9800Pro killing my monitors?

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by LoPaN, Jul 7, 2004.

1. LoPaN

LoPaN New Member

Hi

Well after using a Sony E400 with my Radeon 9800pro the monitor started to get real bright, black was no longer black it was a washed out grey, it got so bad that even with the brightness on 0 black was like a light grey.
    So thinking the 3 year old Sony had just gone bad I get me a new Samsung monitor, now 2 weeks later im starting to see the same thing happen to this monitor, ive had it 2 weeks and allready its starting to lose blackness, seems I have to keep dropping the brightness ever few days to keep a true black. Even on 0 now its not true black.

Is it the video card doing this? Is there a known problem with the 9800pro?

Thanks

2. Helios_D

Helios_D Banned

What Catalyst driver version are you using? I also had a similar problem and had to replace my 1 & 1/2 year-old monitor.

With the new NEC, however, the problem has not returned. (crosses fingers)

This type of monitor "breakdown" received some spotlight a few months back (online and also in publications like Maximum PC). ATI, however, refuses to admit that it is a problem with their cards or drivers. I suspect, it partially is.

I believe it was one particular Catalyst version that caused this monitor madness. I don't recall what version but the timing was uncanny--as soon as that version was released, the stories of broken monitors began to surface.

With such a coincidence happening across the world, it has to ATI's fault.

Man, thinking about that time is beginning to piss me off again...I'll probably buy nVIDIA's GF 6800GT for my next GPU.

3. apoch003

apoch003 New Member

Refresh rate set too high? Make sure vsync is OFF.

4. LoPaN

LoPaN New Member

Refresh rate is at 100, which is the optimal setting for both the monitors I used at 1280*1024, both were 19" monitors. I got the new monitor exchanged just minutes ago, but im going to RMA the 9800 because im not gonna kill another monitor.
    Oh and my drivers have always been current.