8.9 Drivers for AGP

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by Poppi, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Poppi

Poppi DH Admirer

Looks like this is turning into a monthly bitch and moan session for updated AGP drivers, but appears justified.

1) These drivers are not needing certification from Microsoft, so logically should be out first before the version for the certified 8.9s

2) These 8.9 certified drivers came out the same day as Crysis WH, so one could conclude there were some optimizations for the game.

3) I cannot see, with a beautifully engineered product like the 3850 AGP, that ATI is not promoting their service to all of their customers. I don't care of it's the 3rd parties who are responsible. Everyone knows they cut and paste ATI's AGP drivers. Or maybe it's a coincidence they come out with new AGP drivers the same day as ATI.

4) ATI did release AGP drivers one time the same day the "official " ones were released. Why not all the time?

I've already built one system with all Nvidia parts. Will this be the norm. for me from now on? God Damn it...this is staring to get really irritating.

2. Nirkon

Nirkon New Member

Well, on the official ATI forums someone said this:

http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&questionID=31542

Although the drivers are stated as the 8.8 AGP drivers, they are said to actually be the 8.9 AGP Hotfix drivers for Hd2000 and HD3000 series.

I haven't tried them myself, although I will be installing a hd2600 pro agp 512 on a friends computer on friday.

It also says "Modified: 9/17/2008" on that page, so I guess whoever said it wasn't lying.

edit:
    lol anyone noticed my join date? yup.. first post since 2 years ago XD

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  3. Bodhammer

Bodhammer New Member

I installed the stock (non-hotifx) 8-9_xp32_dd_ccc_wdm_enu_68898 drivers last night without issues and everthing seems to be working fine on my Sapphire HD3850 AGP card.

Socket 478 P4 EE 3.4 (Gallatin) at 3.53Ghz (EP-4PCA3+ Intel i875P)
    2GB Ram at 2-3-3-5 207Mhz
    Antec Earthwatts 500W
    I have an Antec P160 with plenty of space, two 120mm fans front and back and a Zalman 92mm cooler on my CPU.

4. Poppi

Poppi DH Admirer

Link?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
  5. Poppi

Poppi DH Admirer

They're not the 8.9s. I guess you have mis-inforamtion

:rolleyes: They're not the 8.9s. I guess you have misinforamtion

6. Poppi

Poppi DH Admirer

Can anyone tell me why the 2000 and 3000 AGP drivers are always delayed after the new ones are released? I want to write a complaint to AMD so maybe Mama and Papa can get ATI to play fair. Appreciate.

7. Bodhammer

Bodhammer New Member

8. Rosco[CoF]

Rosco[CoF] New Member

I've stuck with the 8.7 AGP Hotfix for a while now and like them. I've read complaints from the PCI-e brothers about the 8.8's so I have not even bothered with them. Sapphire has what they call a 8.9 driver for their HD3850 AGP but I tried to install and all I got was a error on the install telling me the driver could not find supported device, amusing.

I have patience, and I look forward to an AGP 8.9 hotfix when it arrives. But until then, it'll be the next best thing for me which is the 8.7 AGP Hotfix. I'm glad I archive them, it apprears that the ATI site does not make previous versions available, unless I'm overlooking something.

9. Bodhammer

Bodhammer New Member

I did get the device not supported error at first when trying to install without reboots between steps.

Here was the steps I took specifically for the 8.9 stock drivers:

Uninstall using the ATI uninstall from the Windows Control Panel
    Reboot in Safe Mode
    Cancel automatic driver install
    Run Driver Sweeper
    Reboot in normal mode
    Cancel automatic driver install
    Install driver from ATI setup
    Reboot and configure using tool of choice.

10. Rosco[CoF]

Rosco[CoF] New Member

Won't work, know why?
    ATI/AMD does not make a AGP version of the 3800 series video card. The AGP version is something the third party manufacturers such as Sapphire and HIS make. So actually, it's kind of nice that ATI bothers making their driver compatible for the AGP version cards. And that's a far lot better then what nVidia has done for the AGP users. Since their last release was the lowly 7800GS. I know, I had one, my Sapphire HD3850 cleaned its clock and drank its milkshake.

11. Rosco[CoF]

Rosco[CoF] New Member

that's the same way I've been doing it for years, except I use Driver Cleaner Pro 1.5 build 14

12. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

Just to remind you that the DC.Pro is no longer supported and the filters aren't updated so they might not clean well.

13. Rosco[CoF]

Rosco[CoF] New Member

I know. I stick with it because the last time I used Driver Sweeper I had to reinstall XP.

14. Nirkon

Nirkon New Member

I've just joined the ati camp, my friend also, so based on your history with ATI drivers,
    is there any chance of the 8.9 agp hotfix getting out until next monday?

15. CATALYSTCATCHER

CATALYSTCATCHER ATI Guru

AMD Customer Care

The 8.9 AGP hotfix is available at the link. Scroll down to the solution and follow the link to:

AGP Hotfix Driver <<<This link seems to work directly.

You could also search the KB and look for article "31542"

When you mouse over the link the file name will appear in the browser status bar.

You could also search the KB and look for article "31542"

These are the correct file names for the 8.9 versions.

agp-hotfix_xp32_dd_ccc_68572.exe
    agp-hotfix_xp64_dd_ccc_68572.exe
    agp-hotfix_vista32_dd_ccc_68571.exe
    agp-hotfix_vista64_dd_ccc_68571.exe

:-( The text on the KB pages incorrectly indicates 8.8 :-( I have requested it be fixed.

Sorry for the confusion.

BTW:This driver is simply an uncertified version of the catalyst 8.9 driver. It has been tested but not completely when it comes to newer AGP variants. Otherwise Catalyst 8.9 and the hotfix have been tested on the pre 2xxx agp parts.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2008
  16. Nirkon

Nirkon New Member

So my first post was correct, that is the same link and it is the 8.9 ones.

17. Robert McClelland

Robert McClelland I'm An Uncle for 2nd time Staff Member

18. CATALYSTCATCHER

CATALYSTCATCHER ATI Guru

Yes. (Sorry I missed that) And the thread was continuing, so I thought I would say it again.

The text has now been updated to indicate 8.9 as the hotfix version.

Thanks

BTW, Catalyst 8-10 and future downloads will include the Catalyst number in the file name to make it much more obvious what version you are getting. Like this:
    8-10agp-hotfix_xp32_dd_ccc_#####.exe

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2008
  19. Rosco[CoF]

Rosco[CoF] New Member

Well, I have the 8.9 AGP Hotfix installed and so far they are fantastic. 74 fps average, 173 fps max for me in F.E.A.R. at 1680x1050 Max settings. That bests the previous favorite 8.7's average 68 fps and a max in the 160's. I'm going to hold onto these for a long time to come now unless something super special comes along.

20. Poppi

Poppi DH Admirer

I appreciate all the attention this thread has brought. What I basically did was add the 3850 AGP... line to the CX_68898 list and installed manually. GPU Z says I have the 8.9s now.

However, to make sure I'm not missing anything, I'm going to uninstall and reinstall the hot fix. Hope I wasn't too harsh, but Stalker CS a Crysis WH want the best drivers. Cheers.