9700 pro crashing :o(

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by ncerniglia, Feb 9, 2003.

1. ncerniglia

ncerniglia New Member

Ok, i got the 9700 pro, i installed directx9 then the cat 3.0 then the cat3.0 control panel. When i run 3dmark2001 it hangs on load screen of test4 and i tried BF1942 and it plays fine for about 1-2 min and sends me back to the desktop. i tried splinter cell demo and it sends me back to desktop and gives me an error. I just got this card becuase i was having problems with my geforce 3. Please Help.

Abit NF7-S Bios 13
    AMD AthlonXP 2700+ Thermaltake Volcano 9 - im running everything at stock speed.
    Corsair XMS 3200 C2 DDR 2x512mb
    Ati Radeon 9700 PRO CAT 3.0
    Onboard Nvidia Soundstorm
    Winxp Temps 34 degrees Celcius idle
    Enermax 430w PSU - Brand new, last PSU went bad about a month ago.

2. David

David Banned

Ok first all id try uping you agp votalge a tad. Also make sure you arnt using the pci slot right under the agp slot. Tell if that helps

3. ncerniglia

ncerniglia New Member

how much should i up the agp voltage by?

Right now im donwloading the ATI DX9 Tech Demos and i tried the car one and it works perfect. Are these tech demos pushing the card at all, like the games do?

4. ToshiroOC

ToshiroOC Unbiased.

10% is within tolerances, so try 1.6-1.7v for upping AGP voltage...

5. ncerniglia

ncerniglia New Member

ok, i upped my agp voltage to 1.6, it was 1.5 before. I was able to actually finish 3dmark2001 SE, with a score of 14,982. I tried it again right after that and it brought me back to the desktop after test 2. So it did make it a little more stable. Should i up the voltage to 1.7? what is to high of a agp voltage?

6. karlotta

karlotta New Member

to high is when it fails and glows. DONT go that high. 1.73 is tops in my book. 1.65 should do it. What do you use to see your voltage? What App/program? then there is the powersupply /clean and steady issue.

Also , very easy, what is your AGP appeture? {64 is stable?} Do you know your case temp?

7. ncerniglia

ncerniglia New Member

Well, i can try 1.7 or 1.65 I was using windbond hardware monitor, but there is a known problem now with the new bios, that it shuts cpu fan off when starting the prog. i used the bios to check it for now. they have a pc health check in it. i have the apeture at 128 mb. if i set it to 64 will that slow my performance? Should i install motherboard monitor 5220? it says it has to install a io driver? try it? By the way i have tried every ATI Tech Demo for DX9 and they all work perfect. Just 3dmark2001 and all my games dont work :eek:(

8. ncerniglia

ncerniglia New Member

I just tried hardware monitor and it didnt turn my cpu fan off anymore. I upped my agp voltage to 1.7v and brought the apeture down to 64mb. The bios wont let me pick 1.55, 1.65,1.75 settings. I tested 3dmark2001 and it worked both times i tested it. I got 15,079 and 14,840, the third time it hung up on test3. hmmm this is definitely making it more stable. what do you think? what else can i do to make it more stable?

The Temp at idle is 34 degrees celcius and after running 3dmark2001 36.50 degrees celcius.

9. karlotta

karlotta New Member

great! not much into the number game.... glad your box is going now!

10. ncerniglia

ncerniglia New Member

i will try playing some games tomarrow, see if my games are stable. But if it crashed on the third test of 3dmark2001, i doubt it is stable enough. I cant think of anything else to make it more stable. I can put agp voltage higher, but that isnt that smart. The cat 3.0 driver is a fresh install. The temp readings are great. Hopefully the games will work for hours and hours without crashing. hopefully, but not likely.:hmm:

11. ncerniglia

ncerniglia New Member

im sorry, not the 3rd test but the third try, it worked fine the first 2 times.

12. WarFlail

WarFlail New Member

Holy crud, ncerniglia! :) How'd you get 3DMark scores of 15000+?! The best I seem to be able to muster out of my system is 14854...

Stability is an issue with my setup as well. Sometimes it will hang - invariably in Hitman 2 unfortunately. I have my AGP and RAM voltages upped by +0.1V but otherwise everything else is default. What is this Aperture Size thing? Mine is set to 128Mb. Should that be changed to something else, and how is it supposed to affect stability?

Regards,

-=W=-

13. ncerniglia

ncerniglia New Member

the 3 scores i got where 14,982 , 15,079 , 14840. The 15,079 was just lucky i think. I think the stability issues arent the graphics card but ineed my motherboard. I rma'd it to GoogleGear and they tested it ok, but they tested it with a 266fsb amd instead of a 333fsb cpu which has problems, it doesnt matter what 333fsb amd it is, it will not work on my board even though the board supports them. I argued with them i they refused to replace it or test it again. I will most likely wait till the end of school and then during summer Rma my board to abit this time, and get a working one from them. Googlegear sucks never buy from them. Does it sound like the new Ati card will come out around summer time? If so i will return this card and use my geforce3 till summer. The 9700 pro doesnt even work stable in my system just like my geforce 3, so whats the point of keeping it now. I put my apeture down to 64, it was a 128mb, and my agp voltage is now 1.7. I dont know if the apeture thing somewhat fixed stability or if it was going from 1.6 to 1.7 voltage. What if i up my cpu voltage. Its at 1.65 - 1.68 right now. The board is wierd, i have to select 1.725 to get the 1.65-1.68 so shoul i try 1.75 ? would that make it more stable. remember this is amd not a P4 so voltage requirement are different.

14. ncerniglia

ncerniglia New Member

Ok, i put the cpu voltage up to 1.75 in bios which really is 1.70v and put my fsb to 165 ( instead of 166) and i just played an entire round of BF1942 for 34 min. then tested 3dmark2001SE 3 times and not one crash. My idle temp is now around 36 degrees celcius and when running bf1942 it was at 39 degrees celcius. it has not passed 39 celcius so far. So i sacraficed 2 degrees celcius and 1 mhz on fsb to get it stable. That is a good choice. The only thing is my 3dmark score went down each time i tested in a row, rebooting brings it back up. I heard that this is a problem with the cat 3.0 drivers or something?:evil:

15. ToshiroOC

ToshiroOC Unbiased.

Well, its just the way Windows works - if you run very intensive programs like 3DMark several times, each time it will perform worse because Windows doesn't clear up everything it left behind in memory, etc... not something to worry about, just reboot during real benchmarking and ignore the varying scores during stress testing...

16. Alpha Male

Alpha Male New Member

I would would say that your system is unstable becuase of your power supply.

The 9700pro needs a lot of juice to run properly, and even though you may have a 300W power supply it proberbly isn't enough.

If you have extra drives in your box and some PCI cards then you definately need a bigger power supply to run the 9700pro stable.

17. DarkFoss

DarkFoss Active Member

Have you checked the smartgart tab ? Are Fast-writes and side-band addressing on?
    If they are you might want to turn off fast-writes in the bios. Also what timings do you have your memory set to ? Too aggressive timings will also cause lock-ups. Setting the agp to 64 is fine ..it's the recommended setting for ati cards no loss of performance.

18. ncerniglia

ncerniglia New Member

Smartgart is aGP8x with Fastwrites Disabled, and Sideband addressing is disabled too. My memory is set to 6-3-3-2. I got the settings/timings from corsairs forum website, these are the official timings of my Corsair 3200 XMS C2 DDR. I used these settings becuase they are what corsair test their memory at. I tried setting them to spd and optimal in bios and they didnt make a difference in stability at 166fsb. So i put them and the recomended timings from corsair. Do you have a recomendation of timings that are better? Are these to aggressive? If i put it to optimal spd or aggressive the way i had it before with lower voltages, it never made it anymore stable then setting them manual. Right now my system is 100% stable at 165fsb x13 and memory is synced, with a cpu voltage of 1.70 to 1.71 and a agp voltage of 1.7. Memory is synced at 330 with the fsb. It would be nice to have it working with 166 fsb instead of 165. I got a question.

Do any of you know when the next ati card the r350 or something is coming out? 1 month? 2 month? 3 month? I can return the 9700 pro and wait 1-2 months for it, but i dont want to wait any longer. You think there will be a big speed improvement over the 9700 pro? Hopefully it will cost the same price as the 9700 pro when the r350 comes out, and the 9700 pro will go down in price. do you tink it will be worth the wait?

19. ncerniglia

ncerniglia New Member

Alpha Male -

i have a brand new enermax 430watt power supply. I had the same graphical problems with my old geforce3 so it isnt the power supply. At least i know how to fix it now and have a stable system.

20. karlotta

karlotta New Member

cool you got it stable! memory is like that..... R350 could be out by mid march? Preorders? ATI likes a month to release thangs so its looking like Aprill :[