Activation Quirk... be warned

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by Alistair, May 23, 2007.

1. Alistair

Alistair Spoos

OK let me start by saying I absolutely love Windows Vista, but I found a flaw in their activation system (big surprise). The basic concept of the activation is that after initial activation your computer can run until X number of changes occur in X months to your hardware. Well there in lies the problem. I haven't changed any internal pieces of hardware. All I've done is plugin and unplug my USB devices god knows how many times and updated device drivers. I'm certain it wasn't my USB devices or I'd have to activate weekly.

I think it all stems from my device driver updates. Normally you won't update your drivers enough to trigger this but as Vista is new with a new driver schema manufacturers are providing lots of driver updates. I update my ATI graphics drivers monthly and pull the latest drivers for everything else off of Windows Update. Well 3 days ago I updated my SATA drivers off Windows Update and then when I rebooted and went to update my Windows Experience rating (4.9... stupid CPU) I looked at the bottom and it said I had 3 days to activate windows.

I figured WTF and went to reactivate... nope refused. Waited a day... nope. Waited another day... nope. So finally I broke down and called Microsoft. I was greeted with an automated machine that I had to speak 9 groups of 6 numbers to. It then tried to activate for me again. This failed as I expected, so I was put on hold for a support agent. A few minutes later I'm greeted by an Indian woman who thankfully didn't have a thick accent so I had little trouble communicating with her. I had to repeat the first six digits to her to verify she had the right call and data on her screen (I guess anyways). She then asked if this was the first activation or not, which I replied it wasn't. She then asked if I had installed it on any other computers, which I truthfully told her I hadn't. She then had me type in 9 sets of 6 numbers to reactivate my system. It took a few seconds to process, but it worked, she wished me a nice day and that was the end of it. In all it took around 5 minutes on the phone, 5 minutes I shouldn't have had to waste.

All I know is Microsoft better patch this if it was indeed device drivers triggering the hardware count. I know for a fact nothing had changed inside of my case.

2. Zelig

Zelig Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've gone through the phone dealy too.

I'm not too sure what caused it, it might have been drivers, although I was changing ram timings at the time as well, that may have caused the activation software to think there was a hardware change.

3. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

when it asks you to do that 9 sets of 6 numbers dont do anything as you said this never works anyway ..

it will ask you ..do nothing

ask you again .. do nothing

then connect you to the woman who will walk you through ... you just get to the woman a lot quicker

4. EcPercy

EcPercy Well-Known Member

Well if this is happening, I hope that it starts popping up on a lot of sites.

I mean if someone were to produce a video on youtube showing how a bunch of driver updates triggers a re-activation... and then digg it... I think someone over at Microsoft may take notice.

Of course with the re-activation process being so painless... They may do nothing.

I wish they would have taken my suggestion. They need to allow you to tie your cd key to your LiveID. Then you could login to a site and deactivate your cd key and reactivate.

5. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

0x8007000D in da house...

I believe I may have a topper.

Updated my bios & wireless drivers tonight on the MB you see to the left.

Bios went fine but the wireless is a whole other story.

Ever since I've installed Vista I've only been able to use drivers released as betas for the RCs back in late 2006. The drivers worked but still I prefer to use the latest if possible. So tonight I download the latest versions, try to update thru Device Manager as suggested by a post in the Asus forums. I kept coming up this error message:

Finally stumble upon a post a guy made saying he had this same issue, and this fixed his problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=823771

Here is where the fun begins.

So follow these steps, but @ 17 I do selective startup w/ the items I had turned off prior. Time for the joy of hate.

Computer reboots to the "Welcome" sign in, I enter my password. On the lower right hand corner of the screen it says this "This copy of Windows Vista is not Genuine" or some thing to that effect. Then the magical Activation menu pops up. I figure it was triggered from me messing around w/ my network drivers, sucks but fine. I try entering my legit key, no go just receive a 0x8007000D error message. I know my internet isn't working so I do the phone method. Choose my country, and dial the number. The automated system asks me for my "Installation ID". No sweat right? Wrong! There is no ID any thing just 9 gray blocks of nothingness!! So here I am w/ a legit copy of Vista trying to fix a windows problem, and it's saying I'm a thief? About this time I'm looking like "Old Yeller" out of my mind with fury. After a couple hours I come upon a post about a similar situation a beta tester had. Which didn't tell me how to fix the problem but I could get in to "Safe Mode". For the heck of it I tried selecting "Load all drivers & services" then rebooted. Problem solved. There were some other items I tried but I'll keep this as short as possible. It appears this can also happen w/ a bad driver install, or certain mounting/burning applications. I'm thrilled I don't have to re-load windows but still what a pain in the ass!

6. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

BTW, guys, you can use your phones keypad to input the numbers. MS setup the system to recognize touch tones.. just in case you're a mute.. or if you have a speech impediment.. like a lisp, stutter, or.. an accent. :p :lol:

Speaking of which (no pun intended), if you hit zero during the initial section of the call (where it asks you language and what not), and zero again right after that, you'll get a rep even faster than doing nothing. ;)

7. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

Why do we even have to suffer activation with the new system?
    that has the validity check?

stupid MS that why I don't buy vista

8. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

an alternative way would be to capture an image of the Windows to a file when it is in good working condition using disk-imaging software that supports Vista likes Acronis True Image 10 Home, Paragon Drive Backup 8.5, with one of these software you could also create an image of the disk drive's MBR/Track 0 and restore it separately if needed. this way you can try and redo the steps where you think it's causing the problems.

9. OOAgent

OOAgent New Member

Same thing happened to me with same update. i called up MS and got it activated again no problem. i also saved the number they gave me to my computer just incase it happens again, so hopefully that number will work if i ever do.

10. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I just had this problem with my windows XP.... I started a new thread under windows XP of course, but I find it very stupid that activation fails so easily.