Advantages of using Audigy2 ZS drivers.

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Caleb, May 11, 2004.

1. Caleb

Caleb New Member

hey guys,

I own an Audigy2, and now I've downloaded the Audigy2 ZS driver CD and modded it (thanks BONEHEAD!)

Anyways, after updating from the website, these are my current software/driver versions:
    Speaker Settings: 1.50.10
    Surround Mixer: 3.50.09
    Theme Engine: 2.00.15
    EAX Console: 2.02.05
    DVD-Audio Player: 1.50.08
    SoundFont Bank Manager: 1.00.21
    WaveStudio: 5.00.06
    MediaSource Player: 2.02.06

Latest Driver: 5.12.1.443 2/23/2004

The latest Audigy2 driver was also 5.12.1.443 after doing the EAX4 updates.

So what are the advantages of using the Audigy2 ZS drivers on the Audigy2 anyways? If both of the drivers are THE SAME?
    The software is newer, though you cannot use the Equaliser or the DTS settings (i suppose DTS decoding is in hardware??)

I've seen the patch on the other thread, I've compared the versions in the patch and the current ones I have, they seem to be older, I think the guy just took older .dlls from his Audigy2.. I don't like replacing new files with older ones.

2. Kalisto

Kalisto New Member

dont really know:oops: ....but i like em:rofl:

3. f0rbez

f0rbez New Member

Apparently, if you have an audigy2 you only need to update the pfmod.dll file in the ShareDLL directory. That is suppose to allow the broken programs to work. Make a backup and try it. Let me know if it works cause I havent gotten around to it yet.

4. rico01

rico01 Audio Junkie

The main advantage as I percieve it is not the drivers per se, because they are basically the same when it comes to A2 vs A2 ZS versions. The main advantage is that you get access to a few new applications which before was A2 ZS only and not possible to have with an older A2 card. The new (or newer) applications have more options and settings to play around with (such as a third CMSS option and the THX console).

When it comes to sound quality, I can't say it was such a big difference.

// Rico

5. jpinard

jpinard New Member

forbez, where can I download just that dll? And what broken programs does it fix?

6. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

the audigy 2 and audigy 2 zs differ only with the amount of outputs. the basic hardware chips (10k2, p16v) are the same. Perhaps modding the id IC to read the value of the ZS will allow the drivers to install

7. Bellator

Bellator New Member

And how would one do that dj? ;)

And you're saying that if that were to work then I could possibly dl the standalone THX console from the soundblaster site and have it install?

8. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

yes, there was a guide somewhere of people modding the IC on a soundblaster live! to make the system read it as a live! 5.1, as both the live! and the audigy series are based on the 10kX series chips there will be an 8pin IC somewhere on the board, using a PIC programming device you can read/write to these… but you need to know the exact values that need to be changed.Otherwise your card is dead (windows will not pick it up properly)