7.5 Catalyst drivers out for XP discuss and vote here

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by Spyre, May 31, 2007.

?

Please rate the 7.5 XP drivers

1. 10 - I would have sex with these drivers if I could, they are that good (or I am horny I guess)

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  2. 9

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  3. 8

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  4. 7

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  5. 6

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  6. 5

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  10. 1 - UGH !!! I wouldnt have sex with these drivers, even with someone elses reproductive parts

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  1. Spyre

Spyre New Member

Hmmm not a great deal of XP goings on this month, although its worth bearing in mind that not every fix gets mentioned in the release notes (nor every bug)

Second Generation ATI Theater™ 650

This release of Catalyst™ introduces the second generation ATI Theater™ 650. This product will provide support for the new MCE 2006 requirements such as DRM support. Further, it will include features to support ATI All-In-Wonder products. It will also provide improved TV quality and Broadcast Flag support which enables full US terrestrial DTV support.

Performance Improvements

OpenGL performance is improved on the ATI Radeon™ X1950 XTX at high resolutions (1920x1200 or greater) with anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering enabled. Doom 3 and Quake 4 improves as much as 13-18%, and Prey improves at least 15.6%. The ATI Radeon™ X1950 Pro and X1650 XT also sees improvements in Doom 3 and Quake 4 of up to 14.1% at higher resolutions with anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering enabled.

Resolved Issues for the Windows XP Operating System

This section provides information on resolved issues in this release of the ATI Catalyst™ Software Suite for Windows XP. These include:
    • Call of Duty: An error message no longer appears when task switching between the game and the Windows desktop. This issue may also be experienced under the Windows Vista operating system. Further details can be found in topic number 737-26750
    • Just Cause: The game no longer fails to run cinematic at 1600x1200 game resolution on ATI Radeon™ X1200/1250/1270 series of products. Further details can be found in topic number 737-27093
    • Installing an ATI Radeon™ X1900 CrossFire™ Master and X1900 slave under Windows XP no longer results in AA settings failing to be retained when rebooting the system. This issue may also be experienced under the Windows Vista operating system. Further details can be found in topic number 737-25808
    • Uninstalling the graphics drivers no longer results in some of the files and folder failing to be removed in the Program File folder. Further details can be found in topic number 737-23715
    • When operated from the Start Menu->All Programs->Catalyst™ Control Center, the Catalyst™ Control Center no longer fails to display the expected choices Catalyst™ Control Center->Wizard and Catalyst™ Control Center->Advanced on some hardware configurations. Further details can be found in topic number 737-27096

Known Issues Under the Windows XP Operating System

The following section provides a summary of open issues in the latest version of Catalyst™. These include:
    • Armed Assault: Handle count leak maybe noticed during game play in Task Manager. Further details can be found in topic number 737-27467
    • Homeworld 2: The application may fail to run when CrossFire™ is enabled and an Anti-Aliasing setting of greater than 2 is selected on certain ATI Radeon™ X1800 series of products. Further details can be found in topic number 737-27094
    • Neverwinter Nights: Shadows of Undrentide may show dithering corruption on the loading screen(s) with Anisotropic Filtering enabled on certain graphics families. Further details can be found in topic number 737-27095
    • Starwars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords: Setting the in-game display option to low settings may result in corruption being noticed within the game. Further details can be found in topic number 737-25173
    • Enabling CrossFire™ may result in display corruption being noticed when playing a DVD or media clip using either WinDVD 7, Windows Media Player or PowerDVD 6. Further details can be found in topic number 737-22806
    • Catalyst™ Control Center->Overdrive™: The OverDrive™ setting are not retained for individual accounts. This issue may also be experienced under the Windows Vista operating system. Further details can be found in topic number 737-25805
    • Launching the release notes under the Japanese or Chinese version of Windows may result in the release notes displaying a blank page. This issue may also be experienced under the Windows Vista operating system. Further details can be found in topic number 737-26749. Planned Release 8.39
    • Some pixilated corruption may be observed while running the game Prey while hovering over the health packs from a distance on some hardware configurations running Win XP. Further details can be found in topic number 737-27091
    • The system may become unresponsive and require a reboot while randomly moving Video Player window from primary to extended desktop under certain hardware configurations where the second adapter is an ATI Radeon™ X1200/1250/1270 series of product. Further details can be found in topic number 737-27092. Planned Release 8.38
    • Connecting two display devices to an ATI Radeon™ X1600 series product may result in the device manager failing to detect the secondary display device. Further information may be found in topic number 737-21266
    • Corruption may be noticed when playing certain DVD titles when hardware acceleration is enabled on ATI Radeon™ HD 2900 XT product. Further details can be found in topic number 737-27624

2. Lemonzest

Lemonzest New Member

Still Broken Particles in Quake2 based games :(

3. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

omg..... love the number 10 option! rotfl....

gaud i'm killing myself laughing here.....

omfg it hurts...

edit: er, i didn't mean "love" literally either.....

4. TB_

TB_ New Member

Another dud set.... sigh.

5. HolyAvenger

HolyAvenger New Member

They forgot to mention the biggest change: Will no longer install on Windows 2000 (mind you, I'm not talking about official support, which has been gone since 6.6, but up to 7.4 they worked fine regardless)

6. X1800XTTOP

X1800XTTOP New Member

Installed these on my HD2900 - yet to notice anything diffrent. Glad to see the ArmA bug is finally in the release notes. :)

The only bug that is bothering me is the source fog issues, wich are being worked on i think.

7. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I am ROYALLY TICKED OFF OVER THIS NEW STEAM CLIENT configuration/installation!!!

I've had several STEAM games with my account and for a few years now. Half Life, Half Life 2, Half Life 2 Episode One.....and others.

However, after letting this new ATI/AMD 7.5 version install the new STEAM Client, ALL OF MY GAMES ARE NOW INVALID and NOT AVAILABLE.

Not only that, but, by selecting to install the STEAM client with these drivers, STEAM took precedent over the video drivers and, since I'd uninstalled my video drivers there was no ATI qualified video card to find. SO, STEAM then tells me my system doesn't qualify for the freebies....which I'd already had for a LONG TIME prior to this fiasco.

So, this installation needs to be tweaked and maybe the STEAM client needs to be a totally separated installation AFTER the video drivers are in place.

Unless I can restore my previous STEAM configuration, I'm S-O-O-L!!!

Anyone else in this same boat?

EDIT: OK, I got things sorted out.

However, this Steam Client installation needs to be tweaked so that STEAM doesn't try to install prior to a Reboot AFTER the video card is installed.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2007
  8. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

I just got notification that the steam client that comes with drivers can't be installed :D so I just canceled it. :D

9. Zeatrix

Zeatrix New Member

Why in the world would you opt to install Steam if you ALLREADY have it installed. It makes no sense... :|

10. Dyre Straits

It is/was my understanding that this is a special Steam client that checks that you have an ATI card installed. It's that simple.

Besides that, I also provide some help for others and need to know how the installation is working....or if it's not working right.

11. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

It seems that it's just normal Steam Client. I think that the normal client can see what card you have installed and unlocks the games. :)

12. Dyre Straits

Regardless, if ATI/AMD decides to include something like this in the complete installation package, it should work RIGHT. The Steam [or whatever other app is included] shouldn't pop up and take priority over the driver installation as it did in my case.

I'm still waiting to find out if anyone else had this experience.

13. Dark79

Dark79 New Member

Was running 7.3 Cats (after being very disappointed with the 7.4's) prior to installing these. After installing 7.5 Cat's I can no longer enable Crossfire where it always worked before. What's going on?

Rolled back to 7.4 and was able to enable crossfire again, but OpenGL games crashed 30 secs after launching.

Back to 7.3 and all is well again.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2007
  14. Matth

Matth Flash Banner Hater

Maybe I'll take the steam client for the free games, or maybe I won't, but I guess I'll skip this and see it precedence and options are sorted out by the next release - and please, please, please can we have an ATI- affilited/branded version od Steam that we download seperatly if and when we choose to, rather than this crazy bundling.

Actually, from here http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/xp/previous/radeon/radeonxip-cat75-xp.html - the component downloads come to 31.4MB - or 27.4 if you don't need the WDM component (AIW/Vivo support).

The main release is 39.9MB - the difference probably being the steam client, and most likely NO economy in bundling them.

15. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

I agree with you. So it seems that ATI have more issues to fix in that installer.

16. X1800XTTOP

X1800XTTOP New Member

I just used this link;
    http://www.steampowered.com/ati_offer1a/

English doesnt seem to work, but get it through the german site - worked wonders for me. I dont understand german but i managed so i think you guys should aswell (click jetzt anmelden) :)

17. RoyBatty

RoyBatty Well-Known Member

The Steam client is integrated in the driver package (I'm talking about the "display driver only")? I don't see anything Steam-related in the release notes.

18. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

Is you dl the whole CCC suite you get steam. and it's just normal client. But ATI needs to fix the way how it is installed. If you have already steam on your pc it shouldn't be installed.

19. RoyBatty

RoyBatty Well-Known Member

Ok. I downloaded the driver and the Steam is not there, just "Free games offer" and "Earthsim" (?). I thought that the Steam is included because the installer file is 4 MB larger than the 7.4 - I guess it's the R600 stuff then :)

20. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

The Free games offer is the steam ;)
    Earthsim is program that simulates earths changes over the years of time. If you pay for it.