A question for you guys about free games with hardware...

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Stuart_Davidson, May 18, 2010.

1. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

Morning all, quick question or three to start the day... (Feel free to answer as many or as few as you want)

Quite often GFX card manufacturers bundle "free" games with their hardware, is this something you guys appreciate or would you just like to get the card/cables and nothing much else?

Do you guys think its more or less important what is bundled depending on the market segment? For example, Nvidia are bundling Street Fighter 4 with their GT 240 at the moment in some regions. Good choice of game/bundle or not?

Finally, are there any games you would really like to see bundled with a particular level of card... or any types of game you think should never be bundled?

Thoughts and opinions appreciated pls.

2. craig5320

craig5320 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say it sways me or matters either way, what I don't like is when you just get the game in a paper sleeve.

What I've found in the past is that if it's a high profile game I probably already have it.

I think I've seen it done before but it maybe didn't catch on, but a redeemable gift token where you can visit a website and request say one of five titles would be more appealing for me.

3. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I can pretty much echo what Craig has said. It's been ages since I bought any hardware just because of what was...or what was NOT...bundled with it.

Getting what's needed to actually use the new hardware is more important to me.

4. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

I'd prefer an open world game like GTA, Mafia II or FPS .

5. Cow_160483

Cow_160483 HH's only cow moooooo...

Well to be honest i rarely buy a GFX card coz of the game bundled with it, just like craig said most of the time i already have that game. So to answer the first question yes i do appreciate the game but would rather that I get the card and all necessary cables/bundles and nothing much else.
    As for the second question a very big YES it is more important depending on the market segment what the bundle consists of especially for the middle and high end cards. As for the final question i would appreciate a good game that takes advantage of the GFX card's potential like for example Dirt 2 that was bundled with ATi 5*** cards which take advantage of DX11.

6. anonemus

anonemus 80 Plus Certified

^ Exactly my sentiments as Cow's. Just would like to add that I prefer games to be bundled as DVD rather than as coupon as internet connection in my area isn't as fast as the rest of the world

7. Kein

Kein New Member

It's the cheapest way to add value without lowering the price or investing in something else, like cooling, etc. I usually don't care to be honest.

I think it's important what it's bundled if done right, but there are better options at the same MSRP as the GT 240, for example. It's probably attractive to the fanbase that wants to play SF4 on the cheap (or to use on a HTPC and get a freebie), so it makes sense depending on the region.

Personally i'd much prefer them to focus on warranty, build quality and cooling solution, but price is key and i can see why they don't want take that route.

8. paulnlso

paulnlso B-B-B-BANNED

I think I've seen it done before but it maybe didn't catch on, but a redeemable gift token where you can visit a website and request say one of five titles would be more appealing for me.

9. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

A hardware decision should be based on the hardware alone, not "bundled software", game or other. Even two similar cards, with the same model number, from different manufacturers are not the same, different clocks, memory type, component quality, cooling solution, etc. Many "less than savvy" purchasers may buy the lower quality card/brand at a higher price (or the same price as higher quality one) just because it comes with a "free" game.....

These "less than savvy" purchasers I'm speaking of are probably in the majority away from this forum and marketing schemes like this work..... It's just like an "grown-up" version of getting that brand of cereal they hate just because of the cool toy inside. Happens all to frequently........ :(

This type of marketing is not as prevalent with higher end hardware, but quite often the packaging artwork could influence purchases in the same way........ Marketing guys are very sneaky, Ya Know? :rolleyes:

10. crowTrobot

crowTrobot Active Member

If its a downloadable game coupon, they should provide a choice from list. But if it's a specific game, a physical copy would be nice.

11. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

personally i've never bought a gfx card on the basis of what it comes bundled with.
    i look at my needs for speeds, cooling, and price.
    generally i'd just prefer everything cost a little less, rather than them lumping random games in there tbh

oh, and i agree with whoever said ^ that if they do insist on bundling a game, it should absolutely be properly boxed, not just in a little paper sleeve..

12. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

While i appreciate the inclusion of a game..... if the options was there, i would rather see a small savings rather then packing a game in with it.

OR if it's a new technologically advancing peice of hardware that has some clear visible changes and improvement, i've really missed the tech demos that used to be part of the package.

IMO i really don't think the software disc is necessary anymore, yes i know some people don't have the internet, but then again i don't know of ANYONE that doesn't and has any modern computer, specially with one that they've jammed a new retail graphics card into. (or someone that doesn't have it available). So if that is an additional cost and part of the waiting period for a new card, i think that could be cut back on as well.

If anything, modern card should come with a DVI-VGA adapter, video card, a small peice of paper stating a web address to get the latest drivers and installation instructions/specs/so forth.

Right now i've 3 copies of Dirt 2 due to purchasing 3 of the video cards, crossfire owners are giving out copies of dirt 2 to other people. Like i said, while i appreciate it, and that having something like this is great, if it potentially can bring down costs specially for other products, i think some people would prefer to download free tech demos that really showcase the capabilities of the cards vs bundling such games. At best provide a coupon or discount slip of some kind, don't bundle CD games, i'd stick to the downloadable stuff.

Personally I miss the Ruby demos, I miss seeing the tech demos that REALLY push the envelope. I think it could be great if Winamp visualizations could be greated using such things.

It would be i think kinda cool for ALL the ruby demos to be updates and upgraded to the latest and greated and slapped together, each new ruby just to be appended. Turn it into a continious storyline maybe.

Just some of my thoughts on it.

13. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

What I want to see in the box is the card itself and ALL the connectors and adapters. The most idiotic situation one can get in is buying a pair of Radeon cards and a CrossFire motherboard and finding out that there isn't a single CrossFire bridge in any of the boxes, and that happens.

If the manufacturer wants to add something on top of that package, that's nice and might sway me towards a particular model, but good cooling and not having any gotchas on the card, such as underclocked memory, is always more important than the software bundle.

Bundling a game with a lower market segment card is a nice touch, it would make me feel a little warmer around my heart. If I got a game with a card like that and it kept me entertained even for a day or two, it would probably make me glad that I chose that particular GPU or graphics card brand which might affect any future purchases (possibly of some hardware other than graphics cards as well, if the manufacturer also makes motherboards for example).

Still, I think that Craig nailed it on the head when he said that a redeemable coupon which would allow choosing between one of a few titles from a certain publisher would be a good idea. Years ago, I bought a 9800Pro from MSI. It came with an amazing bundle, including three full games, a Ghost Recon game, Morrowind, both AAA titles, and Duke Nukem Manhattan Project. Eventually, I gave Morrowind away to a friend who's an RPG fan and the Ghost Recon is still collecting dust as I tried it once, found it a little cumbersome and gave it up. Of the dozen or more discs that came with that card, I found PowerDVD of most use, so clearly letting a buyer pick his game can be a lot better as even going over the top with the bundle like in this case doesn't necessarily mean you'll get it right (I took the card because the seller gave me a really good deal on it as I bought a lot of relatively high end kit at the time).

14. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

A crossfire Bridge should never be excluded from the box..

I've yet to get a single card without a crossfire bridge that is above a Radeon 5650

those below usually don't.

15. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

As long as they don't cut on the cables (including a vga but not a HDMI cable...), I appreciate any "free" games that come with hardware. The problem is with hardware that is sold for several months or more and they still sell it with that original game that everyone already has it.

Including a too heavy to run it good, game with a budget card, is not winning any points... As long as they don't have an old game or a game that no one wants, I don't have an issue with this. I don't personally care for Street Fighter 4, but I wouldn't mind getting it or have any issue with it. I don't "read" beyond what it is offered.

Sims would be nice. Everything now bundled is either a FPS or a racing game. It makes sense, but more variety would be nice.
    For example, if they release a card in 3 versions, each of which has a different game. So, there is a larger chance whoever buys it, to get a game that he/she doesn't already have. Or, in the other way, it gives one more reason to prefer a specific card bundle over a competitor's, by having a broader selection of games. So, both brands have the game Dirt 2. I am looking for this model of graphics card, but I already have Dirt 2. Company B has another version/bundle of the same card, not with Dirt 2 but with (why not) Street Fighter 4. Sure, I might not care for the specific game, but since the money is the same, I will buy the one with the Street Fighter 4 game, I don't have, than the one with the game I already have.

16. Chaos

Chaos Number Nine

i dont usually care but it was a bonus to get Dirt 2 with my 5850

17. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

Personally id prefer to get Quality hardware from the GFX Card i would buy.

In my opinion id say Free Games is just a bonus.. There is a few companys that bundle free games that can be quite dated and has passed the time.

Im a FPS Fan in general which seems to be the most common Genre that is given out.

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  18. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I would like to add one important thing. For my next graphics card, the most important thing will be LOW NOISE and TEMPS. Any game bundles of course will matter, but only after the above.

19. gascieus

gascieus Under the Crimson Air

Like many have said already, I am rather lackluster about bundled games (and other software too). I prefer receiving a slight discount for not buying a card with bundled game(s) and use that saving to buy a game that I can choose to purchase rather than forcing it down my throat.

But if bundling games do have to occur, then I agree with Craig. I think getting a discount/token coupon code and use it online from a selection of games is a much better alternative. The point is to give users the freedom to choose, not limit them with only a single selection.

20. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

I've never ever thought about it. I've gotten the hardware I wanted.. There have been games included but generally nothing I'd given much thought about. Got Dirt2 with my 5770 though, as a coupon, and it was decent but I didn't even know about that when I bought the card.

So no, I don't really care about it. For me they could rather lower the price instead of including a game. If it's a game I want I'll get it anyway, unless I already have it.

Share the same sentiment as many others though, if there IS a game, please let it be on a CD/DVD. Not that I have any problems downloading things but it still feels more like it's mine if it is.