8800GTX Crashes (new nVidiot needs help)

Discussion in 'NVIDIA Graphics Cards' started by Rasta Monsta, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Rasta Monsta

Rasta Monsta Just an Average Joe...

Hi all,

I am having CoD2 crashes that shut the comp completely down. I have never experienced this before. . .the odd thing is that the power button is non-responsive for several seconds after the crash.

This screams power supply to me. Agree? PSU is Antec TruPower 2.0 - 550w, probably less than a year old.

TIA,

rasta

2. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

Rasta, I agree that it sounds like psu problem. But I wouldn't count that card out of the calculations just yet. It's one power hungry card...

3. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

what did you do right before the system turned itself off? was the system under idle, light load or heavy load at the time?
    if it was under load at all, then most likely power supply problem and the existing power supply needs replacing or upgrading.

however, if the system turns itself off again, and you won't get anything when you press the computer power-on button,
    then don't keep pressing the power-on button, but try performing a power supply reset instead, then turn on the computer after that.

in other words and my opinion in short: if i have suspected that the problem may has something to do or caused by the power supply, then i would try the existing system with a more powerful power supply asap.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2006
  4. Rasta Monsta

Yes, it crashed under load playing CoD2.

Got one on the way. . .not in time for the long weekend, tho!

;(

5. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

your suspicion is correct. You want to have a PSU that has 700w AND 28a on the 12v rail MINIMUM! At least that's what we at EVGA recommend :p. Also, how many devices do you have plugged into the machine? If you have like 4 HDDs, that also takes a toll on the machine's power consumption.

When i had my 485w enermax noisetaker under a full load (OCing to get that big purple avi back in the day ;)), my machine would just shut off like yours is now. my 485 enermax was the driving force into my purchase of my current OCZ :).

6. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

PSU..

OCZ's PSU's actually completely shutdown when overdraw. The machine shuts down, and the powerbutton never works until you shut the PSU itself OFF for a few seconds and then turn it on.

Had this with crossfire.

7. CDsDontBurn

My enermax did the same thing

8. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

CDs hit it right on the nose. This card is a hog. From what I got out of talking with a tech over at NCIX is that the 8800GTX draws around 220 watts. This is pretty much on par with the article that Anandtech did where they came up with the same numbers.

(Edit: I just remembered something, there was an article that suggested the card draws more power, upwards of 320 watts, however I doubt this as the max it could draw would be 225 watts. That's 75 watts from the PCIE bus, and 2x75 from the 2 6pin PCIE power connectors, so again, I can't see it drawing 320 watts).

Surprised? nVidias philosophy has always been "more power = faster", so no, definatly not surprised.

I hate to say it, but either a new, more powerful PSU is in order, or some sort of dual PSU mod might be the way to go.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2006
    Rasta Monsta likes this.
  9. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

btw, you have a very good component there.
    what is the new power supply that you are buying?

10. CDsDontBurn

w00t w00t~! lol. the EVGA 8800gtx is rated to consume 220w of power. At least that's what i've been told by our product managers.

You can try this Thermaltake 5 1/4in. drive bay PSU to power up that 2nd 8800 gtx that is coming your way. That way you have more dedicated power to just one gfx card that would already be plugged into your standard PSU :). That thermaltake thing is neat cuz it's dedicated to gfx card only, and provides just enough power to keep it working right :). I dunno if TT is the only company who makes it, but that's all i was able to find on newegg at least.

11. Finny

Finny New Member

Sorry to sound like a know-all, but, you are all wrong.

Rasta check you video card temps (under load) if they are 69-99D you either have a faulty card or broken cooler fan or cracked miss-appled thermal solution.

Worst case is that it might be fried (like my 6mth INNO3D 7900GT @ STOCK w/ stock cooler do to the same thing)

Try re applying thermal paste or install aftermarket cooler or contact you Video card maker.

Hope this helps.

Please look at my topic
    http://www.driverheaven.net/showthread.php?p=991952#post991952

12. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

it will be best if you're right. :)
    but then again if this is my money i say it will be best also to have a new and more powerful power supply for the system like that.
    specially, when you look forward to do a heavy overclocking on the system. and then some headroom to upgrade in the future will be a plus.

one of these power supplies could be best for that...

- EMACS (Zippy) Gaming PSL-6850P(G1) 850W / Gaming PSL-6850P(G1)-PCIE4 850W 12V@ 60A single rail
    - Enermax Galaxy 1000W (EGA1000) / Galaxy 850W (EGA850) - EGA850 - 12V1-12V5@68A / EGA1000 - 12V1-12V5@75A
    - PC Power and Cooling TURBO-COOL 1KW-SR 1000W - 12V@72A single rail

13. CDsDontBurn

yes mr. know-it-all. tell that to the guy who works at EVGA (me).

These cards can easily reach the 90C to 100c temp range (under load). This temp range is still considered normal for the 8800 cards. A video card overheating will cause the card to artifact, stutter, and if too extreme, cause the machine to lock up. If it just shuts down as Rasta has described, it is is PSU issue.

Rasta Monsta likes this.
  14. Rasta Monsta

:lol:

That is too funny, dude. . .I recommend devising a different way to express yourself (for your NEXT five posts)!

Temps are fine, and I doubt an overheating vid card would prevent my power switch from functioning.

Either way, I will find out soon enough. . .I have a quad-rail OCZ 600w PSU on the way.

Thanks for all the comments.

rasta

Last edited: Nov 22, 2006
  15. clicker666

clicker666 New Member

Not to threadjack, but CDs, I'm buying one of your company's 8800GTS cards this week. I figured my Antec 350 w PS wouldn't cut it, so I also ordered a Seasonic S12 650W. Are you familiar with this PS? Do you think it will be adequate?

BTW: This will be my first NVidia card since my GeForce 3 Ti LOL!

16. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

did you reformat you computer after you swapped videocards?

17. Finny

Finny New Member

LOL i just said that to be funny.

Good luck with your DX10 card (i envy you!)

Wish me luck with my shit Too !

18. Rasta Monsta

Um, OK, good luck with your shit!

rasta

PS. . .Tulc, I did not reformat. . .I believe that to be necessary about 2% of the times it is recommended!

19. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

BTW, Rasta, I just noticed you have the Asus P5W DH board. What are the clock rates for the card being reported in Windows when compared to what they should be? Are the GPU and memory timings right? I've noticed that the PEG Link mode option that Asus uses to do mild overclocking with has been giving me a terrible time with my X1950 Pros. One thing you might want to try is turning the PEG Link Mode option in the bios to "Slow". This setting is "supposed to" disable the stupid PEG Link overclocking, but not always. It will if the bios has the support for that card, otherwise it will keep overclocking it (such as in my case).

20. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

Seriously at least reinstall windows. I swapped from an ATI card to an nvidia card twice this month, both times i had the EXACT same issue. I uninstalled drivers, drivercleanered, and removed all mentions of the file in the registry. Still happened. The only way I fixed it was by a new windows installation.