8800GT high temperature..?

Discussion in 'NVIDIA Graphics Cards' started by WillC, Jul 25, 2008.

1. WillC

WillC New Member

Hey, my new 8800GT from EVGA is at a quite high temperature I think, but I don't really know what is normal for it to operate at. Right now, PC Wizard says "GPU Temperature 61C" and "GPU Ambient 50C". I just wanted to know if that was normal, and what I can do more to fix this heating issue.

I bought a new case with a rear, front, and side fan (which is aimed at the GPU) and the front & side fans are intake, and the rear is exhaust. my PSU also has a fan and I assume it would direct the hot air away from the psu (exhaust). So I really have no idea unless there is some application that nVidia released or something else I can do to fix this.

I haven't had any crashes or anything but I really don't want to ruin this card too..:(

Thanks

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Sounds normal.

3. procupine14

procupine14 Why is it Beeping!?!?!

yeah those temps sound right on track for a stock cooler. No problems there! Just amke sure it doesn't go over like 75C or so.....then you may start to have some problems. I don't know what the threshold temps on that card are but I do know that most vid cards are good into the mid-70s

4. jp306

jp306 New Member

I have read the that these cards can hit Hi 80's-90's. The ones with the cheap stock coolers that had their fans speeds set to low from the factory to cut down on the noise especially... Mine hits 60's at load, but I have the MSI one with the Zalman cooler

5. procupine14

procupine14 Why is it Beeping!?!?!

wow :eek:

6. cozumel

cozumel I'm dangerous but cute...

My EVGA 8800GT was one of thos which stupidly had a slow fan speed. I was running in high 80s until I installed a new gfx BIOS to change the default settings. It was either that or use Rivatuner.

7. WillC

WillC New Member

Ok, so if mine does have the stock cooler where it limits the speed.. how could I fix this slow fan speed problem, noise does not matter as long as the case doesn't start shaking or making things fall off my desk.

Is there a program that is safe (won't ruin necessary files, like windows files or something) or does nVidia have one that I could use?

Thanks

8. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Rivatuner, or if you have an EVGA card, then they have a great little utility called EVGA Precision that does that and I prefer it.

9. jp306

jp306 New Member

Or for a more permanent solution you could flash the Video Card BIOS with updated fan speed settings of your choosing, to balance the noise vs cooling.

NiBiTor Util (NVIDIA BIOS Editor)....Always backup your original BIOS if you do this and read up on it first.

10. cozumel

I didn't know about EVGA precision. Looks quite nice program. Nice headsup

Deifinitely the best solution. I flashed (my BIOS ladies, my BIOS) back in January and my card is nice and cool now. The other uoside is that it doesn't use any resources like Rivatuner, EVGA Precision or any other tools.

11. WillC

WillC New Member

Ok, I have flashed my mobo's BIOS before, but where would I get the updated BIOS for my GPU? I would assume its at the nVidia website but I want to make sure I get the right one... Any tips/links that have a good updated list of the BIOS for EVGA 8800GT?

12. cozumel

This is the EVGA link to get EVGA BIOS.

and/or

Visit mvktech.net for Nibitor

Edit: I'm not sure, but I don't think that NiBitor is useable on an 8800. Maybe someone else could confirm that or you should double-check first to stop major problems with your new card.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  13. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

These temps are just fine.

the 8800GT has a thermal threshold temperature of 105C before it causes your machine to shut down.

EDIT:
    for the update page, you will go to the download driver page then navigate to the appropriate section: graphics cards > 8 series > BIOS Updates > "Go" and follow the instructions on how to flash and you're done!

EVGA Precision Utility

hope those help you out ;)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  14. jp306

jp306 New Member

I have used NiBitor to change the fan speeds on a 8800GT, but I had to make a boot disk to flash the card.

1. Save a backup of you current/original BIOS with NiBitor.

2. Edit your fan speeds to the speeds of your choice with NiBitor . I would use rivatuner or a utility like it from your Card manufacturer first to see what works best for you to balance the noise/heat.

3. Save fan settings in NiBitor and make new updated Bios from the original(with changed fans speeds of course)

4. Read this guide on how to flash your Video Card BIOS.
    Beginners Guide: Flashing a Video Card BIOS - PCSTATS.com