Advice needed

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Blazer, Apr 14, 2006.

  1. Blazer

    Blazer Tweeker

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2002
    Messages:
    605
    Likes Received:
    3
    Trophy Points:
    28
  2. OldBuzzard

    OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

    Joined:
    May 25, 2003
    Messages:
    2,777
    Likes Received:
    145
    Trophy Points:
    88
    I think that I would wait. You have a decent system as it is, and any AGP vid card upgrade wouldn't give you that much boost, especially if you consider price/performance. Same with the memory. 1 Gig is plenty for 'right now'.

    Since you are running an Intel, wait for the Conroe, and see what it brings to the table. Then you can go to a MUCH faster PCI-E vid card, and 2 gig of memory. Even if you don't go with the Conroe, it 'should' drive down the prices of the other Intel processors which would help in keeping down the costs of your upgrade.

    Just my humble $.02, and I'm sure that there are others that may have a different view.
     
  3. Al_Vampyre

    Al_Vampyre Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2003
    Messages:
    1,512
    Likes Received:
    40
    Trophy Points:
    58
    If you're planning a major upgrade in about 5 months I would say hold off for 2 reasons.

    1 - DX10 capable graphics cards should be appearing around then (maybe a couple of months later)

    2 - Both Conroe and AM2 are going to require DDR2 so you'd only get a few months use out of your RAM

    On the other hand another gig of ddr400 can be had reasonably cheaply so if you're playing a lot of BF2 then it might be worth it.
     

Share This Page

visited