Advice on Ad Blocking Software?

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by Jitter, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Jitter

Jitter Active Member

I am looking for a good program to block ads. What I want is something that is very customizeable. I want to be able to point to an ad or specific ads (flash and regular) on a page and block them. Alot of the software seems to either block all adds or none. I would like to be able manually ad or remove parts of pages to a block list. Anybody know of any good software for this or a manual way of doing it?

Thanks

2. AttroPheed

AttroPheed New Member

the firefox extension adblock also google for the adblocking userContent.css for firefox which should take care of a good percentage of ads and iframes automatically.

3. Jitter

Jitter Active Member

I read about adblock when i was searching around, it seemed pretty good. I do have firefox, but I dont really use it as my main browser yet. I did find one I am pretty happy with now (Ad muncher). It was a very small dl (177kb) and it pretty much has what I was looking for. Although you cant point and click to block ads, when a page loads up you can see a log of all files being loaded on that page. From the log you can choose to add a filter to any of the URLs/files and it has several options raning from totally blocking the url to just removing specific parts of it, pictures, forms, etc etc. On the log page there is also a search button so you can search for specific things like "gif, jpg. swf" to make it easier to block what your looking for.

4. Zelig

Zelig Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've been using Admuncher since March 2003, it's quite nice.

I just wish I could set it up on my server to filter ads from there to all my computers rather than having it installed on my client computers.

It is possible to point and click to block ads with admuncher, check their forums if you want, or if you can't find it easily there, I can dig it up and explain how to.

5. Jitter

Jitter Active Member

I will have to check that out. I used one called ad annihilator it was really cool, but it was actually a little over the top from what i wanted. It seemed pretty complicated to fully understand all of the options and such. It had a mode called sniper mode where when you put the cursor on ad (flash or otherwise) it would highlight it and you coud shoot it. Or you could just hold cntrl-alt-b. The only problem was on some pages even though only the ad was outlined it seemed to wipe out more than it should.

6. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

BiGBrOwNPimpsta HH's #1 Hustla and Pimp

i use xp service pack 2's popup blocker, google toolbar and ms antispyware and i have no problems. if your a bit more concerned spybot is good and if your not a fan of ms antispyware, use ad-aware