Adjustable stereo base expander?

Discussion in 'Effects and the DSP' started by AleXH, Mar 11, 2012.

1. AleXH

AleXH Member

Stereo base adjust from 0% (mono) to 200% (expanded stereo), 100% - bypass. Whether there is such effect for kX3550?

2. janez

janez Active Member

You can wire up something like that in the dsp Window yourself.
    All you need ist 2 channels of a mixer and a phase switch.
    Route the signal to two stereo inputs and swap the channels (L+R) on one of them.
    Insert a phase switch, that you can bypass anytime, for one of the inputs, so you have the choice between creating a mono signal when you open that second fader, or widening the stereo base.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  3. Max M.

Max M. h/h member-shmember

Îòâåò: Adjustable stereo base expander?

something like this:
    Code:
    name "Stereo Width (Extreme)"
    guid "8CCD061C-DBEC-4410-B47B-EBD51F69D667"

input   iL, iR
    output  L, R
    control Width = .5; 0% - mono, 50% - bypass, 100% - sides only
    temp    M

interp  M, iL,  .5, iR
    macints L, iL, -3i, iR
    macints R, iR, -3i, iL
    macs    L, M, L, Width
    macs    L, M, L, Width
    macs    R, M, R, Width
    macs    R, M, R, Width

end

see also http://www.hardwareheaven.com/general-discussion/207926-front-stereo-separation.html

4. janez

janez Active Member

very cool! :)
    works great, thanks Max

5. AleXH

AleXH Member

Max M.
    Thank you very much. Ìàêñèì, âû íàñòîÿùèé ÷åë, áîëüøîå ÷åëîâå÷åñêîå ñïàñèáî :)
    24bits signal don't degrade quality when used this effect?

And old my request about parametric equalizer with Bessel (minimal phase rotation) function for 3550? Sound P1 and P5 is not good... Tnx

P.S. At first look sound very nice.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  6. Max M.

No.

Well, Bessel filter has this property (minimal phase distortion) only in analog and does not have it in digital domain (due to finite sampling frequency).
    In fact, you already have Bessel filters (of second order) with kX's equalizers (as well as with most of other EQs available). The biquad filter which is typically used in EQs is a generalized form of second-order IIR capable of producing any frequency/phase response of any other second-order or first-order IIR filter (including those Butterworth, Chebyshev, Bessel etc. things). It's just a matter of setting a corresponding bandwidth/slope/Q.
    For example:
    EQP5's lowpass with bandwidth 1.00 is the Butterworth filter with same cutoff frequency,
    EQP5's lowpass with bandwidth 0.25 is the Bessel filter with some other cutoff frequency (due to different definition of the cutoff point),
    etc. etc...

If you're really looking for a linear-phase digital filters then your choice is a FIR-based EQs (but those are impossible in kX since even basic one band FIR-based EQ would require more multiplies-per-sample than the DSP can handle).

Any proofs (measurements, blind-tests)?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  7. AleXH

AleXH Member

Max M.
    Possible add level adjust with two digit after point accuracy from -3.00dB to +3.00dB (or +-6.00)? When change stereo base at time changed volume level. Use additional gain effect for compensation is not comfortable - for direct sound need switch off two effect instead one.

About P1,P5 - this my suspicion. Now don't have possibility do blind tests, how do this write about results.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  8. Max M.

AleXH

Ìîæåò ëó÷øå íà ðóññêîì òóò?
    À òî ñëîæíî äåêîäèðîâàòü ïîñëå àâòîìàòè÷åñêîãî ïåðåâîä÷èêà - ñëîâà âî ôðàçû íå ñêëàäûâàþòñÿ ;).

P.S. Either way (for english-readers interested in my answer):
    Q. Is it possible to add level adjust control?
    A. Yes, it is - but do not expect Max to do that. First of all a "dB-marked" control would require writing a full-fledged plugin dll (and I don't have time and interest for this). Secondly, an alternative way - i.e. adding a basic "abstract 0...100%" fader is too simple and too boring task for me (I would feel stupid and useless with writing endless mods for all those mini-dsp-kernels I have ever posted). So, yep, this is yet another "Need it? - Do it yourself!" thing.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012