7900GTX in SLI worth the $$$?

Discussion in 'NVIDIA Graphics Cards' started by cwick, Jul 28, 2006.

1. cwick

cwick New Member

I just put together a new rig and am pretty happy with the performance (I can run GR:AW on high settings @ 60-70 fps) but want to be able to play the latest games a few months from now with the same hardware. I know that nVidia will be releasing new GFX cards featuring the GX80 core in the fall but those can only be used on systems that are only directx 10 compatible. I hope to put together a new system based on vista and the AMD 4x4 or 8x8 architecture next spring/summer. So my question is would it be worth it to buy another GFX card or should I wait until my next build?

2. Alien1

Alien1 Banned

What makes you think that your current system can not take a G80 core or DX10 hardware

It can be installed and play fine with what you have

3. dipstick

dipstick New Member

If you are happy with your rig then wait for the new DX10 cards. You will be able to use them in your current setup with no issues.

4. lightsource

lightsource New Member

I agree.

Besides, what monitor do you have?

I have come to the conclusion that SLi with top of the line cards can only get better by raising the resolution.

If you have 1280x1024 max monitor (i.e. 17/19" LCD) I don't think there's any use getting SLi. So 2x 7800GTX's = 1600x1200 (IMO). Otherwise I think you should do as dipstick said and if you want to spend some money get either a DX10 card or... Conroe :) $200 CPU, $150MOBO, $200 RAM = ~$550, 7800GTX = ~$350. +$200 for basically... A top of the line PC. That would seem the smart thing to do. IMO.

5. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

I'd wait for something better. Your comp is already powerful enough to max out any game so wait till the next generation from Nvidia . If anything, sell your 7900GTX and buy a 7950GX2 that would hold you over till you decide to get something better.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2006
  6. cwick

cwick New Member

Thanks for the replies. I will wait since I only run my games in 1028x780 usually. I'll wait till the next gen games come before I get a next gen card. It will be a few months before they come out and by then the new cards might have gone down in price. I'll wait until spring before I start replacing my mobo and cpu. By then AMD will have responded to Conroe with thier own new chip or the 4x4 architecture.