700r4

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by pr0digal jenius, Jul 26, 2005.

1. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

OK, I know there are a few gear junkies around DH. So I am here for a bit of help.

Howmuch $$ am I looking at to get a 700R4 transmission rebuilt?

After that...where should I look to get a new fuel tank? Is that something Napa or Advance Autoparts would have, or am I expecting too much?

2. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Well-Known Member

i have no idea about what the price of getting a tranny rebuilt is.

if the tank is for your camaro, napa or autozone (dont know about advanced auto, dont have them around me) should be able to order it for you.

3. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

4. toddsmack2k

toddsmack2k It Never.....

I would say $500-$1000. I know that is a broad range but you know shop rates can be very different from place to place. Also I am sure you know the cost depends on the amount of damage done. It may be cheaper to find a tranny at a junkyard with low miles. However I know there is more piece of mind that comes with a rebuilt instead of a junkyard tranny.

For the fuel tank NAPA or Autozone may be able to order one but I would just get one from a local junkyard. It takes very little to drop one and I think would be much cheaper. It should be easy to find as for your model Camaro there are several years to pick from.

The 700R4's are decent transmissions but do not hold up well to high torque and are prone to damage from heat.

5. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

sorry im a bike fanatic not cars but some nice answers already. you getting it sorted now PJ?

6. Duranix

Duranix New Member

i like bikes wayyyyy better, but i know that my parents will NEVER let me ride a bike....

*good tip*

buy a crap car for $50 from a junkyard

do stuff to it so it works.

change the outside to something that looks cool.

take the muffler off, and put a milo tin somewhere on it to make it look big

that way, you have a cool car that makes lots of loud noise, and you probably only paid $200 for it. and face it, theres nowhere where your gonna be pulling 200kph, youll probably be doing 100 max, so you dont need anything THAT good.

7. pr0digal jenius

Financially, yes...time wise, well, I'll know come august the 22nd once school starts.

Anyways, I found a shop here that'll rip mine out, put in a new factory remanufactured(not rebuilt) one in, with a 1 year unlimited mileage warranty for $1650, so i think I'm gunna go that route, and now I just need to get the tank and the heater fixed....and some wiring/stereo issues, and it'll be a car again :lol:
    and then once it's a car we get into interior, wheels, paint, tint jobs, etc and we make it a "toy" ;)

8. HardwareHeaven

As much as I hate to admit that, you have more than a good argument with that point. Im basically stuck to 70mph in 99% of cases on a bike capable of almost 3 times the speed.

9. HardwareHeaven

Take some pictures, although I said I prefer bikes, I like modded cars or extremely fast ones (but they tend to cost hundreds of thousands so you rarely see them).

10. Stop It

Stop It HHs' Resident Kitty Lover

Indeed, get some pics up, I like a good car restoration, especially if they rock :)

11. pr0digal jenius

will do...it'll take me a while, but I'm hoping for an awesome finished product.

Metal fleck blue paint, mirror tint windows, chrome wheels(18"), side exit exhaust(chrome tipped, dumped out right before the rear wheel), black interior with blue accents, audio bahn speaker system (2 6x9's, 2 6x4's, and possibly 2 8" subs) with a panasonic mp3/wma/CD head unit (i get a hell of a stereo discount at work ;)), 2" cowl induction hood, and a vanity license plate that says "w00t"...just for laughs :rofl:

Hopefully it'll be a 3 year project, but it may take longer...we'll see. tranny and heater and stereo will be done by this summer tho...tranny and heater by Xmas

12. pr0digal jenius

Yes...but in a car with straight pipes you can HEAR the horsepower, even just at an idle...and in a car with a 350 bored out .30 over, the whole chassis torques to the left when you rev it up at a red light...so all is not lost by the retardedly low speed limits. And I also enjoy accelleration far more then top speed, and it's far more practical in a public environment

13. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Well-Known Member

i can agree with that. you can hear my vette idleing at about 200 feet away easily. not to mention, if you pop that thing into nertural and rev it, the entire car starts shakeing because of the power. and to think.... my feet sit less then 6 inches from ~300hp.

its such an awsome thing to know that just by turning your car on, you can hear the power from all over, and of course every has to turn and look in your direction.