A free spam blocker?

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by Vengeance, Nov 27, 2003.

1. Vengeance

Vengeance New Member

I'm a dumbass :duh: I have signed up for more than a few online contests to win things like a free 9800 Pro, Alienware PC, ABS PC.
    I did it never realizing that these place's were going to turn around and sell my email address :mad: :x
    Now I get I'd say anywhere from 60 to 100 spam emails aday. :sigh:
    I had a program called Spam Buster I got from the Maximum PC CD and it worked great :D But it was only a 30 day trail :(
    I like Outlook Express, I know it. I dont really want to change email programs. I just would like a decent anti spam tool, Thats free ;)
    Thanks...

2. Rayder

Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

Outlook Express (A.K.A. - OE) has a simple spam blocker in it, it's not the most intelligent thing on the planet, but it may help you, especially if you really don't want ot use a different e-mail program.

When you receive an obvious spam e-mail, highlight the spam message (but don't open it), then choose "message" in the top-left corner of OE's window and click "Block Sender". Doing that will immediately delete that message after your confirmation. You will also want to go into the "tools" option and select "Message Rules" and then "Blocked Senders List..." and place checks in the second box on all the blocked spam.

Another safety feature is to select "View" and click "Layout", Uncheck "Show Preview Pane" because some attachments can virus you. That way, you must double click the message before the preview pane opens.

After that, E-mail you have blocked will just immediately delete when you check your mail. :)

Hope that helps ya!

3. Vengeance

Vengeance New Member

Thanks ;)
    I knew about the block sender thing, It works but it's just a pain to have to block each one manually the first time. :sigh:
    But if I have to, I have to.

But something I didn't know about is the "View" and click "Layout", Uncheck "Show Preview Pane" :w00t:
    Thanks a lot for that tip :D

4. tragic

tragic New Member

Hi Vengeance,

what about giving "Mail Washer" a go? Its free and does an excellent job. You see your emails on your server and you can either accept them, delete them or bounce them right back.

Have a LOOK
    :)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2003
  5. Vengeance

Vengeance New Member

Thanks, I'll have to give this a look ;)

6. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

mailwasher

This program has been so successful and rightly so, that the guy has developed a PRO version (linked from the site above). fantastic app, saves so much "spam" downloading, and the blacklist options are very good also.

7. Vengeance

Vengeance New Member

Alright :w00t: This thing works!!! thanks tragic.

8. zerodamage

zerodamage New Member

This could also be a lesson to you. I did the same thing once and learned the hardway. I get over 1000 spam on my yahoo email every day now.
    What you can is make a junk email at like hotmail or yahoo and then just use it for stuff like competitions and what not. That is what I do. Actually, i have one set up now and when it gets too much spam (on my own webhosting account) I will disable it and put up a "frendly" response to those who are sending spam to it. Fun fun!

9. krazy1

krazy1 Live from the Dungeon

Re: mailwasher

I have been on the Beta program for Mailwasher for a while now and I will say it is one of the better apps out there and it will get better for the rest of the world come spring. You will be able to link your Pro version of Mailwasher to a HUGE database of known spam. That way your copy of Mailwasher will know what is spam and what isn't and you can have it delete the spam even before it hits your PC. This add-on won't be free but they tell us it will be very affordable for everyone. I have been using that Database ever since I started the beta program and it is a very welcome added feature to this already AWESOME app...... But don't feel you have to get the Pro verison to get great service. The free one works just as well.... :D

10. Vengeance

Vengeance New Member

I'm loving it so far :w00t: The last 2 times I have signed on have been spam free :D