9800 pro GPU reset issues....

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by Mayro, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Mayro

Mayro -=[DHzer0point Team]=-

It seems that the more and more games that I try to play, besides CSS, the more and more im finding that these newer games DO NOT LIKE my video card.

Im running a 9800 pro with 128megs of ram not overclocked at all.

Originaly I was running the ATI CCC 5.8 and had NO problems in CSS. I just tried the BOS demo and im getting GPU resets like NUTS at the same places or during the same situations. I would normaly think its the games fault, but other people useing cards other than 9800 pros are not having the problem. Over on the BOS forum people with 9800 pros are getting hammerd with GPU resets.

Im gona try Omegas, but quite frankly, I want to know whats up. I was pissed off at WOW as I thought it was there problem as it was the only game that had these insane GPU resets. Ive now got 4 new games and they ALL have this bloody GPU reset problem. After the 3rd or 4th reset which most of the time occur back to back, the cpu fails or the gpu gets put into software mode.

2. Amerikaner

Amerikaner New Member

Please explain what exact a gpu reset is. I think im getting the same problems w/ the same exact card. I switched from omega 5.7's to the ati 5.8's and ever since ive been getting a black screen and crashing to the desktop (artifacts pop up too) in BF2 mainly and occasionally in bf2. I went back to 5.7's, ran all the right cleanup procedures, didnt work. Then i reformatted and put back on the omega 5.7's, didnt work.

3. savak

savak New Member

no problem with my 9800 pro. Playing starship troopers and fear demo and now playing doom3 and far cry. No problem. Mabye it's your card.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2005
  4. Dirakh

Dirakh New Member

Hi

I got the same problem with demo of Bet on Soldier, everything besides demo works fine. But when I start one mission it just gives me GPU reset, second one works fine. My card is 9600pro.

5. Mayro

A GPU reset occurs when your card stops responding to the commands it is being given. In other words.... Imagine you are playing a game. All of a sudden, it appears that the computer has frozen. **Sometimes** The GPU is able to be reset by the ATI drivers and thus allowing you to continue playing the game. I HAVE YET TO SEE THIS FEATURE WORK!

The GPU reset in BOS I was able to circumvent by lowering the ingame resolution. There are so many reasons why games can die that it isnt worth it trying to get problems like these fixed. Its new hardware time. Where o where are thow R580? lol

6. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Do you have a good PSU? Maybe it isn't getting stable power? Just a thought..

Also try VPU recover set on- and send a report off..

Only problem I ever had like that was a software issue with GTA SA- and doing the above fixed it.. That was with my old 9700pro though.

7. Sanafabich

Sanafabich BANNED

I was thinking the same thing. I have a 9800pro and had to buy a new power supply when installed it (from 400 to 450)

8. Mayro

Im useing a 450W.

9. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

Yep either you card stop responding to commands from the display driver
    or it appears to be. It's called VPU recover, not reset. What it does is prevents
    a hard lock or all out system crash so yes it does exatly what it supposed to
    do. No were does it say its to allow you to keep playing the game....

Try older drivers, try turning of GPU recover, I would check the power supply?,
    latest motherboard bios?, CPU or GPU temps? CPU GPU fan working prprerly
    and dust free? tried formating & reinstalling windows? Have every single
    windows update? Stuff like that....

Power supplies go bad, feed wrong current etc.. you have to test the actuall
    rails with a voltage meter with the system under a hevey strain on the CPU&GPU
    like while looking a bechmark or game...

10. MiDri

MiDri New Member

Check the power connecters on your card, my Saphire Radeon9800 pro burned one of the prongs and I had to get a new wire to run... lol (Had simular problems for a little while.)

11. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

If multiple people with different configurations have this problem with the same game perhaps thats an indication its a driver thing perhaps?

Try an older driver maybe and see if you have luck with that

12. Sh4k3

Sh4k3 New Member

Me too, I got 9800Pro - Demo hang up PC when mission start in Bet on Soldier.
    And yes - I got strong PSU ;) Seems that this demo doesnt like ati cards ;->
    Testing on Cat 5.8

13. Sanafabich

Sanafabich BANNED

so... what happened?

14. FnF

FnF New Member

Hehe, I know the problem with BOS for you :rofl: What are you a lucky man now[​IMG]

I have the same problem with my 9800Pro@XT, and the problem is the ingame settings.
    When you do this:
    Texture Quality: Maximum
    Enable Post-process effects (ENABLED)
    Model Quality Low
    Shader Quality None

With Settings the game should work 100%. The lastest two options are the problem (I think), and I had the lastest two options on another setting, and then it worked fine as well, but I dont know the settings anymore :(

15. refraction

refraction New Member

Ive been having this problem too, only with GTA:SA using the 5.8's on my 9800XT, seems after 30 minutes to an hour playing i get a VPU Recover, altho it was worse on the 5.7's, but if i revert back to the omega 5.6's i have absolutely no trouble at all, i can play it for hours, altho it is slower due to having it in 1280x1024 with AA x2. But it seems very silly how since the last 2 sets of drivers the game has been doing a VPU Recover a lot.

I really hope they fix these in the 5.9's

16. MiDri

MiDri New Member

Running at 392:410 my radeon9800 pro 128mb does fine in everything except BoS, which resets my pc =p (Have to stop overclocking to play BoS.)

17. Sanafabich

Sanafabich BANNED

any news on this subject? My system freeze and goes to a black screen after about 15 minutes of playing FEAR

18. Sanafabich

Sanafabich BANNED

19. Sanafabich

Sanafabich BANNED

20. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Hard to say.