A new twist for light bulbs that conserve energy

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Iria, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Iria

Iria New Member

Earth Day is bringing brighter prospects for perhaps the most pervasive symbol of the environmental movement: the compact fluorescent bulb.

2. Paradox Enigma

Paradox Enigma Lurker

From the article:

"CFLs are about 75% more efficient than standard bulbs, but consumer adoption has been slow because they cost more ($3 to $10 vs. 25 cents for an incandescent), are slightly larger, turn on a bit more slowly and can give off less light or a bluish tint. But CFLs last about 10 times as long and save up to $50 in energy costs over their life spans."

I must be getting defective CFL's, because frankly, they seem to last even less than incandescents in my house. Perhaps I have dirty power which is killing the ballasts early? Off to Google...

3. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

I was an early adopter and haven't had a single CFL bulb fail unless I killed it myself. I even miss the early cold light CFL's that everyone complained about. Today I can only find warm light CFL's in stores and I want a cold one behind my monitor. I might try some cold LED's there but consumer grade LED's still trail CFL's in efficiency, and cost more.

4. RejZoR

RejZoR New Member

Ppl talk about CFL's like they're some alien tech although they've been around for quiet some time. Ppl just avoided them because they had higher price and they were also quiet large at first. But very low heat generation already gave them some advantage for lighting that has limited wattage for standard wolfram bulbs due to too high heat generated but you needed more light anyway.
    Besides, there are still two types, cool white and warm white "CFL" bulbs.
    You can find them for all 3 major european vendors, GE, Philips and Osram.
    People generally don't like cool white because it's white, but in reality white is brighter than yellow and thus you get even more light with same bulb.
    So far only Philips is labeling them large as "Daywhite" in dark and light blue (with a bit of light green) boxes, mostly Tornado series with "tornado" shaped twisted glass part. Osram is still a bit conservative and only tags them on the top of the boxes (so far).
    So if you want white, look for labels like "cool white" (OSRAM) or "daywhite" (PHILIPS).

5. Matth

Matth Flash Banner Hater

Looking for "Cold" CFL?

Funny, found some in Poundland (UK one-price store), own brand "Pearl", of course, nothing on them SAID that they were cool white, they look well wierd compared to warm white, kind of ghostly.

If a colour temperature (K) is given, a lower temperature is "warm" and higher is "cool"

4000-4200k is "cool white", 3000 or lower is "warm white".

6. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

my father has one of the FIRST CFL's STILL running never shut off running in his basement... it never goes off unless we lose power but that's a rarity...

that's gotta be 6+ years? 7maybe? it's an oldy and still working.. course in the last 2 years it seems to be losing it's brightness a bit.

7. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

We've been running them in our house for over two years now, and the only one I've replaced is a flood light that lights up the driveway at night (it was obviously defective, as it ran for a month. I got a replacement free). I've got one which runs in the basement constantly, and it's yet to give out.

My wife and I were discussing these bulbs the other day, and questioned why everyone doesn't use them. Truely, after the first two days, you can't tell the difference. The light quality on the new bulbs, given you select the right light grade, is exactly the same. The new CFL bulbs are slightly smaller than incandecent bulbs, and if you can find them on sale (in the US at least), you can get them for around $1.00 each (I bought a 3 pack the other day for $3 + tax).

8. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

watch it.... the cheap ones i've seen personally.. have caught fire.... (far to cheap components used)

I've been selling these CFLs for a few months now, ranging from 5watt comparibles all the way up and beyond 500watts (500watt standard = 105watt CFL draw)

If anyone is looking for lights that are technically putting out similare if not exactly the same "color" light, pay attention to the kelvins, anything around 2500-3500K is what your looking for... anything higher then 4000K will start looking Bluer and above 8000K looks white. Below 2500 starts to look more orange and even redish the lower you go.

I'm quite fond of my 5000K 65watt draw (250 watt comparible) CFL that i've had outside in all the weather conditions. It's INSANT on, no waiting, and has no slowed down in +100*F and worked perfectly at below -40*F even. (+30*C all the way down to -40*C and lower