adding a touchscreen

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by mcdragon2, Dec 17, 2011.

1. mcdragon2

mcdragon2 New Member

hey guys I am looking to add a touchpanel over the monitor on laptop. its a 15.4" 16:10 screen. I was wondering if anyone had done a similar thing even if it was to a regular monitor

2. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

I did an overlay for a client one time with a kit from CycloTouch called the T series. Not bad for a couple hundred bucks. Just stay away from the R series. R stands for resistive, and if you know the term in conjunction with Tablets you'll realize it's going to be crap. It's also the cheapest from them as it only allows for single touch. The C, T, and U series are all infrared overlays, and allow for multitouch (the U series is waterproof too). Two glitches: 1) I had to import it from Australia (didn't care as I passed off the cost to the client) and 2) they only have 1 widescreen overlay at 18.5". All the others are 4:3, but this didn't matter at the time for my client as these were going to be used for a 17" DIY kiosk.

The other company I looked at, at the time, was Keytec's Multitouch. They have a bunch of kits, including an overlay and "underlay" or inside the case kits, and offer widescreen sizes. Only thing is I don't remember what type of kits they were (infrared, capacitive, or resistive).

3. mcdragon2

mcdragon2 New Member

thanks i found a capacitive touch one on digikey that might work but i need to look to see if I could hook it up in place of the touch pad. don't have enough money at the moment to drop a few hundred into a project that might not work how i want it to