Will NOT Overclock

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by AMD4Life, May 21, 2005.

1. AMD4Life

AMD4Life -=[DHzer0point Team]=-

OK, I have finally determined that my 6800GT will not overclock stable at all with newer drivers(post 67 series). Does anyone think I could get a better overclock if I were to flash the bios? If so, does anyone have any direct links to some good bios files as well as a good tutorial? BTW my 6800GT's bios version is 5.40.02.15.01 if that helps any...

2. TJ-

TJ- New Member

thats the same bios as mine (6800GT) i have no OC trouble... what oc app are you using...?

3. AMD4Life

I've tried Coolbits as well as RivaTuner, but RivaTuner is a bit more stable. But either way with newer drivers, I just cannot get my card past 370MHz at the core and remain stable in benchmarks and games.

4. TJ-

TJ- New Member

yea, well i can get up to 400/1070 but get the snowy effect in 3dmark. Even if i go down to 370 its still there a bit. But in games its normal. I dont even overclock my card anymore because i can play all the latest games at good detail, so should you. 6800GT's are like one of the best cards on the market, really no need to overclock IMO...

What brand is it...?

5. Drakon

Drakon New Member

eVGA. It's in his/her sig ;)

@ AMD. Are you using the stock heatsink? Usually you can obtain a higher OC by getting a better cooler for the card.

6. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

There is a new bios for your card floating around but I would advise you to stay away from it. What are you temps @ idle & load for the card? How old is your GT? I've read around that some folks with newer cards seem to have problems hitting the magic 400 mark. It also very well could be your PSU is stressing out /w your system. What is the amperage on the 12v line?

7. AMD4Life

Using the Zalman VF700-CU VGA Cooler, My card Idles @ 45C and Loads out around 52C. I got my 6800GT around the beginning of December. My +12v rail has an ameperage of 34A. I have heard of many people having luck flashing their GT with Ultra bios, essentially turning their card into an Ultra. Do you guys think I should give it a try?

8. AMD4Life

With my 6800GT overclocking causes MAJOR lockups. It's not a problem of the card being slow, rather me being greeedy and wanting to get more out of it. :evil:

9. mike2h

mike2h New Member

i absolutley would not flash it. you would have a very good chance of destroying your card. either right away or a couple of months down the road.
    have you tried going back to 67 series & ocing to see what happens?

10. AMD4Life

Yes, I've tried going back to 67.66 and it will allow my card to OC pretty well. Just tried it and it just ran through 3dMark '05 with no lockups or artifacts @ 404/1100. Problem is, the benchmark score goes down significantly with older drivers, making a comparison between drivers hard to do. I will go and see how much more I can push my card with this driver.

11. mike2h

mike2h New Member

if you get better performance with a lower oc with newer drivers seems like a no brainer.
    i think this confirms something i have suspected for quite a while, nvidias increased performance in newer driver sets does have a penalty. they are somehow increasing hardware perf in their driver sets without it showing up as an oc. or maybe they have just fine tuned the drivers so they are making full use of the hardware resources available. either way it is having the same effect.
    while i can still oc to slightly higher than ultra speeds i can not get anywhere near the 420+/1150+ i used to get. seems like some cards take a bigger hit than others. i am sure this due to overall quality of parts & silicone.
    sorry that does not help you. & considering the cooler you are using, doubt if there is much help for you unless nv can/decides to 'fix' the problem.

12. AMD4Life

Yeah, but with these DHZP 67.66 drivers, I just went a full hour in CS: Source with no lockups OCed to 400/1100. I was never able to do this before. Maybe installing the drivers in safe mode made a difference? I will try the same with the 73.00 set and see. I also re-applied some Arctic Silver 5 on my 6800GT's Core but a thinner layer than before. The same with my CPU, which Idles @ 29C and just after playing CS:S all that time went up to 35C with my motherboard's 5/4/2005 Bios.

13. mike2h

mike2h New Member

give the as a few days to 'cure'. might take a look at your case ventilation too.
    a good, stable oc requires very good case ventilation.

14. AMD4Life

73.00 drivers are a no go... they are worse off on my card than the 67.66 @ 400/1100. I am seriously considering flashing my card to the earliest bios available, since it seems people with older cards get better overclocks...

15. AMD4Life

After a long weekend of trial and error, research, re-aligning heatsinks, re-applying thermal pastes, bios modding, and overclocking, I have finally got my 6800"GT" to get over 370/1150 stable. WAY over. After finding out that alot of people have success with flashing their 6800GTs with Ultra bios, I decided to give it a try myself. Using the NVflash utility, I flashed my 6800GT with the earliest eVGA 6800 Ultra bios I could find, version 5.40.02.10.04. I was then able to get my meager overclocking 6800GT past 6800 Ultra clocks, to 415/1190 with the stock 73.00 ForceWare Drivers and the machine is stable as hell. I also disable fastwrites and sideband addressing. So now, I have a meager overclocking 6800Ultra instead of a meager overclocking 6800GT. Isn't life sweet? Hopefully, once this card gets "used" to these clocks and burns in, I will be able to push it a little more.

16. mike2h

mike2h New Member

hopefully you wont be part of the other group of people who have had their cards damaged after a few monts of using an ultra bios. good luck.

17. AMD4Life

I pray I don't. :hmm:

18. CrapolaJola

CrapolaJola The Great DaK

Didn't read through thread, but I'd assume either your PSU is really quite halfass like most peoples (just cuz its 450-550w doesn't mean it's not a POS) or there's a heat problem. What kinda temps you got and what's your 12v line look like?

19. AMD4Life

My 6800GT idles 47C and loads out about 56C and my 12v line will stay at a pretty stable 11.9-12.09. The 12v line runs @ 34 amps also. Anyways, these clocks (415/1190) are definitely working well for all my games and I think I will just stop here. My original goal was to achieve at LEAST the normal Ultra Clocks of 400/1100. I've exceeded my goal and I love this card even more than when I first got it.

EDIT: Also, Anything above 415 MHz at the core will give me artifacts in 3DMark05. 420 and up will give me crazy artifacting as well as performance slowdowns. I have tried re-seating the heatsink as well as re-applying the thermal paste(AS5) quite a few times, with not one difference in overclocking. Perhaps this is just my card's limit.

Last edited: May 24, 2005