7.5 Catalyst drivers out for Vista discuss and vote here

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by CATALYST maker, May 31, 2007.

?

Please rate the 7.5 Vista drivers

1. 10 - these drivers kick more ass than a gang of octopii wearing boots at an ass kicking convention

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  2. 9

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 8

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
  4. 7

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  5. 6

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  6. 5

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  9. 2

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  10. 10 - Oh dear back to the drawing board please, these drivers should be locked up with Paris Hilton

10 vote(s)
    31.3%
  1. MidnightWatcher

MidnightWatcher New Member

I should probably mention that I have:

Vista Home Premium x64
    Samsung SyncMaster 940BW
    Asus X1950 Pro 256MB
    Using DVI

2. thecaretaker

thecaretaker New Member

I've no real reason to blame the card, it worked fine in XP. Apart from adding an extra 1gig of memory (I now have 4 x 512 - 2 matched pairs) and this was after I did a clean install of Vista Ultimate, my system is exactly the same as my XP set up. All I did was format the hard drive and do a fresh install.

I have not done a full memory test, but prepared to try anything. Can you recommend any perticlular program for this m8?

I have recently encoded a huge 4 hour movie which took around 18 hours with CPU unit working flat out and it didn't have any issues. Vista itself works well it's rock solid with everything else I throw at it.

It's just all these demos that won't work anymore, OpenGL errors/performance and crossfire not working. I'm even happy to forget the crossfire issue (never really noticed enough difference to be honest) If only the card worked half as well as it did on XP I'd be a happy bunny.

Oh, I almost forgot, another card related issue, I've got no component output using the supplied cable in the round hole on the card anymore. I only seem to get a standard TV output from it (on one of the leads). Would I be right in saying that this has been deliberately disabled by Microsoft in Vista and not the card or ATI's fault?

...and this is progress!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2007
  3. Radigan

Radigan New Member

Same problem here, (well, was), its the driver, the new driver has some problems with monitors, I rolled back the driver and the problem was gone.

My set-up:
    AMD Athlon 4400+ x64 Dual Core
    4 GB RAM
    2900 XT 512
    Vista Ultimate

EDIT: Also DVI connection, I got "Digital out of range 27.3 / 30" or something along those lines.

4. MidnightWatcher

MidnightWatcher New Member

What monitor do you have?

5. ombas

ombas New Member

7.5 - markedly dimmer, duller and with a slower response time on desktop than 7.4

arma still does not play at all using 7.5, as it didn't under 7.4

x1900xt, vista ultimate 64, e6600, 4gbs ram

6. Intelman

Intelman New Member

7.5 does make the monitor dimmer and duller more washed out colors. This is extremely annoying, and unacceptable. If the colors are supposed to look like this, then my computer just got a lot sadder.

7. Mad_Murdock

Mad_Murdock New Member

I'm having the same pretty annoying bug with the 7.5s and Vista64. Whenever the 7.5 drivers install, as soon as the screen goes black and then returns, the monitor brightness drops. Kinda like a laptop's monitor drops when you pull the power out and it's running off batteries.

In this case, it's a desktop with a CRT. I installed the 7.5s on the same machine that also boots to XP and Vista32 and I don't get this problem. Only under Vista64. I can reload the 7.4 drivers and all is normal, I can let the WDDM driver load and everything is normal. But the 7.5 drivers will drop brightness as soon as the driver loads.

I've un-install and re-installed every which way I could think of. I've re-checked all the power save options. But I don't see anything that explains the brightness drop. Looks like I'm headed back to the 7.4 drivers, unless someone can tell me how to fix this.

Vista64, X1900XTX, AMD4800+ Abit K8N Ultra, Viewsonic P95F+ monitor

On a side note, I ran my usual benchmarks with Doom3, FEAR, Half-Life2, Supreme Commander and 3dmark06 and didn't have any performance loss (or gain). So for me, it's just a color\brightness loss.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2007
  8. MissileMan

MissileMan New Member

I had the install bug, the brightness reduction and color fade bug, and then when I went into DirectX game I couldn't watch the screen because it was flickering like the old tvs when vertical siync went out. I tried changing refresh, mode, Vsync on/off. Still flickered like no tomorrow. Back to 7.4 and all is well.

Intel D975XBX2, 2 1950 Pro X-Fired, 4 GB RAM, Vista Ultimate 32 and 64.

9. Scoop

Scoop DriverHeaven Alcoholic

Having exactly the same issues here on my 64bit vista. The color adjustments in the ccc just dont work correctly. Screen looks all washed out, ive gone back to 7.4 and all is ok but I would be intrested in a fix...

Kind regards
    Scoop

10. CATALYSTCATCHER

CATALYSTCATCHER ATI Guru

Brightness problems.

There is a control in CCC color tab to set the black and white levels being used.

These options appear below the contrast slider in the color tab. You need to scroll to access the selection.

I find the MCE selection provides normal display brightness in Vista 32. The PC standard options appears, dull, washed out.

Does CCC show "PC Standard" or "MCE" being set as the default? I find the MCE selection provides normal display brightness in Vista 32.

Try toggling the selection.

11. Scoop

Scoop DriverHeaven Alcoholic

That did the trick mate in vista 64. Picture on screen is crisp and clear again.:w00t: :w00t:
    Thanks for the tip.

Kind Regards
    Scoop

12. Mad_Murdock

Mad_Murdock New Member

That makes me anger, I looked at that screen a dozen times and never noticed the options to scroll down. GRRRRR !!

That fixed the problem !!

Is it just a bit toggle in the driver install on why Vista64 went to PC standard and Vista32 went to MCE ?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2007
  13. Spyre

Spyre New Member

Yeah just a messed up registry value on the Vista X64 driver unfortunately, there are a few other issues to resolve with the new black and white levels too, mainly revolving around it not working correctly or at all for crossfire users, but ATI are aware of them and are looking into it.

As for the people not being able to use certain resolutions in this set, I belive thats covered in one of the known issues in the release notes.

14. cuke2u

cuke2u New Member

Hi, I'm using the 7.5 on two systems, one has Vista Ultimate and one has home premium, both are 32bit. However on the Ultimate it ticked PC Standard yet on the home premium it ticked MCE. Seems like a bit of a lottery...
    ChrisC

15. vf-

vf- New Member

The colour issue just isn't Vista X64 specific, it also happens in the 32bit version.
    Just as cuke2u describes. :)

Though thats the least of my worries right now. My biggest gripe since installing the Catalyst 7.5 set on Vista Ultimate 32bit is, its been blue screening my system since they were installed (Or should I say blue screens only at system bootup). Thats with two X1950XTX's, Crossfire checkbox was never checked and as soon as it tries to boot up blue screen loops about page faults. Just before the Vista orb loads.

16. Th3_VVr41th

Th3_VVr41th New Member

7.5's installed fine for me, as always. I did have the annoying color problem which was easily fixed with the "PC Standard" or "MCE" selection.

What I'm REALLY pissed off with is the fact since the 7.2's ... I can NOT play a single game without it stopping/blacking out every 30 seconds, or completely crashing. I'm sure we are all familiar with the "ATIKMDAG.SYS has stopped responding" error.

The ONLY fix I've found for this is ATI Tool, and using it to set the fan speed to 100%. Then and only then can I game without a single problem. Why I need to use a third party program to keep my card running properly is beyond me. ATI can't figure out how to access and control their own hardware in vista? Meanwhile a third party software provider can? Not only is that ridiculous, it's NOT acceptable. ATI has been seriously slacking off, and instead of addressing issues such as this, as well as others, they decide to release yet another "Tweaked" set for people to play with...

I know it's not my card, works perfect under XP. I know it's not my install of vista, since I can duplicate the issue on a fresh install of either vista x32 or x64. I know it's not a hardware conflict, since I've stripped down a system to just the basics, and it still happens. I know it is directly related to the driver, and the thermal state of the GPU since my fan NEVER spins up as the GPU heats up. I also know the card DOESN'T lock up or throw an error if I can keep the GPU temp down enough to not trigger the "switch" in the drivers that control the fan speeds. (Usually around 45c prevents the drivers from "trying" to up the fan speed.. but that is only my experience, yours may differ). I know I'm sick and tired of opening up a ticket with ATI just to have them close it with the repeated generic response of "we are aware of the problem and are working on it".

They have been aware of the issue since the 7.2's, I know, I've been submitting trouble tickets since then, and we are already up to the 7.5's and the same issues still exists.

If ATI wants to "tweak" anything, then ADD the ability to set the fan speed manually under the Graphic options or OVERDRIVE section until the automatic handling of the fan/hardware is FIXED! Maybe they should consult the authors of ATI tool on how to fix it. Then again, since being bought by AMD, this is exactly what people should expect now...

Last edited: Jun 7, 2007
  17. vf-

vf- New Member

Yeah been there Th3_VVr41th, with the display driver stop responding when exiting a game or a complete system lock after exiting a game.

So looks like I had to do a new install of Vista due to these 7.5 drivers. I think its so bad when drivers render your OS incredibly unstable at bootup. Endless blue screen loops, win32k.sys and page faults since installing them. Even when they were uninstalled it had done something so bad to Vista that the same problems were still there.

Now the clean install is working as it should, but I won't be installing 7.5 after all this. So much infuriating troubles with these. Currently using the built in Vista drivers until I know this same problem will not happen again.

I appreciate it takes a lot of time to get working stable drivers, but after 5 months/5 releases and things like this happen, it makes me really wonder. 2 driver releases that blue screen my system and one that causes screen corruption such as 7.4. It feels its getting worse than it is getting better.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2007
  18. SaintyBoy

SaintyBoy New Member

Same here

I have an issue with my CCC. After installing 7.5 CCC keeps crashing. I get the following information:

Description:
    Stopped working

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
    Problem Signature 01: ccc.exe
    Problem Signature 02: 2.0.0.0
    Problem Signature 03: 451d264f
    Problem Signature 04: CLI.Component.Runtime
    Problem Signature 05: 2.0.2693.36852
    Problem Signature 06: 464d0138
    Problem Signature 07: cb
    Problem Signature 08: 6
    Problem Signature 09: System.NullReferenceException
    OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.4
    Locale ID: 1031

Restarting does not correct the problem. It just crashes again almost immediately.

This is a Crossfired X1900 XTX system on a Xpress 3200 chipset (Motherboard A8R32 MVP Deluxe) with an AMD X2 4800+ running Vista Enterprise 64 bit.

Need help plz..

19. Ruby Moon

Ruby Moon New Member

I'm having a problem with the driver. Vista simply doesn't accept it.

My computer:
    [​IMG]
    The problem:
    [​IMG]

I know my PC is old, but I really want to get games running like it used to run. I want at least a higher resolution, but with generic drivers I can't get anything.
    Using Catalyst 7.5 and already tried older versions. Please help me, it's urgent!

20. Randomness

Randomness somewhere in the wired

Hello Ruby Moon, and welcome to DriverHeaven.net

A Code 43 means that "One of the drivers controlling the device notified the operating system that the device failed in some manner"

It sounds like a hardware problem, perhaps from AGP Clock speed timings, or overheating. OR....you may simply need to update your BIOS. Consult AsusTek for your system board's newest BIOS. In this case, it looks like you should look up the newest BIOS for the Asus P4P800-E motherboard.

According to the Asus Support site, your motherboard "P4P800-E Deluxe"'s newest BIOS is version 1009 dated 2005/09/26

There is a newer "beta" BIOS version 1010.001, which may work better, but because it is a beta version, there's a chance it could cause problems.

Aside from that, try to rule out the simple things, like the card being seated properly in the slot, dust, broken fan....etc. Also try a clean install of the Catalyst 7.5 drivers.

To clean install the drivers, goto ati.amd.com, search for "737-1447" or "Catalyst Uninstaller". Run the program, restart your computer and then run the Catalyst 7.5 install program again.

Best of luck, take care.

- Randomness