Acronis True Image Home 10 @ Bjorn3d

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by Vikingod, Mar 31, 2007.

1. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

resize the restore's parttition size while restoring Vista, or change primary slot at the same time and Vista is still a bootable OS after without any additional works by the user, or if you need for a number of different types of the Vista's disk drives other than basic disk,
    then the Ghost for DOS version 8 (Ghost 2003) may not support this.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2007
  2. DudeBoyz

DudeBoyz banned

I'm totally confused by what you just said. :)

I think I need a nap.

3. Vampyromaniac

Vampyromaniac confutatis maledictis

And here, just to show a quick test of making a live image, I did a back-up of my C: drive while I had Outlook open, and the .PST file is locked. I mounted the image afterward as Q:, and did a file compare between the file in the image and the real file. No errors:

[​IMG]

4. DudeBoyz

DudeBoyz banned

Thanks for the image. I don't understand why Windows LOCKS files and refuses to allow them to be read-only for a copy process.

I wonder how Acronis gets around that?

Still, I think it would be safer to just do it off the boot CD, don't you? Better safe then sorry.

5. Vampyromaniac

Vampyromaniac confutatis maledictis

1. No idea
    2. No idea :)
    3. For a home user's C: drive, yes I'd boot the CD since it's not a major hassle. All other drives, I wouldn't bother.
    For servers that need to be up all the time, I don't have any doubts about its integrity. A regularly scheduled automatic live back-up is the way to go.

6. DudeBoyz

DudeBoyz banned

Wicked. If you know of any good deals on the software, please post 'em so geeks like me can check it out, k?

Thanks, mate.

7. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

example of an outdated version of Ghost and Vista problem.

Just a couple of questions, may be you can help me by answering them...

have you ever restored Vista partition image that you have created it to different partition/drive than the original Vista's partition/drive using the Ghost 2003?
    and what about using the Ghost 2003 to restore the Vista's image onto a newly created partition which has its size larger or smaller than the original Vista partition, have you ever tried this?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2007
  8. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

9. GutterPunk

GutterPunk I = Greatest Dood

We have had numerous problems of throwing an image on computers using ghost. About 60% of the time a problem will showup in the first month. We then switched to acronis and now the first problem comes up after 6 months. Nothing compares to hand "building" for installing the os and programs. But acronis has given us much better images than ghost.

10. DudeBoyz

DudeBoyz banned

Historically I have had incredible results with Ghost. It has been the fastest and most reliable imaging tool I have ever used.

However, it may well be that Acronis, while not as fast or efficient, is simply doing a better job in keeping up with the latest configurations.

I do not think Acronis was superior to the actual Ghost product, but the replacement product that Symantec is pushing now does indeed seem a step backwards in terms of reliability.

I'm going to order Acronis. It's on sale at Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16832200003&ATT=32-200-003&CMP=OTC-Froogle

$26.99 + 4.99 shipping.

I'll just burn a bootable CD and use it outside of Windows. It may be slower than the old Ghost, but it is keeping up with the latest hardware and partitioning schemes, and the old Ghost is no longer being updated. Gotta move on, sadly.

Edit: Order placed. Newegg is cool. :)

11. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

Paragon software's Drive Backup - http://www.drive-backup.com/corporate/professional/features.htm - is another very good disk/partition imaging software.
    Paragon has incorporated many good features of its Partition Manager's into this software. however, as of today's version (which is version 8.5) there is still some limitation on its ability to work with the Vista system. the Known issues with this version are:

==============

Program can restore only whole hard disks. In case of several partitions the last one must be aligned to cylinder boundaries (i.e. created by our program).

Note: Only MBR disks are supported. GPT disks support coming soon in the next updates.
    Only Basic disks are supported. Dynamic disks support coming soon in the next updates.

http://www.paragon-software.com/vista

==========================

otherwise, it is the disk imaging software i perfered the most.
    the Paragon software is getting its software fully Vista compatible, then after that i will probably go back to experiment it, again.

note about the type of disks above...
    Master boot record (MBR) disks use the standard BIOS partition table. GUID partition table (GPT) disks use extensible firmware interface (EFI). One advantage of GPT disks is that you can have more than four partitions on each disk. GPT is also required for disks larger than 2 terabytes.
    Dynamic disks: Contains an unlimited number of dynamic volumes that function like the primary partitions used on basic disks. The main difference between basic disks and dynamic disks is that dynamic disks are able to split or share data among two or more dynamic hard disks on a computer.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2007
  12. DudeBoyz

DudeBoyz banned

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

I do user Paragon's Partition Manager (got a free legal license to Paragon Partition Manger 2005) in addition to Partition Magic 8 that I bought at the store. One seems to work where the other does not, and vice-versa.

Never thought to look at another imaging app for the PC though, since Ghost seemed to work so well all these years. But now I'll have Acronis 10 and Ghost, so my bases should be covered.

As for that other partition thingI have had enough work to do over the years dealing with MBR - don't know if I care to move beyond that format any time soon. My brain has limited capacity and I have to put what I do have to a more focused use. :)

13. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

your welcome.
    and just so you know, all of the informations i posted above is/was not strictly for you.

Dyre Straits likes this.
  14. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

Forgive me for reviving this old thread, but, I've got a few questions that I think can be answered fairly quickly.

Having only installed Vista Home Premium 32-bit OEM three weeks ago, I discovered that the slowest device in my Windows Performance Rating is the Samsung SATA drive I installed on. So, today I picked up a new 320 GB SATA 300 drive and I want to put the installed Vista image onto the new drive and then format and use the Samsung drive as storage.

Can the Paragon (Vista Compatible 8.51 30-Day Trial) Version do this?

I await a reply before proceeding.

Thanks!

EDIT: I get to answer my own question. ;)

The answer is a resounding, YES! Got the entire image copied over from a Samsung 160 GB HDD, using +/- 80 GB to a 320 GB Hitachi using the full size of the new HDD. Took 1 hour, 13 minutes to complete.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  15. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

i have not tried the 8.51 version of the Paragon's software, so how you like it so far, Dyre Straits?
    if i can recall, Acronis True Image will have the partition image done in a High compression file more faster and use smaller disk space to store the image file than the Paragon Hard Disk Manager (and Drive Backup, which has about the same program engine for creating/restoring diak/partition image). you may like the True Image more if you have a chance to try its full version.

16. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I actually enjoyed using the Paragon program in this instance. I feel it saved me a lot of headaches getting the OS transferred over to a new HDD. I only got the 30-day trial version and it worked just fine.

I don't think I'll be needing to switch the OS to another HDD anytime soon, so, the program served its purpose.

I think what I'll want next is a way to move Windows over to another motherboard (rendering the previous one null and void) with as little hassle as possible.

I was quite pleased, too, that Microsoft had no problem giving me a quick re-activation of Vista OEM.

17. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

ok thanks Dyre.
    i use this type of program quite often myself, from just for a system backup purpose to disk to disk and partition to partition cloning, and for moving the installed OS from one partition to another partition.

18. Bozzer

Bozzer New Member

I used to ASR in Windows XP prior to using TI. Then someone recommended me True Image. The reason you cannot delete or move certain files is that MS makes the OS idiot proof to stop users messing up their installs by specifying certain privileges on those files. There are far more privileges then "read only" and "archive" but the standard user does not get to mess with them. You can set them with an MSDOS command or by using Powershell. However the system itself at some point has to read those locked files. TI hooks into these commands and API's. Whilst the standard user is prevented from doing so.

So yes, it is possible to do a TRUE image inside windows. In fact XP Pro has the facility built into it (as does Home, but you have to install the front end).

And trust me, TI does work. I have been using for over 2 years now. I have two partitions. One for games and one for general usage. My general usage has Office, Photoshop and Video editing facilities on it. I never install shareware or anything else. It is purely a production environment. However my gaming partition regularly gets refreshed as it gets clogged up with demos and other what nots.

I created two TI images. One straight away after Install (after updates such as IE7, WMP11, etc) and then another after I have installed all the drivers. So whenever my XP partition gets clogged up, I insert my recovery CD and use the relevant image. Within around 10-12 minutes I have a pristine XP partition again, ready to mess up.