9800 showing artifacts with new motherboard

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by blackenedESP, May 26, 2007.

1. blackenedESP

blackenedESP New Member

I recently put in a new motherboard (A7N8X) and new power supply (Antec SmartPower 2.0 500w). I installed ATI's latest drivers (7.4) and noticed a lot of artifacts. It shows the most when there's a solid background color like black or blue. When I uinstall the drivers and just use the default windows drivers (i guess that's what they are?), I don't see the artifacts anymore but then scrolling and moving around doesn't go smoothly at all. I tried using the Omega drivers (3.8.330), same thing happens. Then I decided to play around with some settings and think I found what's causing it. If I have SmartGart's PCI Read option ON, I get artifacts and smooth scrolling. If I turn it off, the artifacts go away but everything is laggy. Is there anything I can do about that? I was thinking maybe there's some setting on my motherboard that, with the PCI Read on, causes an issue?

2. OneCool

OneCool New Member

Sounds like a major driver issue.

You need to run a drivercleaner for ATi.

I dont think you need the 7.4 driver for that card.I would try the 5.11 or 5.12s.

3. PandaZ3

PandaZ3 Active Member

Also if you have your old PSU, you might try it just to verify the condition still exists, I have heard that a batch of Smart Power 500's have been defective. If it works with your old PSU, RMA the Antec. Antec does have good support.

4. blackenedESP

blackenedESP New Member

I tried the driver cleaner, got rid of everything ATI related, installed the 5.11 drivers, still does the same thing. The old PSU was dead, it wouldn't even turn on, so i can't try that. I don't see why it'd be my new power supply though. If it were defective, wouldn't it affect other things as well, not just my video card?

5. RaveneR

RaveneR New Member

i have this issue with my x1400 that if i set the Texture and Mipmap quality to anything else but High Quality, i will get artifacts...

6. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

If I could ask, you say that your old PSU is dead, and that you have a new motherboard, were both part of the same system? Was there a major issue with the old system that brought about this change in parts? If so, what happened to the old system, and was this video card part of that old system?

The reason I ask is that if your old system was fried, and this video card was part of that system, it's quite possible that more than just those componets you've replaced are also busted. In this case, if your old PSU and motherboard got fried due to a power spike it's quite possible that the RAMDAC, GPU, or the RAM on the video card got damaged.

7. blackenedESP

blackenedESP New Member

Yes, this video card was part of my old system. Everything is the same, just replaced the motherboard and power supply. I'm not exactly sure what happened to the last one. All of a sudden, I would go to turn on my computer and I just got a black screen. My monitor would say it had no input signal. After a bunch of testing, I figured out it was my motherboard (switched with my friend's, everything worked fine then). Then after I got my new motherboard and hooked everything up, I turned it on and it just gave me a little (i guess) power jolt for a split second, then stopped, as if it couldn't do it. I tried my friend's power supply, worked fine. So then I went out and got a new power supply. Hooked that up, then it started up alright. After installing the ATI drivers, that's when I started noticing the problem. But again, i would imagine if the card was physically damaged in anyway that it wouldn't just happen with those drivers installed, i'd see that problem all the time. Or am i mistaken?

8. blackenedESP

blackenedESP New Member

I dug up my old Radeon 7500, works fine. I guess my 9800 got damaged the same way my PSU and/or motherboard did. thanks for the help.